Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

My Childhood Train Fantasy - Blown Away!

Woody100

• RMweb Gold

One wonders what would happen if the whole lot was transported into the 21st Century. No, a bit far fetched, I guess. There used to be 2 large shops in London (Gamages?) that had a huge circular layout, across the first floor. You could always look on in wonderment at the sheer size of it. Very impressive as an 8 year old me. The other shop was Hamleys, now fully corporate.

As a funny side, I'd love to go into a recent branch of Hamleys, with the 1966 catalogue. "Excuse me, I'd like to purchase the Travelling Post Office set."

Ian. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In Glasgow it was a visit to see Santa at Lewis's , then into the toy department to see the Tri-ang Hornby layout .  It seemed big, but as a 3 or 4 year old most things were, but in reality it was probably 6*4.  Elevated section , trains running round .  Just look at the play value of these trains/minic cars as posted by the Dr . All this (and a working catenary system) in 1965!   . We have moved on in detail , but have we moved on in fun?

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember the Hamley's circular layout, an essential part of any family trip to London.  The shop, on Regent St, was laid out with the upper floors in the form of galleries, there being a huge circular void in the centre of the shop, perhaps 50 feet in diameter.  The railway was constructed around the gallery edge of one of the floors, first or second IIRC, and was, I thought, a very clever setup.  I think there were 8 circuits of 00, and 2 of TT at the outer edge.  The very last time I saw it was in about 1964 and N gauge had made an appearance in place of the TT and an Eggerbahn H09 as well.

The viewpoint was thus from the outside of a very gentle curve. 00 was 4 roads with a further pair on the 'inside' with catenary, and a pair of high level roads, also with catenary.  The inner low level roads ran to the higher level for part of the layout.  Trains ran at realistic speed and the little Eggerbahn train took about 20 minutes to complete a circuit.  It was utterly marvellous.

It was also a long time ago and some of my memories of the exact details might be a bit off target.

Cardiff's 2 rival department stores, Howell's and David Morgan's, used to feature what were probably the standard demonstration layouts, Howells' being Hornby Dublo and David Morgans' being Triang.  The Howell's layout featured a 'working' road system, a sort of slot conveyer belt set up with a range of Dinky Toys die cast cars and lorries all moving at exactly the same speed; out of scale of course but they'd at least tried...  I preferred the smaller but more interesting Hornby Dublo layout that would be set up in the basement of John Hall's, a tool shop in the Morgan Arcade.  You could have a 'go' on this one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Legend said:

In Glasgow it was a visit to see Santa at Lewis's , then into the toy department to see the Tri-ang Hornby layout .  It seemed big, but as a 3 or 4 year old most things were, but in reality it was probably 6*4.  Elevated section , trains running round .  Just look at the play value of these trains/minic cars as posted by the Dr . All this (and a working catenary system) in 1965!   . We have moved on in detail , but have we moved on in fun?

The Triang/Minic layout is still my favourite train set when it appears at exhibitions, the definition of fun.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My Dad has restarted his railway modelling, sitting on the table were about a dozen boxed Triang wagons circa 1972, a kit built 1F on a Wrenn chassis, a truly awful Lima J50 and by my Dads standards a "modern"  Mailine GWR 4-6-0. All set to run on a track plan straight from the CJ Freezer small layouts book. He's 89 and in his words "doesn't want to build something he might not finish!" . Seeing the photos from various Triang Hornby would no doubt inspire him, as kid of that era I always remember trying to spot the mouse on the cover from the Cuneo editions.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Best Birthday ever a Meccano  set with  a   electric motor from Hamleys  1971  pantomime at London Palladium  after  ( probably why I disliked Ronny Corbett  but had a serious crush on Clodagh Rogers )

Hamleys always had a terrific Meccano display

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, russ p said:

Does hamleys still sell model railways? 

Last time I was in there would have been in the 80s and it did then but very expensive 

The branch in Glasgow still has Hornby . Regretably a shadow of former dept stores . I was there on Saturday and although Hamleys was busy there wasn’t much going on in the Hornby section. They had the standard table top layout under Perspex. There was one car of a Pendolino off the track and no sign of the others!  Whoever looks after this franchise or outlet needs to look after it a bit more I think.   No sign of The Great Model Railway Challenge bonus here 

Edited by Legend
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Best Birthday ever a Meccano  set with  a   electric motor from Hamleys  1971  pantomime at London Palladium  after  ( probably why I disliked Ronny Corbett  but had a serious crush on Clodagh Rogers )

Hamleys always had a terrific Meccano display

Nick

Hi Nick,

Clodagh looks to be about a foot taller than Ronnie, either that or it is something to do with the camera angle !

