N gauge automated layout - Weston Parkway

toolongtoremember

Hi everybody! 

So Weston Town is no more, I will be using the DCC electronics and the point motors from that to create a much bigger, automated layout with proper working block detection and frequent running. 

The new layout will be 14ftx6ft and made up of eight 4ftx2ft baseboards. 

Equipment so far I have;

Digikeijs;

DR5000 control unit

DR5088RC railcom block feedback detection, 16 feedbacks on each unit (x5)

AD8SX eight point accessory decoder units (x3)

Another 4 point accessory decoder with a tam valley dual frog juicer

17 medium peco code 55 unifrog medium points

a box and a half of code 55 flexi track

baseboard pattern marker dowels

"iTrain plus" software to run the layout

I have attached the new layout plan from iTrain to give an idea of what is to come, I just need to find some good plywood and timber to commence building. Local preferred timber merchants have said they will have some good quality in at the end of the week. 

new layout plan.png

Edited by toolongtoremember
  • Like 4

Great!

Will you keep it modern western region?

So at exhibitions you will now be able to operate another small end to end layout whilst this one entertains the crowds!

14 trains available, or are you going to squeeze an extra 4 on the main circuits? We know what you will be asking for Christmas!! 

Edited by muddy water
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, muddy water said:

Great!

Will you keep it modern western region?

So at exhibitions you will now be able to operate another small end to end layout whilst this one entertains the crowds!

14 trains available, or are you going to squeeze an extra 4 on the main circuits? We know what you will be asking for Christmas!! 

It will be a generic British mainline, but of course I have all Western Region modern stock still though. I will be able to run a train every two to three blocks if I wanted, locals reserve a block in front of them and express and freight reserves two blocks ahead to run. A block on the above plan is denoted by the small white square on the running lines and larger white squares in stations. Things about to get interesting! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Did you manage to get one circuit working?

Always good for moral.

As long as the testing/playing does not get in the way of further construction!

Not yet, as I have to install the block sections as I go around and wire in the DR5088RC units to the DR5000. I need to go and get some electrical conduit and some connectors for between the boards to make it as tidy and as resilient as possible for exhibition use. 

1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

Goodness, you'll be finished before me at this rate!

I do like to get a wiggle on!... Backscenes up, ballast areas painted... I know lots of people don't paint the wood under the track before they ballast, but as it's an exhibition layout anything can happen in transit, including ballast coming away so if there's any tiny holes, we won't see any wood coloured bald bits. I have also purchased some electrical pvc conduit which I have, and from China some db9/rs232  breakout connectors and short cables to wire between the baseboards. Now just have to wait for my track I ordered last week to arrive and I can start on laying track and installing point motors. The digital equipment is already installed and awaiting wiring under the layout, with the exception of the Dr5000 control module, which I have on top (and can be seen installed next to my laptop in an earlier post) for two reasons, one I want easy access to plug in to it and two, to show the public what the units look like at shows. 

IMG_20191207_123600.jpg

IMG_20191207_123555.jpg