Fixing wire runs under the layout

Tony Davis

I’m sure I’ve seen layouts were the builder has affixed the wire run to the underside of the layout using what looks like a plastic tape folded over the wires and held in place with a screw. I’ve tried looking for such a thing in my local shops but the nearest I can find are cable ties which a) are too thin to put a screw through and, b) bl**dy difficult to get undone again without recourse to cutters.

Is the thing I have tried to describe really a thing, or have people just adapted something else?

Ta

• RMweb Premium

You can use a staple gun to attach cable ties.

As suggested use releasable ones, or standard ones and leave them loose, until you think you have finished the cabling before tightening them, but never fully. Then later when you find you haven't finished the wiring, cut them off and start again!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Crosland said:

Binding combs are also useful.

Yep I cut them in three or four and screw them in at regular intervals, use a thin screwdriver to lift several combs at a time and they are fast to use and handy for holding the board connectors safely out of harms way during transit too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There are numerous solutions,

There are clips which are screwed to the baseboard , which hold releaseable cable ties,

There are P Clips as Mentioned before,

There velcro ties as mentioned before,

Binding combs I'd not thought of.. I must investigate..

There are u clips you can screw to the baseboard and either tie wrap, or going back a bit loom and lace to..

There is Spiral wrap for the cables which can be attached to the baseboard.

There is cable ducting (Plastic) which you can screw on (don't trust double sided tape) and put you wires into.

You can drill holes through the baseboard supports feed the wires through and tywrap the rest.. (that's a real pain getting individual wires out later!!)

You can hot melt glue, the wire to the baseboard.  That's actually how most electronic equipment is done today cheap and easy unless you need to remove a wire..

Oh and an old way, make a channel of timber along the board with a plywood cap put on when finished wiring..

Reduce wiring.. the Builder of the layout I inherited, had + and - wired from each power supply and there were 12 PSU's !!!   I reduced that to 3 PSUs with a common return...

Me... I haven't got a preference, But it must be easily accessable, and modifiable.. 

Ohh using something like this as a wiring harness in the first place helps 

802468a[1].jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And one more!

I 3d printed some of these, screw fix the red base to the baseboard, place the cables in place and slide the clip through. If you need to add/remove, pull the clip back, adjust the cables and re-clip. 

992739972_Cableclip.jpg.50e8d5e2d68597da660bfb7ebb9db940.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Now that last solution is really neat, brilliant.

Not with my fingers, I would spend half an hour trying get hold of the bloody thing to slide it out!:jester:

In all seriousness, it is a very neat solution.:good:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, JimFin said:

And one more!

I 3d printed some of these, screw fix the red base to the baseboard, place the cables in place and slide the clip through. If you need to add/remove, pull the clip back, adjust the cables and re-clip. 

11 hours ago, ColinK said:

Now that last solution is really neat, brilliant.

9 hours ago, royaloak said:

Not with my fingers, I would spend half an hour trying get hold of the bloody thing to slide it out!:jester:

In all seriousness, it is a very neat solution.:good:

I agree - that is neat.

However, you might not even need to 3D print the red part of that setup - something similar has been available, ready made, for decades (OK - not exactly the same - but easy to modify using a file or scalpel - and they don't cost a fortune, either):

Cable tie base - from TLC website.

Huw.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, RobjUK said:

You can also get self-adhesive "twist loc" tie base. Instantly openable and closable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUGZ2GO-Cable-Tie-Twist-Lock-Bunny-Ears-Choose-from-3-sizes-Natural/321676677157

Though I'd stick a screw in as well, I've used various self adhesive attachments. and the one you don't want to fall off, does,  after the wires are in the way..

21 hours ago, JimFin said:

And one more!

can you point us at the STL for these?

• RMweb Gold

To be fair usually the glue sticks to wood but as the wood is usually ply or mdf it either delaminates or splinters peel off until it falls off! I use 10mm screws to hold the combs on just driven straight through the plastic in the middle. 

D3E2CB93-9B96-4581-9DF6-CE6495977F93.jpeg.f6e5e12ca52cbd7af687dc8594538cbb.jpeg

I keep my wiring in place with a large staple gun and heavy duty staples. When they first go in they leave the wires loose. In this condition they are easily removed with a screwdriver. When you are sure that you have the wires where you want them, tap the staples with a pin hammer to tighten them.