Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

I don't think I've seen this elsewhere on RMweb, however a narrow gauge website had news that Model Rail Magazine has announced a Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009 (being their own independent production ;

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24977-vale-of-rheidol-2-6-2-in-009-from-model-rail-magazine/#comments

image.png.3e8779c93cf8982eff8c2165b84d9275.pngimage.png.1344debde35c793eeee1b4adf8259992.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

If it's in a queue behind the E1, one should be prepared to be elastic in one's understanding of "soon". On the other hand, if it's in partnership with a different firm, or entirely in-house as you suggest, I suppose it could progress in parallel and possibly even more quickly.

I knew the Vale of Rheidol best as a child in the 70s, so the picture they've used is particularly satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I knew the Vale of Rheidol best as a child in the 70s, so the picture they've used is particularly satisfying. 

For exactly the same reason, that photo put a big smile on my face too!

Pete T.

P.S.  I know, I know, it shouldn't look right at all in BR Blue... but it just does.

• Like 1

I like the BR blue because it’s just a little bit different. But I’ll possibly also print for a BR Green loco too. And I’ll have to pick one up if they do the faux Cambrian livery that one of the locos was wearing a few years ago 

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I think we mostly remember them in BR blue hence our affection for the livery, thank goodness they didn't add yellow ends.

But you can have a yellow one as Prince Of Wales was yellow at one point.

775530_e9a5cd85.jpg

© Copyright John Firth and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I think we mostly remember them in BR blue hence our affection for the livery, thank goodness they didn't add yellow ends.

If I recall correctly, there was a plan to give them wasp stripes at one point in time. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

An interesting development indeed. I had a quick chat to George Dent on the Saturday afternoon and he said that it was very early stages and liveries hadn't been decided upon yet (I suspect they'll have a good idea, just not wanting to go public yet. Understandably with their other announcements just in their infancy) He also mentioned Heljan being involved, but I'm not sure if that is just on an advisory capacity or being produced in conjunction with them.

Never the less, I had suspected something like this to come from Bachmann in the future, as they could add rolling stock to the range with the locos. I know Dundas do the earlier carriages, and the modern ones were available as etched kits, but the latter are quite hard to find. Hopefully Peco might jump on board with coaching stock to compliment the locos instead.

Still looking forward to seeing this develop and finding out more info as it becomes available.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 22:19, Compound2632 said:

If it's in a queue behind the E1, one should be prepared to be elastic in one's understanding of "soon". On the other hand, if it's in partnership with a different firm, or entirely in-house as you suggest, I suppose it could progress in parallel and possibly even more quickly.

The Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T is a Model Rail project which does not involve any of the existing suppliers (Dapol/Bachmann/Rapido/Heljan). It is not in any queue. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

It was in their survey some time back. I voted for it hoping it would win. The last BR operated steam engines. Looks like they have. But who will make it? Heljans 00-9 locos got an early bad reputation (not sure if it iron out since). But here is hoping.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

But who will make it? 

2 hours ago, dibber25 said:

The Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T is a Model Rail project which does not involve any of the existing suppliers (Dapol/Bachmann/Rapido/Heljan). It is not in any queue. (CJL)

From which one concludes that Model Rail are dealing with a factory directly or have their own manufacturing facility. Likewise they either have an in-house designer or a freelance designer under contract, or design work is being done at the factory. I would assume that it's not worth asking as they have no doubt very good reasons for not saying.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Personally livery-wise I'm hoping for the later BR blue with lining and metal logo.

Adventure_In_Narrow_Gauge_-_3_(8656039010).jpg.37ce14a813fb3dc117b0b48a080ae131.jpg

9_05.jpg.0ba16b11faf01ef4ca0169b70f6cebfe.jpg

COPYRIGHT UNKNOWN

Having first encountered the VoR in the days of BR lined green locos and chocolate & cream coaches, I studiously stayed away from the railway whilst they were desecrated by BR diesel / electric blue !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Big step from the platform to the footboard. Not very high, but still risky for the less able !

Boarding is from the other side, not the platform.