Gloatbox Exchange

Pixie

4 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Me too - seems to be something in the air over there.  Not a lot of modelling going on, too much sunshine perhaps??

Sunshine makes the weeds grow, especially when it's been raining!   :(

Jim

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sithlord75 said:

Me too - seems to be something in the air over there.  Not a lot of modelling going on, too much sunshine perhaps??

sr-south-for-sunshine-poster.jpg

its more overcast and damp   still haven't got much done spent last few days trying to re-quarter a  Jinty that threw its coupling rod :ireful:

Nick B

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, queensquare said:

It probably would be Andy and I have promised myself I will learn basic CAD one of these days but at the moment I'm too busy making things.

Jerry

This literally took me 5 mins....

image.png.e602beaf1be30bcad319dd684341e28f.png

There you go, ready for etching. Easy!

Julia :p

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Not around here lately (until this morning anyway).

Still, it meant I got to give a chassis for an L & Y Barton Wright 0-6-2t in P4 (it’s not mine before panic erupts) a damn good glaring at interspersed with some choice nautical expletives rather than gallivanting around the countryside with the children at the weekend.

3 hours ago, drduncan said:

....... I got to give a chassis for an L & Y Barton Wright 0-6-2t in P4 (it’s not mine before panic erupts) a damn good glaring at interspersed with some choice nautical expletives........ 

Alan Titchmarsh's dad told him that every job needs a good coat of looking at before you start! :D

Jim 

An attempt to get back on thread: 

I have 4 off 2-522 that I will never build. The mouldings mean these are only suitable for vans that had planked wooden doors fitted from 1927- , and whilst it is possible to rework the doors to make a gpv I don’t need (m)any of those. 

Let me know if they are of use, anybody. 

9 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

An attempt to get back on thread: 

I have 4 off 2-522 that I will never build. The mouldings mean these are only suitable for vans that had planked wooden doors fitted from 1927- , and whilst it is possible to rework the doors to make a gpv I don’t need (m)any of those. 

Let me know if they are of use, anybody. 

If they are still available I would be only too pleased to relieve you of them. PM to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Do we have a "For Sale" thread? If so, please point it to me and I will move this post over there.

If anyone is interested in a partly assembled N/S etched replacement chassis designed by Nigel Hunt to fit the L&Y/LMS/BR Aspinall 0-6-0T white metal body from GEM / Lytchett Manor, please send me a private message.

The two BA12 nuts mentioned in the instructions are soldered to the motor mount. The chassis, the coupling rods and the wheel are painted black. The frames are completely isolated from each other and from the spacers (on 200Mohms scale, the multimiter shows infinite resistance).

I wanted to build this kit to get "hands-on" experience in using the etched N/S spacers together with very thin double-sided PCB. I manged to put the gears and the rear driving wheels in place, but I wasn't happy with the result so I gave up before ruining the chassis (I am very good with this). As I mentioned a couple of times before, these etched N/S kits are not for me! Everything in the pictures below, plus the acetal whorm, for £20.00 + P&P (approx. £3.00 if using Hermes).

Included:

• the six 9mm Mk4 driving wheels to which I have already soldered the counter-weights (the crank pin is broken on one wheel)
  • the two muffs - one 3-102a and one 3-102b
  • Gearset: 100DP: 30:1 Skew Brass Gear 1/8" Bore: Acetal Worm 1.5mm Bore; this may be 3-367, but I may be wrong (the worm wheel has 30 teeth, though)
  • Spur Gear Brass M0.3 14T 3.0mm bore 3-390
  • Spur Gear Brass M0.3 25T 3.0mm bore 3-395

Maybe a more experienced modeller can get something usefull from these bits.

Photo_20210616-1718_0268.jpg

Photo_20210616-1718_0269.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It does seem to be a pity as you have done most of the hard work.

However, I have to say it took me 25 years and maybe a dozen attempts before I managed to get a chassis working the way I was hoping for.

Valentin,

Sorry to hear that you feel that you are unable to complete your chassis. Like Ian it took me an age to get a 2FS chassis running the way I wanted / expected.  

I tried 2FS in the 1980’s / early 90’s (long before etched chassis were available), I attempted 3 different locos in that period and gave up with them all, and subsequently 2mm modelling altogether.  

When I came back to railway modelling Jerry convinced me to try 2FS again with an Association chassis. I nearly gave up again as it took me 3 attempts to get it assembled and running reasonably! However, I was determined so persevered and was able to get my 2mm scale eye in as it were - I found getting used to the small size took me a while, but over the last few years my confidence has grown and I now feel comfortable trying to model in 2mm scale.  I hope that you too will be able to overcome your setbacks too. As Ian says, it looks like you’ve done most of the hard work.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Valentin,

Sorry to hear that you feel that you are unable to complete your chassis. Like Ian it took me an age to get a 2FS chassis running the way I wanted / expected.  

I tried 2FS in the 1980’s / early 90’s (long before etched chassis were available), I attempted 3 different locos in that period and gave up with them all, and subsequently 2mm modelling altogether.  

When I came back to railway modelling Jerry convinced me to try 2FS again with an Association chassis. I nearly gave up again as it took me 3 attempts to get it assembled and running reasonably! However, I was determined so persevered and was able to get my 2mm scale eye in as it were - I found getting used to the small size took me a while, but over the last few years my confidence has grown and I now feel comfortable trying to model in 2mm scale.  I hope that you too will be able to overcome your setbacks too. As Ian says, it looks like you’ve done most of the hard work.

