N gauge automated layout - Weston Parkway

toolongtoremember

I finally caved in waiting for the DCC Concepts ADS4-SX units to arrive. Thanks again to James at DCC train Automation, who once I explained the issue couldn't help me enough, sent out four (the last of his remaining stock) ADS2-SX units out to me, which I have just received. So I can now start to complete the automation. Now this did leave me two short, but I had a train tech PC2 unit which has four outputs but does not have the frog polarity switch integrated. I have used the PC2 for the remaining fiddle yard points for now. 

Here is the bad news; one ADS-2SX and one ADS-8SX have a dead output each. Upon notifying DCC Concepts they are upholding their warranty and replacing those outputs by sending yet two more ADS2-SX units out. I'm actually very pleased with DCC Concepts for this! (plus anything that stops me having to wire up another ADS8-SX unit is a god send!). 

Also following the instructions to the letter with the DR5088RC units to program them it says you must remove the track input only to be powered down and switched off. I did this, and connected it to the laptop for programing, followed by a small "pop". Yup the DR5088RC had fried itself, along with my laptop and all the itrain files! Turns out the DR5088RC units actually remain live if the global is still connected also (even though this is supposed to be an output and the power light is off!). I dismantled my laptop to get the HDD out to retrieve the itrain file, which I managed on my desktop. However the laptop is toast. The motherboard is damaged beyond repair and the processor is of the soldered in kind (i3 5005u).

New to me/second hand laptop on order now. Atleast I'll have an upgrade! 

Sent off mail to digikeijs to see what the course of action is as their instructions lead to the damage. 

More to come! 

Edited by toolongtoremember

I believe that the issue with the DR5088RC is that if you have anything connected to your layout's ground (either through the LocoNet bus or - possibly - the track feed), there might be a voltage potential between that and the USB cable's ground (more likely if you are connecting to a laptop which could easily have a floating ground, especially if its external PSU is not ideal), and a substantial current potentially at many tens of volts might flow in lots of places where it should not flow.

Thus, it is really very important to disconnect or power off everything connected to the DR5088RC when connecting the USB cable to a computer.

The DR5000 command station does not have this issue; presumably, the USB input is opto-isolated, unlike the DR5088RC.

5 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I believe that the issue with the DR5088RC is that if you have anything connected to your layout's ground (either through the LocoNet bus or - possibly - the track feed), there might be a voltage potential between that and the USB cable's ground (more likely if you are connecting to a laptop which could easily have a floating ground, especially if its external PSU is not ideal), and a substantial current potentially at many tens of volts might flow in lots of places where it should not flow.

Thus, it is really very important to disconnect or power off everything connected to the DR5088RC when connecting the USB cable to a computer.

The DR5000 command station does not have this issue; presumably, the USB input is opto-isolated, unlike the DR5088RC.

Yes, and I found out the expensive way! I'm most certainly not an electrician, and as a consumer rely on following the manufacturers instructions so this was a big blow to me.  

New (second hand ebay purchase) laptop arrived today, so work has resumed. 

The offending DR5088RC appears to work using the old addresses that were installed on it before from Weston Town, but will not reprogram over the network via the button method. I can only assume it killed that part of it. 

4 hours ago, njee20 said:

That's really poor design, or at least poor form to not highlight that in enormous bold letters.

Managed to miss this layout, but following with interest!

I know right! We've all learned something today. :( 

To make us happy, I've ran the first lot of automated trains, and they're still moving along behind me. 

Getting anomalous readings from the damaged block controller though... We'll see what Digikeijs do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Having the trains running now must be extremely satisfying!

Tell me about it, so far I have wired up around 100 blocks of track and 34 odd points and programmed them in to the iTrain software. 

Can't wait to see it all prototypically running now. 

• 3 weeks later...

The first run with full automation on all five running lines. Things are looking up! Still a lot of work to go, however the work on the underside of the layout is complete and tidied up and made to resist my manhandling at exhibitions. Next item on the list is to get the platform edging and ballast. Looking to get a heap of peco concrete edging a huuuuge tub of smooth finish filler and woodland scenics light grey fine ballast. Will also have to lay the lineside trunking at this point. 