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ronnie-corbett-was-really-kind-and-so-lovely-to-me-recalls-ni-singer-clodagh-34589096.html

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Nick,

Clodagh looks to be about a foot taller than Ronnie, either that or it is something to do with the camera angle !

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ronnie-corbett-was-really-kind-and-so-lovely-to-me-recalls-ni-singer-clodagh-34589096.html

Gibbo.

from memory even taller in heels

Nick

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, russ p said:

Does hamleys still sell model railways? 

Last time I was in there would have been in the 80s and it did then but very expensive 

The one in Cardiff has a basic range of Hornby; FS, Class 800, and basic goods trainsets, trackmats, mk1 and Collett coaches, and selection of wagons, setrack, and basic accessories.  Last time I was in there about 6 months ago they had an offer on GW liveried Colletts, about £10 off IIRC.  Scalextric is next to it, but it is in by no means a prime position in the shop and has to be looked for.  The range is better than Hobbycraft, though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2019 at 02:23, The Johnster said:

I remember the Hamley's circular layout, an essential part of any family trip to London.  The shop, on Regent St, was laid out with the upper floors in the form of galleries, there being a huge circular void in the centre of the shop, perhaps 50 feet in diameter.  The railway was constructed around the gallery edge of one of the floors, first or second IIRC, and was, I thought, a very clever setup.  I think there were 8 circuits of 00, and 2 of TT at the outer edge.  The very last time I saw it was in about 1964 and N gauge had made an appearance in place of the TT and an Eggerbahn H09 as well.

The viewpoint was thus from the outside of a very gentle curve. 00 was 4 roads with a further pair on the 'inside' with catenary, and a pair of high level roads, also with catenary.  The inner low level roads ran to the higher level for part of the layout.  Trains ran at realistic speed and the little Eggerbahn train took about 20 minutes to complete a circuit.  It was utterly marvellous.

It was also a long time ago and some of my memories of the exact details might be a bit off target.

Cardiff's 2 rival department stores, Howell's and David Morgan's, used to feature what were probably the standard demonstration layouts, Howells' being Hornby Dublo and David Morgans' being Triang.  The Howell's layout featured a 'working' road system, a sort of slot conveyer belt set up with a range of Dinky Toys die cast cars and lorries all moving at exactly the same speed; out of scale of course but they'd at least tried...  I preferred the smaller but more interesting Hornby Dublo layout that would be set up in the basement of John Hall's, a tool shop in the Morgan Arcade.  You could have a 'go' on this one.

No, you're not far off at all. I got some Lone Star 000-Lectric for Christmas in 1964, and my father made a rather good double track layout on a 6x3 single board.  It wasn't until much later, when I discovered  John Hall Tools, in Churchill Way, Cardiff. I bought a H&M Duette there, and I still have it today.

Ian.

• 1 year later...
On 29/11/2019 at 15:02, Coppercap said:

Quite a few of the catalogue layouts had multiple tracks often leading to nowhere in the distance or out of camera shot. Trains were often on apparent collision courses, and if the layouts were meant to be operable, the wiring would have been pretty complex! If anything were to derail on the larger layouts, I always wondered how you'd reach it (with difficulty!). I still used to spend hours looking at the whole catalogue though...

Yes , the original studio photos would reveal the real ‘warts and all’ aspect of these wonderful dioramas , they certainly captivated our imaginations . The accompanying photos from autumn 1970 illustrate this - R408U turntable box lid and original studio shot.DBB5CC09-0693-4724-A3DB-1429DB1F383E.png.180f8ddbe5befc1088daa9484820562a.pngD9F3755A-53E7-4180-93DA-17F81BCB5650.png.f7c4084f9abc7585c9e9b51d1e85b50e.png

• Like 4

On 29/11/2019 at 16:15, Woody100 said:

Talking of 73, here's some images to make us all quiver.. 

Makes you almost want to take samples from your pile of mags and retire away for some brief 'me time' doesn't it? 

IMG_20191129_160914.jpg

IMG_20191129_160838.jpg

IMG_20191129_161002.jpg

Wonderful photos , thank you for posting these . Although  cropped out , the original studio photo (taken in autumn ‘72)  ‘9F cement wagon/valley scene’ page 2 1973 catalogue also featured an extensive upper station with additional lower level sidings .

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Bernard cribbins shrunk to size , seems to ring a bell.

At least they didn’t t borrow BRs frontman of the time !

Yikes.

I wonder what a modern TV advert in the style of the old Hornby ones featuring Cribbins could be like with dcc sound etc?

Our imaginations were captured with those adverts at the time, but think what could be possible now.