Gloatbox Exchange

Pixie

More of a Scrapbox appeal than a Gloatbox appeal!

I'm on the look out for a good number of the old, non-Blue Ribband Farish Mk.1 coach bodies. Either the old-old type with the window inserts or the solid-sided type. The livery is completely irrelevant; as is the roof, chassis, bogies, underframes, box, window inserts, if they're Poole produced or early China produced. It's just the body moulding itself I need - I have a cunning plan.

Please let me know if you can assist - remuneration via the usual means is available or a donation to the charity of your choice.

Cheers,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My winter project is to build a race day train of horseboxes for Bath or Wincanton. I have a number of horseboxes in stock/already built but, for variety would like to add one of the Etched Pixel LSWR 16' boxes to the train. Etched Pixels are currently closed until at least April 2021 so I'm after one from somebodies gloat box.

If anyone has an unbuilt etch they are willing to sell me could they drop me a pm.

many thanks,

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Since I've become a member of the 2mm Finescale Association,nearly 10 years ago, I tried, without success, to build a working replacement chassis (the etched N/S kits designed by Chris Higgs and sold by the Association). Somehow, I managed to ruin them, together with other components: wheels, gears, muffs, etc etc. The last on the list of failures is the chassis for the BR Class 04 shunter.

Listening to the more experienced ones, when the project went wrong, I used to put it aside and work on something else, or just taking a break from the hobby, coming back to the failure at a later date, with a clear mind. After some partially successful stages, the failures came back. I was thinking if others can do it, I can do it... but no.

I spent hundreds of pounds on trying to achieve something which invariably ended up in frustrations and disappointments. I don't want to spend a penny more, so I GIVE UP! Why bother if there is no joy?

Like with the Easitrac system, I'm afraid that these etched N/S or brass kits are not for me.

As such, if any beginner in 2FS is interested, the following are up for grabs. The taker needs to pay for P&P only, and to make a donation to his / her chosen charity. I would be happy if they help a newcomer to the 2mm:1ft fine scale to learn something.

1. BR Class 04 plus wheels, gears, and other parts.
  2. 0-6-0ST Hunslet Austerity / LNER J94: these are four kits (3-640), more or less complete, with two sets of Mk4, 8.5mm wheels (12 in total), gears, a Graham Farish clone motor, and other parts.

Photo_20201025-1505_1820.jpg

Photo_20201025-1511_1821.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, Valentin said:

Since I've become a member of the 2mm Finescale Association,nearly 10 years ago, I tried, without success, to build a working replacement chassis (the etched N/S kits designed by Chris Higgs and sold by the Association). Somehow, I managed to ruin them, together with other components: wheels, gears, muffs, etc etc. The last on the list of failures is the chassis for the BR Class 04 shunter.

Listening to the more experienced ones, when the project went wrong, I used to put it aside and work on something else, or just taking a break from the hobby, coming back to the failure at a later date, with a clear mind. After some partially successful stages, the failures came back. I was thinking if others can do it, I can do it... but no.

I spent hundreds of pounds on trying to achieve something which invariably ended up in frustrations and disappointments. I don't want to spend a penny more, so I GIVE UP! Why bother if there is no joy?

Like with the Easitrac system, I'm afraid that these etched N/S or brass kits are not for me.

As such, if any beginner in 2FS is interested, the following are up for grabs. The taker needs to pay for P&P only, and to make a donation to his / her chosen charity. I would be happy if they help a newcomer to the 2mm:1ft fine scale to learn something.

2. 0-6-0ST Hunslet Austerity / LNER J94: these are four kits (3-640), more or less complete, with two sets of Mk4, 8.5mm wheels (12 in total), gears, a Graham Farish clone motor, and other parts.

PM sent

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Valentin said:

Photo_20201025-1505_1820.jpg

Photo_20201025-1511_1821.jpg

Valentin

you built a 2mm C class which I have seen working well beyond my own capabilities   the class 4 chassis was just rotten luck and  b u g g e r all to do with you and your modeling 

your enthusiasm and input is very welcome and needed as and when the local area group re-meet 

please take a time out and reconsider and  on a personal level you would be missed

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand your frustration. It took me 25 years before I had steam locos running how I wanted. During that time I had to make do with re-wheeled diesels, and a couple of steam locos with Niel Ballantine replacement wheelsets that ran OK at speed in the background, but were not suitable for shunting.

