Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Any idea as to when pre-orders will be up for the models?

As PaulRHB has mentioned above, our client - Model Rail own the project and will provide further information when they are ready to release it. We (Revolution Trains) are just managing the project for them and to their specifications. 

Hope that helps.

Mike B 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2023 at 16:33, Revolution Mike B said:

As PaulRHB has mentioned above, our client - Model Rail own the project and will provide further information when they are ready to release it. We (Revolution Trains) are just managing the project for them and to their specifications. 

Hope that helps.

Mike B 

Good news for me then, more time to get my locos and stock finished before all this rtr makes VoR too  easy 😋

#hairshirt

IMG_20231124_101731.jpg

IMG_20231124_101754.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a few questions asked about the loco so I thought I’d post some information for people to reference back to.

The original radius curve specified for the loco is 457mm, however, as a light engine, it easily managed 263mm when tested.

Despite the considerable overhang and body mounted couplings, both loco and coaches ran through 305mm radius crossovers without issue. We will test again using 263mm but please don’t be surprised if that’s a little too optimistic.

At present, there are two versions of the loco. DC, and DCC Sound. The DC version has a blanking plate fitted to the decoder socket. The DCC sound version will have a Next 18 decoder fitted. There may be a DCC only fitted version but that will be for Model Rail to decide nearer the time of production.

Access to the decoder is via the smoke box door, and the decoder pcb is simply pulled forward to gain access for those of you wishing to fit non sound decoders. 

The factory fitted sugar cube speaker is also inside the boiler behind the smoke box door and sits below the decoder pcb. 

The loco has a glowing firebox, which works on DC and DCC.

The firebox doors can be opened and closed by using something small such as a blunt cocktail stick to push a brass lever inside the cab - DCC controlling this was a stretch too far. 😉

The loco is modelled up until 1986 with livery options and RRP still to be finalised.

Hopefully that helps to cover a few questions that have been asked. 

As a further note, The Vale of Rheidol Railway has been very helpful in assisting us and it’s an absolute pleasure to be working on this project. 

I’ll post another update in the New Year once we’ve had a chance to make some small design changes and carry out further testing.

Cheers Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

I’ve had a few questions asked about the loco so I thought I’d post some information for people to reference back to.

The original radius curve specified for the loco is 457mm, however, as a light engine, it easily managed 263mm when tested.

Despite the considerable overhang and body mounted couplings, both loco and coaches ran through 305mm radius crossovers without issue. We will test again using 263mm but please don’t be surprised if that’s a little too optimistic.

At present, there are two versions of the loco. DC, and DCC Sound. The DC version has a blanking plate fitted to the decoder socket. The DCC sound version will have a Next 18 decoder fitted. There may be a DCC only fitted version but that will be for Model Rail to decide nearer the time of production.

Access to the decoder is via the smoke box door, and the decoder pcb is simply pulled forward to gain access for those of you wishing to fit non sound decoders. 

The factory fitted sugar cube speaker is also inside the boiler behind the smoke box door and sits below the decoder pcb. 

The loco has a glowing firebox, which works on DC and DCC.

The firebox doors can be opened and closed by using something small such as a blunt cocktail stick to push a brass lever inside the cab - DCC controlling this was a stretch too far. 😉

The loco is modelled up until 1986 with livery options and RRP still to be finalised.

Hopefully that helps to cover a few questions that have been asked. 

As a further note, The Vale of Rheidol Railway has been very helpful in assisting us and it’s an absolute pleasure to be working on this project. 

I’ll post another update in the New Year once we’ve had a chance to make some small design changes and carry out further testing.

Cheers Mike B

Hopfully either ya'll with Model Rail Magazine or either Peco or Bachmann make some r-t-r coaching stock to go with the locos.

• Agree 1

On 02/12/2023 at 06:57, 9402 Fredrick said:

Hopfully either ya'll with Model Rail Magazine or either Peco or Bachmann make some r-t-r coaching stock to go with the locos.

Even if they don't, it seems most VoR stock is available as plastic kits.   Should be a bit more palatable.

14 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Even if they don't, it seems most VoR stock is available as plastic kits.   Should be a bit more palatable.