Schpelling.
  • Like 5

On 19/04/2020 at 20:09, Ben A said:

Hi there,

Great to see the progress you’re making.  Quick question - is there a reason the Voyager and 350 units appear to have their lighting reversed?

cheers

Ben A.

Yes there is, it is because on the 350, the software needed to be told which way to run the train (not me turning the power car which is the panto car around, and I didn't know this when I filmed!) The voyagers dcc chip is plain broken and needs a new one, used cheap lais decoders, but they're only £8 a piece and most of my stock uses them reliably. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2020 at 08:10, toolongtoremember said:

I finally caved in waiting for the DCC Concepts ADS4-SX units to arrive. Thanks again to James at DCC train Automation, who once I explained the issue couldn't help me enough, sent out four (the last of his remaining stock) ADS2-SX units out to me, which I have just received. So I can now start to complete the automation. Now this did leave me two short, but I had a train tech PC2 unit which has four outputs but does not have the frog polarity switch integrated. I have used the PC2 for the remaining fiddle yard points for now. 

Here is the bad news; one ADS-2SX and one ADS-8SX have a dead output each. Upon notifying DCC Concepts they are upholding their warranty and replacing those outputs by sending yet two more ADS2-SX units out. I'm actually very pleased with DCC Concepts for this! (plus anything that stops me having to wire up another ADS8-SX unit is a god send!). 

Also following the instructions to the letter with the DR5088RC units to program them it says you must remove the track input only to be powered down and switched off. I did this, and connected it to the laptop for programing, followed by a small "pop". Yup the DR5088RC had fried itself, along with my laptop and all the itrain files! Turns out the DR5088RC units actually remain live if the global is still connected also (even though this is supposed to be an output and the power light is off!). I dismantled my laptop to get the HDD out to retrieve the itrain file, which I managed on my desktop. However the laptop is toast. The motherboard is damaged beyond repair and the processor is of the soldered in kind (i3 5005u).

New to me/second hand laptop on order now. Atleast I'll have an upgrade! 

Sent off mail to digikeijs to see what the course of action is as their instructions lead to the damage. 

More to come! 

I said there would be more to come, and Digikeijs today have responded and would like me to sen d in the laptop and the damaged DR5088RC unit. So unfortunately no more train running until that come back :(

On 23/04/2020 at 21:17, toolongtoremember said:

We're going for superelevation on the curves, I think it's just what it needs. Cider bottles for weights on the track to set the glue right. 

IMG_20200423_190629.jpg

IMG_20200423_190228.jpg

IMG_20200423_194627.jpg

The superelevation looks really good. The angle looks just right. 

The layouts coming along nicely and the pace you are working it is putting me to shame!

Thanks for all the updates. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

The superelevation looks really good. The angle looks just right. 

The layouts coming along nicely and the pace you are working it is putting me to shame!

Thanks for all the updates. 

All the best,

Dave

Thanks very much! 

I don't have much else to do nowadays, I hope to have an exhibition layout by the time the lockdown is lifted! 

Nick.

Good to see the right materials used for the super elevation,   Cider bottles and cans definitely right for Somerset/Devon , as would beer for most of England and Whisky for Scotland.   I guess they would have to use lumps of coal or slate in Wales.

Looks good, are you intending to run at scale speed?  Using my speed chart and a stop watch I clocked the Duchess at around 55 and the 8 coach HST at 60?

Screenshot (508).png

Edited by DCB

On 01/05/2020 at 16:38, DavidCBroad said:

Good to see the right materials used for the super elevation,   Cider bottles and cans definitely right for Somerset/Devon , as would beer for most of England and Whisky for Scotland.   I guess they would have to use lumps of coal or slate in Wales.

Looks good, are you intending to run at scale speed?  Using my speed chart and a stop watch I clocked the Duchess at around 55 and the 8 coach HST at 60?

I am looking to run scale speeds, hence the scale corners :D I'm going for scale operations with a bit more frequency of services. I have the top speed currently set at a scale 75mph with the automation. Unfortunately I am drinking most of my tools... I must go on an essential trip for some more "tools" shortly :D