• Thanks 1

From a couple of private messages I got, related to my chassis donation above, I may have been misunderstood regarding my future in the railway modelling hobby in general, and in the 2mm FS in special (it may come to a surprise to some - :lol_mini: - but English is not my native language).

I am not going anywhere, I will keep trying to build models, just not replacement chassis based on a N/S or brass etched kit. :) And I will keep posting my progresses, if any, asking questions, making comments, being inspired by your work...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Does anyone have any 9' w/base etched generic coach bogie frames surplus to requirements? I'll be interested in buying them if so. Also any whitemetal LMS bogie sideframes, subject to quality of the castings.

Nigel Hunt

4 hours ago, Nig H said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any 9' w/base etched generic coach bogie frames surplus to requirements? I'll be interested in buying them if so. Also any whitemetal LMS bogie sideframes, subject to quality of the castings.

Nigel Hunt

Hi Nigel,

Are the etches marked 2-353? If so then I have two of these etches (so 4 bogies in total) which you're welcome to have. I think they must have come from Mike Raithby's collection of 2mm bits. I don't have any LMS cast sideframes to go with them unfortunately.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

I think you had all that was useful from my rummage box of coach parts @Nig H

Yes I did. Thanks Richard.

16 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Hi Nigel,

Are the etches marked 2-353? If so then I have two of these etches (so 4 bogies in total) which you're welcome to have. I think they must have come from Mike Raithby's collection of 2mm bits. I don't have any LMS cast sideframes to go with them unfortunately.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, those are the ones and yes I'd like them please. Thanks very much. Can you hold onto them until me meet up, and email me how much you want for them?

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

I'm tentatively looking for a Foxhunter models ROD (kit 5) if anyone has one they are unlikely to build. 

I never realised that Foxhunter used to do kits of our newsletter editor :jester:

• Funny 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/01/2020 at 14:44, Hendreladis said:

Anyone interested in exchanging a part built LYR 0-8-0 freight loco for some association loco chassis kits? I am looking for unbuilt panniers (or maybe a Terrier at a push) or a large prairie to bodge in to something - or maybe you have something more esoteric that I won't be able to resist?

Nigel Hunt chronicled his build on RMWeb (chances are anyone interested in a swap has seen it - I have tried and failed to post a link). The kit is great but I am unlikely to be able to justify a loco so hideous amongst some dainty and elegant turn of the century Welsh stock . . . I am hoping to trade up my build so far plus the remainder of the etch. Here's a pic:

IMG_20200103_112624.jpg.460c1e7cfc2f0a621ded02fbeeaa48a5.jpg

Hi Hendreladis,

Are these items still available please?

I'm afraid that I don't have any of the items you list and doubt that I have anything sufficiently esoteric to swap but maybe we can come to a suitable arrangement. 

Cheers, 

Sam

A long shot, but here goes. 

Does anyone have a Chinese-tooled Farish 31 body up for grabs? Livery, box, glazing, handrails, damage, weathering is all irrelevant really - I just need the overall shape. BR Lines and Farish can’t assist; does anyone have one lurking in their Gloatbox? I can promise it a good home and death by a thousand cuts; whilst offering a potential seller remuneration by all typical means.

Thanks,

Steve

Does anyone have one or both of the NGS etched brass LMS brake vans which they aren’t likely to build which they’d be willing to send to Australia?  If so please get in touch to discuss.  I find I’m a brake short for one of my SEQAG Challenge trains.

• RMweb Premium

I have the etch, purchased long ago. It is not even on my To-Do list as it has been overtaken by newer items closer to my modelling location. Let me know where to send it.

Sorry, I have just been through all my wagon gloat boxes, and no sign of the etch. I will keep looking elsewhere, but it might be a fruitless search.

Edited by Ian Morgan

Can't have too many brakevans!  I've had another member send me some as well but if you'd like to post yours out Andy, I'm sure we can find a home for it.  Seems to be a lot of building going on down here.  I'll PM you my address.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2021 at 01:59, Sithlord75 said:

Does anyone have one or both of the NGS etched brass LMS brake vans which they aren’t likely to build which they’d be willing to send to Australia?  If so please get in touch to discuss.  I find I’m a brake short for one of my SEQAG Challenge trains.

Hi Sithlord,

I'll have to check my boxes but I think I have the lon version somewhere.

I'll pm you if I find it.

Phil H

• Like 1