Earl's Court layout for sale

terry.ecmr

After much contemplation I am offering for sale my Exhibition Model Railway Layout 'Earl's Court'

This award winning layout has appeared at over 50 exhibitions, including Warley, Alexander Palace, Doncaster, Railex....etc

It has also been featured in Model Rail, BRM Magazine and Railway Modeller.

Included in the sale is.... 

The main scenic board, together with front industrial buildings.

The centre board, which houses the electronics, including the over-bridge with its shops.

The third board, which completes the fiddle yard.

The front panel, which includes the row of highly detailed shops, complete with glazed viewing slots to see stock and the fiddle yard.

All legs and supports plus front curtain.

Lighting strip.

Many buildings include interior detailing and lighting.

No stock is included in the sale. Nor the dcc controller, although the sockets for NCE Powercab will be left in situ.

The layout is approx 10'6" long and breaks down into sections for easy transport.

Track is Peco code 75 with some tracks being modelled as 4 rail to suit North London Lines and Underground. Could easily be converted to 3 rail SR.

There are no points on the scenic section but points in the fiddle yard are Peco Electrofrog, controlled with Seep switches.

The multiple tracks in the fiddle yard allow a variety of stock movements to take place.

More photos can be seen at ecmr.webs.com

Here's what the renowned modeller Chris Nevard had to say about the layout    

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/a-most-unusual-gwr-branch-line-terminus.html

Collection from Witney, Oxfordshire. Delivery may be possible by van at 25p/mile return trip.

It is listed on Ebay    

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174106871927

If you feel you may be interested in the layout please feel free to message me.

I'm hoping it goes to a good home!

20190806_205923.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

016.jpg

12j.jpg

45j.jpg

6.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

IMG_20171112_155556389.jpg

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Hope it goes to a good home. Such fine modelling, looking forward to your next effort.

Rich

Many thanks. 

My latest layout is Rossiter Rise. 

Will be showing in early 2020 at 

Stafford 

Alexander Palace 

and  Bristol. 

Will also feature in BRM magazine around early March. 

Terry 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I note that the asking price on eBay is £4500, not knowing much about these things is that a normal sort of price for a layout?

4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I note that the asking price on eBay is £4500, not knowing much about these things is that a normal sort of price for a layout?

It’s always  an interesting debate about the value of models, whether individual items, collections or as here, a complete layout. An interesting comparison would be with the Model Railway Clubs “Chiltern Green” which was listed on eBay recently with a starting point of £1200 but failed to attract any bids.

At the end of the day any item will attract the price that anyone who wants it is willing to pay, and in the case of Earls Court, it’s a well known model of an uncommon prototype which has a keen following, so who knows.

Layouts are difficult to sell on Ebay as I have found; very large layouts dont often attract buyers due to transport and space factors, and people will not pay any more than £100 for small layouts (around 8'x2') or less as it does 'look' like a bargain-one potential buyer intimated that he wanted some thing 'that was not too good' so he could tell his mates that he built it!  £4500 seems a very large and optimistic amount-though on Ebay you can ask for any price-just dont expect to get it.

Even with rolling stock you can expect ON AVERAGE maybe 55-70% of your original buying  price, unless of course you have a cupboard full of Hornby Clans. I suspect that this % will fall too over the next 10 years as the baby boomers pass away.

Believe me it is better and probably easier to recycle the timber and wiring  off a layout and flog off the rolling stock, and maybe better for the planet as well ??

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, paulbb said:

people will not pay any more than £100 for small layouts

Of course they will, if they're good or have mass market appeal. Small TMDs or BLTs will fetch more than a large scenic layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Guest Jack Benson
51 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I know you wouldn't be able to commission one with that amount of detail from a professional for any less.

Totally agree but as the patron of the commission you would be able to dictate the specification as to subject matter etc. rather than buying a well used exhibition layout that has already been on the circuit for a number of seasons. 

Cheers

JB

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I got almost that for one of my 17ft Layouts, and that wasn't even Exhibitable unless you worked it from the front.

It sounds like a very fair price to me, and should reach that figure I would have thought.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulbb said:

Layouts are difficult to sell on Ebay as I have found; very large layouts dont often attract buyers due to transport and space factors, and people will not pay any more than £100 for small layouts (around 8'x2') or less as it does 'look' like a bargain-one potential buyer intimated that he wanted some thing 'that was not too good' so he could tell his mates that he built it!  £4500 seems a very large and optimistic amount-though on Ebay you can ask for any price-just dont expect to get it.

Even with rolling stock you can expect ON AVERAGE maybe 55-70% of your original buying  price, unless of course you have a cupboard full of Hornby Clans. I suspect that this % will fall too over the next 10 years as the baby boomers pass away.

