Having followed Colin’s Ledsam Street (LS) in O gauge for some considerable time ( RM 2014), thought I’d have an attempt at an OO gauge lookalike.  Reducing LS to OO gauge using the 7:4 ratio suggests an OO baseboard size of 26 x 9”.  In order to permit perhaps a longer sector plate & scenic area, I’m going to increase my baseboard however to 34 x 10”.  Work has commenced on the rear low relief buildings and the tiny loco shed using spares from previous layouts; images & track plan coming soon.

• Like 4

Progress images of the buildings trying to keep them as close as possible to Ledsam Street (above).  Further detailing will be added to the low relief workshops.  The tiny loco shed is a cut down MDF kit with a false rear wall of foamboard & the inside wall that will be visible from the layout front lined with brick paper.  Obviously can't make an exact copy as LS is O gauge. Hopefully will share baseboard images next week.

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

• Like 10

Very nice start, i like your buildings, this thread ( although a different layout but inspired original builder Colin French ) has inspired me to build my own version of Balls Yard, looks an interesting layout.

Keep up good work.

Jerry.

Baseboard (34 x 10") now completed with track laid & electrics to same also done.  Next stage will be to ballast & weather the track and play around with the position of buildings.  It wont be an exact copy of Ledsam Street but will bear a strong similarity. Bridge at LHS to hide the sector plate & fiddle will need some thinking about !

IMG_1745.JPG

• Like 4

Further progress over the weekend.  Back & side boards etc added to frame the layout.  Track now ballasted & weathered. 

Have also constructed the false bridge that will hide entrance to the sector plate.  I'll need to add a baffle inside of this as an internal view blocker.

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

• Like 9

This week's progress.  Buildings & bridge façade now in place and groundwork given a coat of brown paint as basis for grass work & tarmac.  Image clearly reveals the need for a viewblock inside of the bridge opening.  Hard standing raised in positions for coal staithes and water crane.

IMG_1754.JPG

• Like 8

Looks good!

It's probably too late now you've built that fantastic bridge, but if you're able to extend the span a bit then one trick for a viewblock is to skew it "backwards" (road deck wider at the front than the back) - that makes it impossible to see under, and in this case would also help to obscure the sector plate and abrupt track ends from view. A number of pipes crossing the lines would also break up the vertical wall, and add to the overal industrial feel.

I've always enjoyed industrial, "hemmed-in" micro-layouts, so I'm interested to see where yours goes!

(P.S. Woot, 100 posts!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In between the Christmas celebrations managed to get the majority of the initial ground work done.  Basic grass & cinders together with a small grass bank leading to the bridge façade. Grass areas will get a later dressing of rough grass & , probably, gorse bushes to add colour. The three cocktail sticks that can be seen are loosely placed in the holes made ready for the yard lights.  Won't be any progress this week as off to show "Kidmore TMD" at the Maidenhead & Marlow MRC's exhibition.

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

Edited by noctilux2
Additional image added.
  • Like 13

Long grasses & gorse bushes have now arrived so will now be able to progress.  Have also ordered some figures from Dart Casting in order to populate the layout.  Based on the image above however, will have to do a bit of hovering the surplus ground over first !  

With Christmas over, I have been able to spend a bit of time on the layout.  The half engine shed is now fixed in position & I have been able to connect up the yard lamps and brazier.  Additional groundwork has also been completed but some bits still awaited.  Hopefully the comparison with "Ledsam Street" is now obvious.

The next update will, hopefully, show close ups of the completed layout prior to its first exhibition in Reading next month.

IMG_1758.JPG

• Like 6