New Dapol 08 and Hattons V2 decoder

meatloaf

Today I got these 2 items, Dapol 08 and hattons decoder, the decoder being the recommended one by hattons for the loco

https://www.hattons.co.uk/381597/dapol_7d_008_013_class_08_shunter_08717_in_br_blue/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/403552/hattons_originals_dcr_21pin_direct_v2_21_pin_6_function_1_1amp_direct_plug_decoder_with_back_emf/stockdetail.aspx

The loco runs ok on DC, albeit a bit noisy and it hums before it finally moves off. My DC test controller is a generic cheap Hornby train set controller.

I installed the decoder and the loco runs ok in reverse but going forwards it moves a short distance then cuts out and starts moving again.

Ive tried altering a few CVs such as turning off BEMF and increasing the CV2 start voltage.  CV2 is now at 125 and it does run ( mostly )  without stalling, but even on speed step 1 on 128 steps its pretty nippy and the speed dosent increase with the throttle being increased. Im assuming that's because of a high start voltage.

So I changed CV3 to 100 and now it does accelerate slowly, but it then starts to stutter again.

This issues very similar to problems I had with DCC concepts decoders in various 00 locos. The only solution I found was to change the decoders to lenz or zimo.

So does anyone else have any suggestions or anything else I can try?

When running on DC Is it normal for the loco to hum ( and if I put my hand on it I can feel it vibrating ) and need to a fair turn of the dial to get moving?

10 hours ago, meatloaf said:

...the decoder being the recommended one by Hattons

:) 

10 hours ago, meatloaf said:

This issues very similar to problems I had with DCC concepts decoders in various 00 locos.

Who makes the Hattons decoder? Serious question, but I know (or very strongly suspect) that DCC concepts supply other brands besides their own.

If you can try it with a better DC controller, one that you know produces smooth DC. You could even try a 9V battery. Get it working on DC or return it if it can't be made to do so.

Then try the Hattons decoder and another decoder to compare.

I think the hattons chips are made by DCC concepts, even the packaging is similar.

I called in my local shop this morning after the school run and picked up a lenz silver. The loco runs great now with the lenz installed so its obviously a problem with the hattons decoder.  Only issue now is the lenz is only a 4 function decoder so the lights don't work correctly but I can live with that until I get a sound chip for it.