Ian

Valentins a nice guy Im sure Martin Paul and I will be having encouraging words with him at the next months group meet.  Like me he get deterred   given Im on attempt No whatever to convert a Farish 3f although Ive already done one .  Valentin has built a beautiful   C class etch which ran very well but like me fiddled and broke it ( we all learn )  In retrospect should  have left the 3f alone when it first worked :ireful:

Nick B

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Valentins a nice guy Im sure Martin Paul and I will be having encouraging words with him at the next months group meet.  Like me he get deterred   given Im on attempt No whatever to convert a Farish 3f although Ive already done one .  Valentin has built a beautiful   C class etch which ran very well but like me fiddled and broke it ( we all learn )  In retrospect should  have left the 3f alone when it first worked :ireful:

Nick B

Nick, I have met Valentin a few times and agree he is a thoroughly nice guy. I was hoping my message would come across as supportive. I’m glad he has access to an area group to lend support!
Like many, I too have felt the need to tinker with something that is already acceptable and actually made things worse. In those events I always tell myself that having got it to run once I can do it again. Although sometimes putting it aside for a day or few to allow the frustrations to subside is necessary! 

Ian

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Like many, I too have felt the need to tinker with something that is already acceptable and actually made things worse. In those events I always tell myself that having got it to run once I can do it again. Although sometimes putting it aside for a day or few to allow the frustrations to subside is necessary! 

Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!   Many a time and oft as they say. I try to stick to the mantra 'if it ain't bust don't fix it ', but the temptation is always there to just make that wee adjustment that will make all the difference. 

In my experience, the satisfaction of getting a chassis running doesn't diminish, no matter how many you do, or maybe its surprise that you've got away with it, again! 

Jim 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

As I said it before, I have no intention in giving up 2mm modelling. Since I joined the Association 10 year ago, I had far too many attempts in getting a working etched N/S chassis. Apart from the "Fence Houses Model Foundry" 0-6-0 'Universal' chassis which sits under the Class C Nick mentioned, I failed with the others.

I enjoy much more trying to scratch build a solid brass milled chassis - the first results are encouraging. As a bonus, the brass bars and P/B strips are much cheaper than the etched N/S or brass chassis kits.

I am repeating myself, just to be clear: I DO NOT criticise in any way the work of those who are making the etched N/S chassis available, they are just not for me.

PS: the L&Y chassis has found a new home now.

Edited by Valentin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Does anyone have the old Taylor Precision Models 1824 assorted brake wheel etch in their gloatbox and hasn’t used the large six spoke wheels (on the left in the image below)? Note the large wheels in the later 1824a etch are larger than these.

If so would it be possible to purchase these below from you.

15597A3B-173D-4922-A335-016F962DD202.jpeg.341d9d5753ce58f4b2d577821c1e6d14.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• 4 weeks later...

I've come to the conclusion I'm never going to get the chance to build any of the "modern" 2mm kits that I've picked up, so if anyone wants them, happy to arrange a swap or sale ...

Stephen Harris Freightliner set - complete set of inners and outers. Absolutely beautiful etch, but I really can't see a use for it myself now. Instructions in an email I can forward.

IMG_20210821_221511.jpg.d669c7525a32ac7292c384a402b90701.jpg

I've also got a full set of ATM moulded plastic Ridecontrol bogies to go with them, with the correct small (N gauge) wheels, no couplings - happy to sell together or separately.

I've also got 2 each of Stephen Harris Catfish and Dogfish, if anyone wants them?

Justin

Edit - Catfish and Dogfish now spoken for!

Edited by justin1985
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have the following in my pile of shame that I wish to relieve myself of. 

To exchange;

3x etches for a generic 9ft wheelbase wagon

2x etches of suitable axle boxes for the above - a third will be needed to complete all three chassis. 

1x GEM N/2mm Jinty body kit, virtually pristine. 

Wants;

A Raithby 4F kit, as they have disappeared from the association shop. 

Many thanks in advance. 

CACCCB7B-8213-496F-9BA7-3AD12EB4E290.jpeg

81649F24-B435-432B-9955-028FAA8E5D3C.jpeg

75C9A130-B1BA-4E3B-823D-A3F95CE53AAA.jpeg

Edited by A. Bastow

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have an etch for a NER 4125 gallon self trimming tender?  They were originally shot down by Mick Simpson from Steve Barnsfield’s artwork. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have an old style Graham Farish 57xx chassis block surplus to requirements? A non-working chassis is perfectly acceptable.  Our GNR J13 (LNER J52) is completely worn out and the simplest solution is a chassis transplant. 

Tim

6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Does anyone have an old style Graham Farish 57xx chassis block surplus to requirements? A non-working chassis is perfectly acceptable.  Our GNR J13 (LNER J52) is completely worn out and the simplest solution is a chassis transplant. 

Tim

Possibly. Would it be a one of these? I have a body but it's sans cab. Upper magnet is rather rusty and it looks like the upper half of the body catch on the rear is either missing or has been squashed down onto the lower half. Had a quick peep at the upper brush / spring / collet and all looks clean and surprisingly unused.

IMG20220818153447.jpg.59f25db7c0b41cc05e88117757f97213.jpg

-Jayk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have an original Mike Bryant (made by Geoff Jones) plastic UJ?  These were made in the late 1970s. I actually only need the ball & pin male component.  The current Association set is not appropriate for the job in hand. 

Tim