Northwich Engine Shed

Gravy Train

Hi there,

has anyone got any photos/info with regard to Northwich Shed, all the photos I have seen are of the front, right side without exception.

i know no one wants to photograph the back of a shed but can’t find any of the left side wall looking from front and especially the rear.

thanks for any info.

rgds

Peter A L.

Many thanks for the replies,

its a tricky one for sure, usually a photo showing the rear of an Engine shed is purely incidental as ‘ just happens to be in the scene’ and the focus on the main subject matter at the time.

i guess one Might turn up at some point, from the right side wall view, it looks like there is a house building of some kind, attached to the rear of the Shed, perhaps Shedmaster accommodation in times past.

i will keep looking.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Hi Mike,

thanks for your help, yes I have looked at that but no views showing left wall from front view or rear shed view.

The trouble is, you can’t zoom in for detail unless you are a subscriber to the site.

cheers

Pete

It costs nothing to subscribe, and the zoomable images are great for detail, right down to the grain of the negative.

They don't bombard you with e-mails or anything, but I have to say that the site is addictive in the extreme!!

Regards

Ian

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

thanks very much for the info from our kind members on here, however I am still struggling to find any photo of any kind showing the rear of the shed.

the trouble is with this building, it’s impossible to hazard a guess as to what the rear might be like as there is a house type of building at the rear, attached to the shed.

It looks like it was probably a shed masters house, back in the day if there was ever such a thing, so it makes guesswork terribly difficult, so any input or incidental photo showing this part of the Shed would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks for this.
Peter A L

from my memory of early teenage spotting days in the early 80's, the doorway in the wall lead to the outside but there was a sizable whitewashed area surrounding it with an outline of brickwork suggesting there was some kind of building attached to the side, it cant have been very deep though as the access footpath was down that side of the shed.... the rear of the shed from memory wasn't far from the boundary fence with the road with strengthening buttresses with no space for a building to the rear

Edited by juggy0_1

2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The OS map of 1938 shows nothing behind the engine shed.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/114583246

Cheers

Hi Penrith,

yes, that seals it, the photo I was referring to was one found on Flickr and with careful examination it clearly shows that the house property is over the road from the rear of the shed.

It is an illusion And I don’t normally get fooled so easily but it had me scratching my head.

So with that said, all is good and now makes sense.

thanks for your help with this, much appreciated.

pete

1 hour ago, juggy0_1 said:

from my memory of early teenage spotting days in the early 80's, the doorway in the wall lead to the outside but there was a sizable whitewashed area surrounding it with an outline of brickwork suggesting there was some kind of building attached to the side, it cant have been very deep though as the access footpath was down that side of the shed.... the rear of the shed from memory wasn't far from the boundary fence with the road with strengthening buttresses with no space for a building to the rear

Hi Juggy,

thanks for that info, I now know of the little side building, got a couple of photos of it but as I mentioned, it was the rear of the shed.

thanks for your time here.

peter

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2019 at 11:10, Gravy Train said:

Hi Mike,

thanks for your help, yes I have looked at that but no views showing left wall from front view or rear shed view.

The trouble is, you can’t zoom in for detail unless you are a subscriber to the site.

cheers

Pete

It is worth contacting them as not all images are scanned, so there might be something.