N gauge automated layout - Weston Parkway

toolongtoremember

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2019 at 21:27, toolongtoremember said:

I have amended the track plan to provide better operational fluidity, here is the new updated plan.

That will work a lot better (which you already know).

47 minutes ago, toolongtoremember said:

and I drilled a hole in my hand with a 10mm wood drill bit... 

That’s not not nice.  I chose 1.5mm and that was painful enough: 10mm doesn’t bear thinking about.

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Ben A said:

Hi there,

Modern WR you say?  A Kato IEP is going to look fantastic on those graceful curves!  Thanks for posting - looking forward to following your progress.

cheers

Ben A.

I can not wait to get the IEP! I hope they can run in multiple! Thanks :) 

• Agree 1

Just a little more progress, the two outer loops are nearing completion. I have ordered some more point work from Cheltenham model centre as I am five short (financial issues last time I ordered left me a few short!). Once they're here I can complete the inner loops and start wiring for computer control! 

IMG_20200201_124906.jpg

IMG_20200201_124900.jpg

IMG_20200201_124856.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This morning an order for DCC Concepts ADS-4SX (quantity 3) and ADS-2SX (quantity 1) has gone in. This will allow me to wire up all the points for the computer control to supplement the three ADS-8SX decoders I already have. Lets see how fast DCC concepts can get them to me! :D I have also asked for the small circuit boards that come with them to allow me to power them up on the same DCC circuit, as a common problem before was that they used to overload my DR5000 as they all tried to draw power at once from it! These are required as when the DR5000 starts up with iTrain it works out where all the points are at start up. 

Edited by toolongtoremember

Now it is time to start thinking about naming the layout... I'm wanting to have it as a parkway station, with a large car park to the left of the station. So it should be ________ Parkway. 

No particular region in mind, just as generic as possible as to be able to run anything. 

I find it so difficult to come up with names!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2020 at 14:39, toolongtoremember said:

This morning an order for DCC Concepts ADS-4SX (quantity 3) and ADS-2SX (quantity 1) has gone in. This will allow me to wire up all the points for the computer control to supplement the three ADS-8SX decoders I already have. Lets see how fast DCC concepts can get them to me! :D I have also asked for the small circuit boards that come with them to allow me to power them up on the same DCC circuit, as a common problem before was that they used to overload my DR5000 as they all tried to draw power at once from it! These are required as when the DR5000 starts up with iTrain it works out where all the points are at start up. 

Finally got my order through, however it only contained one ADS-2SX unit. Feeling like I've been done to be fair. 

Could of ordered from Hattons and got the whole unit delivered to where I am for £30, instead DCC Concepts, charged £30 for the unit and £10 for delivery.

Reason is the ADS-4SX units are out of stock even though their website let you order them. Was willing to pay the extra (the RRP as apposed to the resellers prices) to get them all sent quickly as other shops like Hattons show it as out of stock. 

Now I've overpaid on the unit and the postage. 

DCC Concepts have declined my request asking whether they will price match the re-sellers prices. 

Very upset now :(

Edited by toolongtoremember
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I plugged in the DR5000 and crossed my fingers and toes... Switched it on and all worked first time, and reliably too! I have addressed each point now correctly up to point number 24, just awaiting the rest of the decoders. The small units to slow the power draw of the ADS-8SX point decoder units worked wonders and let the layout power up with zero issues, thanks for those JJames from DCC Automation! Made a start on wiring in the DR5088RC block detectors to the track, first DCC loco ran on the first piece of powered track which was about 20cm long! Exciting times!!!

• Like 2

As you can see from all the locos, this half of the fiddle yard is now live! And I've suddenly come to the conclusion that I don't have enough stock... So for the shows I will attend eventually, I'll be looking for guest operators. I have the whole day to work on this, so I hope to have two of the main running lines active and fully functional. 

IMG_20200322_094232.jpg

• Like 4