hartleymartin

Modelling an NSWGR KA Tramcar using laser-cutting.

33 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

Not sure how I let that goof get to the laser-cutter

oh, it’s very easy, believe me. There are a lot of different parts that have to be defined, and I’d say it would be unusual to get everything right the first go.

Here’s how I know. It was not the first iteration of the coach, and I’m designing the brake now, which will be even flakier until I get my first test build done. :)

post-14192-0-04347400-1515875239_thumb.jpg

your model is looking fantastic.

Had to make a few adjustments to the roof underframe. It was about 1mm too long and needed a few passes of the file down the sides to fit inside the built up body.

Had a real hard time figuring out how to attach the arc roof to the frame, until I remembered that clothes pegs are basically lots of tiny spring clamps.

645255532_KATestBuild04.jpg.2f208d38ee0e70fa67e415ae958838c7.jpg

• Like 2

Can anyone offer suggestions as to suitable card materials for the roof? Whilst it was cut in 0.8mm laser-ply, I have found that the roof is too stiff, and the sides will leave irregular gaps. I'm wondering if it may be better to design it so that the roof and body are one piece that separates from the chassis for the purposes of interior painting, detailing, etc.

2 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

Can anyone offer suggestions as to suitable card materials for the roof? Whilst it was cut in 0.8mm laser-ply, I have found that the roof is too stiff, and the sides will leave irregular gaps. I'm wondering if it may be better to design it so that the roof and body are one piece that separates from the chassis for the purposes of interior painting, detailing, etc.

Normal plasticard? 

The only trouble with plasticard is that I've had warpage problems over the years and as this is an unsupported roof over an end verandah, I want something that will stay put for the most part.

At one stage, I was going to just use strips of scale timber glued together and sanded to shape in the manner of carvel planking, but not something I'd recommend.

• Informative/Useful 1

A re-design of the kit is that the body and roof will glue up as one piece and the floor/chassis will be a separate piece. I have to re-design a few things since the arrangement of the tabs and slots assumes building the body on top of the floor, but this will ensure that the roof forms perfectly to the body.

Found these in a facebook group about the Camden to Campbelltown tramline...

KA 778 arriving at Parramatta Park 9-3-1972

crriage.jpg.072f976ba7fc9952e34dc99736122518.jpg

KA 778 at Cootamundra, January 1972. It had been a First Aid station.

crriage2.jpg.b14306b3a398a694ee13d89ef02b0874.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1

An old venetian blind slat could work for the roof, especially if you can get one from an older house with the wider slats.  I have a stock of them which I have used in the past for 4 wheel vans and a small railmotor.