N gauge automated layout - Weston Parkway

toolongtoremember

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

In the nicest possible way that would absolutely have me switching off any live stream and not returning. I don't really 'get' unboxing videos I'll admit, but there is literally nothing that would keep me watching a cardboard box for 9 minutes. If you're getting good visitor numbers then crack on, my 3 year old likes watching Sam's Trains, so there's definitely a market for modelling vlogs, but consider whether anyone wants to see that, or if you're just totally disengaging any would be audience.

Layout looks good though.

Ahah, yes I understand. I was interacting with the audience during those 9 minutes to generate enough chat to last the rest of the video, which it sure did and some. My 30 minute stream turned in to 2 and a half hours in the end! 

• Like 1

Big announcement! 

For ages I have been saying that the automation is being refined, it will be ready soon... 

Well today I managed to run the layout for 3 hours non stop and not a single software error or derailment was had. 

Today I can finally say we have a reliable and interestingly ran layout, whilst packed with trains and lots of action with short headways.  

Here is a quick clip of the automation in action, with prototypical speeds and stopping areas etc. Much more to come as I introduce more trains to the software.

Edited by toolongtoremember
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 08:56, toolongtoremember said:

Big announcement! 

For ages I have been saying that the automation is being refined, it will be ready soon... 

Well today I managed to run the layout for 3 hours non stop and not a single software error or derailment was had. 

Today I can finally say we have a reliable and interestingly ran layout, whilst packed with trains and lots of action with short headways.  

Here is a quick clip of the automation in action, with prototypical speeds and stopping areas etc. Much more to come as I introduce more trains to the software.

That is incredibly impressive! Needs more than just a thumbs up. I've always struggled with the switch to dcc because the old 90s and 87s are key to the wcml feel but aren't available in dcc and the conversation is beyond me. But that's the best advert I've seen so far. That is really impressive.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

That is incredibly impressive! Needs more than just a thumbs up. I've always struggled with the switch to dcc because the old 90s and 87s are key to the wcml feel but aren't available in dcc and the conversation is beyond me. But that's the best advert I've seen so far. That is really impressive.  

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I agree with the 87s and 90s though with the dcc conversion. I have some turbostars I am putting off converting for the time being ad I just don't have the knowledge/skill set yet. 

• RMweb Premium

The 87/90/170 are quite straightforward to convert to DCC. Some filing of the chassis needed, but with no lights or anything they’re much easier to fit than the earlier Farish locos with solder tabs on the PCB. 

18 hours ago, njee20 said:

The 87/90/170 are quite straightforward to convert to DCC. Some filing of the chassis needed, but with no lights or anything they’re much easier to fit than the earlier Farish locos with solder tabs on the PCB. 

It just fills me with horror to take a file to a drive unit! But I will give it a go in time :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 00:33, jamespetts said:

That certainly looks more 21st century! Were you not satisfied with grey?

I liked the grey, but the paint would not fi ish right for me, it was either gloopy or when sanded down, shiny! I had to get rid of that for a more detailed look.