Not the more modern 1938 built GW coaching stock though (that I am aware). The current kits are of the original coaches

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I have looked at them with plastic in mind but the problems are as follows.  As far as I remember the both coaches need 2 dies for sides because they aren’t identical. On the open coaches the mesh is very fine. And finally are any of the RTR manufacturers thinking about them? They like lots of liveries and there certainly lots of them!

Roger

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Westcliff Workshops are developing 3d printed kits for the VoR coaches and brake van. They don't currently have a web presence but CAD of the original style coaches can be seen here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1013134236485255/posts/1072891513842860/ 

Print quality on their TR stock tends to be good, so I imagine these will be the same

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, finelines said:

I have looked at them with plastic in mind but the problems are as follows.  As far as I remember the both coaches need 2 dies for sides because they aren’t identical.

The 1938 Brake Thirds needs two different sides, but those on the 1938 Thirds are the same both sides, though each 'compartment' section only has a door on one side (the middle one has none, so accessed via the, now removed, tip-up seats only).

Edited by BernardTPM

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2023 at 12:32, Revolution Mike B said:

Cheers Mike B

This is all brilliant Mike!

I know it's not technically accurate given the engine being modelled, but when it comes to liveries I'd love to see one produced in the early 1902-1923 liveries!

8 hours ago, drt7uk said:

This is all brilliant Mike!

I know it's not technically accurate given the engine being modelled, but when it comes to liveries I'd love to see one produced in the early 1902-1923 liveries!

Hasn’t one of them (the one subject to the ‘accountancy rebuild’) appeared in various pseudo-Cambrian liveries over the years? Most recently ‘invisible green’.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looking at the EP photo(s), both the name and number plates look like they are going to be separately-fitted items (so not moulded-on). Do we know whether the final models will come with those plates already pre-fitted, or left off for the customer to fit (perhaps with the name tampo-printed on the side anyway, as some manufacturers do)? Only asking, as it would be a shame to have to potentially damage the model (taking the plates off), if you wanted to do a freelance version (either with no name or number, or with fictitious ones).

TIA

Steve N

20 hours ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Looking at the EP photo(s), both the name and number plates look like they are going to be separately-fitted items (so not moulded-on). Do we know whether the final models will come with those plates already pre-fitted, or left off for the customer to fit (perhaps with the name tampo-printed on the side anyway, as some manufacturers do)? Only asking, as it would be a shame to have to potentially damage the model (taking the plates off), if you wanted to do a freelance version (either with no name or number, or with fictitious ones).

TIA

Steve N

There hasn't been any confirmation of liveries/running numbers etc yet so until we see those and decorated samples I suspect you won't get an answer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2024 at 21:43, Revolution Mike B said:

On Monday, we took one of the EP samples along to the VoR for them to have a look at. What we didn’t envisage is that the little Rheidol Tank would make its way around various parts of the real Rheidol Tank, and even get to erm……run on the real railway! 

IMG_4447.jpeg.4dfff1e134d84d8b50f91e9679b01876.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg.89460098217a4f584ead7a6d3758120d.jpeg

IMG_4434.jpeg.3b8fc83caede172ffe6d1c8d6e3b286d.jpeg

IMG_4431.jpeg.80ebc6ffa0b91854f1ab0b1eaead781b.jpeg

We (Revolution Trains) are waiting for livery confirmation from Model Rail Magazine, which I believe is fairly imminent (although please don’t ask me which liveries as I do not know), and then the next stage will be to display some decorated samples. 

For those of you who saw the other EP sample at Warley and have commented directly to myself, we are waiting for the factory to return from Chinese New Year and will be making two small changes. One to the crank arm assembly, and the second change will be to the lower buffer beam guards in order to allow the loco to run on slightly sharper inclines. 

I must add, the Vale of Rheidol Railway have been very helpful providing information to help us refine the model, and having visited a few times now, it’s an incredibly wonderful narrow gauge railway set in some stunning scenery.  

Cheers

Mike B 

Hi Mike, just wondered if there was any update? Thank you

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hi Mike, just wondered if there was any update? Thank you

These models are a commission for Model Rail so information about them will be in the magazine, including livery selections and ordering details.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1