Model Rail Magazine Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T in 009

phil gollin

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

When I knew the VoR best, mid-late 70s, the engines and carriages were all in plain all-over blue (just like the DMUs and EMUs at home in Brum, so a proper train). When did they gain the black and white lining? 

I went in September 1977 so Prince of Wales was in service like that. Several of the coaches also had the black and white lining on the lower panels.

I think this was the first application of a brass Double Arrow, some years before the GW150 ones. Metal ones before that were aluminium (or stainless steel?) finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, BernardTPM said:

I went in September 1977 so Prince of Wales was in service like that. Several of the coaches also had the black and white lining on the lower panels.

Our family holidays to Borth must have been earlier than I thought.

• Like 1

I've only been to the VoR once, in 1988, when it was still (just) owned and operated by BR, and still have the ticket in a youthful scrap book somewhere! It's certainly somewhere I'd like to go again.

1070665575_ValeofRheidol-August19882.jpg.d17e010218cc90d2a06f5a9ae8e54870.jpg

Of course, one of my early 009 builds was a VoR loco on a Mintrix chassis, which has had a few detail additions, and still runs/turns heads in its BR blue livery. I'd definitely be keen on a BR lined green one to replicate my journey!

IMAG3166.jpg.f6d61e58077d9194bcdc5da32c46a01a.jpg

Looking forward immensely to seeing further developments, though I suspect I'll be ordering a few carriage etches from Worsley Works, unless some RTR ones materialise from somewhere!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 17/04/2022 at 18:51, Edge said:

Any news on this project? Been a while since I’ve seen anything anywhere 

I remember seeing this posted on Facebook showing the CAD images with the below comments. Post dated October 2020:

"Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T: Design work is complete and has been checked and tooling work should start imminently.

The model includes a Next18 decoder socket, provision for sound and our design team is working out whether it's possible to get true firebox flicker which will be visible behind firehole doors that have been designed to open and close."

image.png.152045019541ade468f31fdb5791a899.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Their website is a bit out of date.

It says:

"This week in news – Sep 24th-Oct 1st

A look at the model railway headlines from the last seven days"

Seems to be sleeping....☹️

No mention of Rheidol Valley locos anywhere.

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Their website is a bit out of date.

It says:

"This week in news – Sep 24th-Oct 1st

A look at the model railway headlines from the last seven days"

Seems to be sleeping....☹️

No mention of Rheidol Valley locos anywhere.

It's still advertised in their magazines as one of the locomotives coming soon! 

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they'll report progress when there is progress to report.  Very easy to overlook the rather important fact that model railway manufacture in China had s been all over the place, with considerable delays, for the past couple of years and no customer has been immune from that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/07/2022 at 12:02, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe they'll report progress when there is progress to report.  Very easy to overlook the rather important fact that model railway manufacture in China had s been all over the place, with considerable delays, for the past couple of years and no customer has been immune from that.

There will be news very soon. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There has been a post on a OO-9 group on Facebook giving an update. Currently under dev with RevolutioN trains, an EP expected early next year.

(I was worried this was going to be via Heljan based on their Baldwin....)

My only question, I know its a big loco, but will it cope with 9 inch curves??

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

There has been a post on a OO-9 group on Facebook giving an update. Currently under dev with RevolutioN trains, an EP expected early next year.

(I was worried this was going to be via Heljan based on their Baldwin....)

My only question, I know its a big loco, but will it cope with 9 inch curves??

I think I remember initially it was going to be model rail dealing directly with a factory. The piece says they don't have the time to dedicate to it so revolution are overseeing it on their behalf. 

• Like 1

Time to revive this topic. Email from Model Rail says there is news in the latest magazine out tomorrow. Model Rail are not at Warley with a stand but it is clearly the intention to have some news for the big show. Those VoR RTR coaches cant be far behind now - but by whom?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Glad there is news on this as I'm really looking forward to getting one (or more)

Question is do I bin my current standard gauge Aberystwyth engine shed build and turn it into the VoR narrow gauge shed 😅

PXL_20221008_170926439.jpg.d66be71b5f0e580d0a19131b7dff5896.jpg

Or model the original layout? 

• Agree 1