Believe me it is better and probably easier to recycle the timber and wiring  off a layout and flog off the rolling stock, and maybe better for the planet as well ??

I've averaged around £800 for most of my smaller Layouts, and over 4 figures for the larger ones on EB, (sold 16 so far) the only one that stayed around for more than a week was New Mills, and that took 5 weeks to get to my target figure.

As I said above, for the quality of workmanship it's a fair price, but a lot depends on the wording of the add and the Photos.

EDIT = Just to say that I don't think I made a profit on any of them, once you add up all the small items and the Timber etc.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As a wild, and wantonly uneducated, stab in the dark, I would assume that anyone buying a well-known exhibition layout may be less interested in exhibiting it than having a 'drop-in' layout to play with. Given that this is a niche subject, and comes with no relevant rolling stock, that may temper enthusiasm.

4 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Totally agree but as the patron of the commission you would be able to dictate the specification as to subject matter etc. rather than buying a well used exhibition layout that has already been on the circuit for a number of seasons. 

Cheers

JB

I agree that you can choose the subject of a commission.

However, 'a well used exhibition layout that has already been on the circuit for a number of seasons????'

The reason the layout has appeared at over 50 shows is because exhibition managers wanted to book it because people wanted to see it.

Although 'well used' it is still in fine working order and minor alterations and remedial work has regularly been undertaken.

I had previously been contacted by an admirer of the layout asking if he could buy it. I have also had two serious enquiries from people by private message. All these people want the layout for their own private use, not to exhibit. So the fact it has been 'on the circuit' is irrelevant to them, other than the fact that it gave them an opportunity to see the layout in the first place.

Anyone who is familiar with Earl's Court will appreciate the HUNDREDS of hours that went in to it, over a 6 year period. It is unique.

The asking price is an effort on my part to recoup something  towards these hours, and the not insignificant cost of materials and items used.

At the end of the day if one or more people think it is worth what I am seeking then that's fine. Nobody is being forced into buying it and if people think it is not worth the money or it would be better to rip up the track and wiring and sell it for scrap then they are, of course, entitled to their opinion.

I have had enormous pleasure exhibiting the layout, as have my co-operators Tony Dean and Harry Pollard. Plus the numerous people who have 'had a go' at lunchtimes and when I needed a hand. And there are reasons why I have made the very difficult decision to part with it. I sincerely hope that somebody will buy it so that it will continue to give pleasure, even if it is only to somebody in their home.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 minute ago, truffy said:

As a wild, and wantonly uneducated, stab in the dark, I would assume that anyone buying a well-known exhibition layout may be less interested in exhibiting it than having a 'drop-in' layout to play with. Given that this is a niche subject, and comes with no relevant rolling stock, that may temper enthusiasm.

Absolutely.

However, I have had interest from somebody who wants to make minor modifications to make it suitable for Southern Region use.

It could easily be adapted for any region simply by removing/altering the 3rd/4th rails and changing the colour of the totem signs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sandra said:

Quoted content removed.

Man hours is something I've never thought about when selling any of my Layouts, It's like this morning, I've been in my Shed for an hour and a half, ripping up some track and re laying, but to me the only cost will be the actual track used when it's finished, not what I've thrown away, or the time taken to rip up and change things for my own personal satisfaction.

I agree it sounds a lot of money, but when I sold one Layout on E-Bay for 3k I gave the chap a transformer, and he said how much. It's free I replied, you paid good money for the Layout, his reply was, I would have paid 5k for this, or any decent Layout.

I think EC qualifies as far more than just a decent Layout, so in my humble opinion a fair price to ask, he may not get the full amount but a fair starting figure.

Edited by AY Mod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, paulbb said:

I can assure you I sold a layout smaller than 8 x 2 for 10 x £100, quality layouts attract a good price. I have seen Earls Court and it is a lovely layout.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 37114 said:

I can assure you I sold a layout smaller than 8 x 2 for 10 x £100, quality layouts attract a good price. I have seen Earls Court and it is a lovely layout.

Photo of station area.

On 30/11/2019 at 19:10, AY Mod said:

I know you wouldn't be able to commission one with that amount of detail from a professional for any less.

Thanks Andy 

20191202_113936.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

As with many things, something is only "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. And with many things, the "market value" may well be less than the cost put into it originally, or the price of commissioning someone else to replicate it - thats why things will have an "insurance value".  The trouble is, there isnt a large and visible market place for layouts like this - I think eBay distorts things actually, with relatively simple layouts being priced at large sums.

I would certainly expect any "Exhibition Standard" layout (by which I mean real exhibitions/featured in magazines - the term is abused by some I think), to fetch thousands of pounds, rather than hundreds. But then I do know of people who have sold their layouts at exhibitions for just a few hundred pounds!