Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

• phil gollin changed the title to Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this, the credit card is already twitching in anticipation of purchasing at least 3, one of each locomotive, in various liveries. Hopefully it'll be as visually impressive as the Heljan Manning Wardles but with the running ability and reliability of the Bachmann Baldwins. Then Model Rail really would have a winner on their hands, particularly if they achieve a sub-£200 price.

• Agree 1

It's a good choice of locomotive to produce, and I'm not at all surprised that someone picked this prototype up. Unlike most of the RTR 009 engines we've had so far, this has the advantage of a strong nostalgia factor - how many young holidaymakers would have encountered these on trips to Wales? If someone produced coaches as well, I could see it inspiring a whole raft of Aberystwyth-inspired layouts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 15:27, wainwright1 said:

Big step from the platform to the footboard. Not very high, but still risky for the less able !

Not so big now, as the railway runs to a purpose built platform and the guards can provide an additional step to assist entry if required

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sem34090 said:

As I'm now living in Aberystwyth on a full-time basis I think at least one of these is a must, but all three will be needed eventually.

My impression of Aberystwyth - though I may be out-of-date not having been there for forty years - is that it's the sort of place where the permanent residents are only living on a part-time basis.

• Funny 4

On 04/12/2019 at 17:56, phil gollin said:

Lots of options ;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNDEwZYRu_kjxkZLTrs2_

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4bqeanbX-M1LUtnuUOLD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZUNeQb3ZkKf6cKBQdHO7

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3zXgl64pyLYWaFCtVMTr

And remember, the lower Cambrian one isn’t black but ‘invisible green’. I think the red one is actually based on the German livery carried by Graf Schwerin-Lowitz at Brecon and its use at the VoR dates originally to when they were under common ownership.

https://www.bmr.wales/about-bmr/our-locomotives/arn-jung

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a picture in a book of a Rheidol loco (I think in this livery) actually hauling trains at Brecon, though I can’t remember when or which loco. 

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

My impression of Aberystwyth - though I may be out-of-date not having been there for forty years - is that it's the sort of place where the permanent residents are only living on a part-time basis.

Doesn't it have a large student population these days? (UoW)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Huge campus outside of the town.

If you want to watch the typical climate, search out the BBC Wales crime series "Hinterland" (in either its Welsh, or English, version)  -  rain, rain, rain !   

The series revolves around a mythical childrens's home at Devil's Bridge (where the Vale of Rheidol railway runs to  -  and the railway is NEVER shown !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Doesn't it have a large student population these days? (UoW)

True; I had a colleague whose son was there, chiefly for the sea-rowing, or so it seemed. It used to be noted for librarianship. I had a friend whose first degree was in theology but went on to do a Dip. Inf. Studies which was widely misinterpreted as a course in looking at things from the other point of view.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Huge campus outside of the town.

If you want to watch the typical climate, search out the BBC Wales crime series "Hinterland" (in either its Welsh, or English, version)  -  rain, rain, rain !   

The series revolves around a mythical childrens's home at Devil's Bridge (where the Vale of Rheidol railway runs to  -  and the railway is NEVER shown !

Not quite.  In the third series one of the characters is a fitter in the (old) shed at Aber and one or two scenes are shot in there - he's seen working on the carriages.

The Devil's Bridge scenes are shot in and around the Hafod Hotel and on the road bridge (a couple of the victims get tipped over the side).  The railway terminus is round the corner out of sight.

Hinterland is well worth watching if you haven't seen it - very atmospheric (and not just the rain)!

• Like 2

I nearly went to Uni in Aberystwyth. At the time they had a very good History department (probably still do).

The railway would have been a bonus, but having lived in small towns in Wales previously I reckon I would have gotten bored pretty quickly and it's not like you have a large city on your doorstep. This was when I was slightly older rather than a fresh faced teenager, but I'm afraid I'm very much a city dweller.

Jason

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I nearly went to Uni in Aberystwyth. At the time they had a very good History department (probably still do).

The railway would have been a bonus, but having lived in small towns in Wales previously I reckon I would have gotten bored pretty quickly and it's not like you have a large city on your doorstep. This was when I was slightly older rather than a fresh faced teenager, but I'm afraid I'm very much a city dweller.

Jason

As a current history student at Aberystwyth I believe they might very well still have a good history department.

Not that I would actually know, given this blasted online 'teaching' which I'm sorry to say I'm finding impossible to engage with.

I was slightly worried about being bored, originating from the South East, but I've found it to be a beautiful place and would really quite like to settle here long term. Obviously as an enthusiast of narrow gauge railways there couldn't be a better part of the UK to be living in. Also, with my Talyllyn membership I get into most of them for free...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/11/2019 at 17:56, Phil Bullock said:

Must have come through Abbotswood on a Weltrol en route to Swindon Works,,,,,,

........so it could be overhauled and have its dome replaced by a giant humbug!! :mosking:

(Photo date 27/3/77)

1721741462_770327_VoRNo9SwinWks-Copy.jpg.1e0bf53380b39000dd7c8ba93e49edc6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

When I knew the VoR best, mid-late 70s, the engines and carriages were all in plain all-over blue (just like the DMUs and EMUs at home in Brum, so a proper train). When did they gain the black and white lining? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

........so it could be overhauled and have its dome replaced by a giant humbug!! :mosking:

(Photo date 27/3/77)

1721741462_770327_VoRNo9SwinWks-Copy.jpg.1e0bf53380b39000dd7c8ba93e49edc6.jpg

Mint condition?

• Funny 7