Veja Megstra - RhB Nm layout

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

I’ve made some progress in the last week or so with the middle board. Over the weekend I got the first layer of snow down, again using Krycell powder attached with firm hold hair spray. 

IMG_4033.jpeg.46dda3766c38bb8c012171ec40997fc7.jpeg

Bridge and track masked off and snowing in progress. 

I do wish I’d read the instructions a bit more thoroughly because I discovered part way through that it's recommended you hold the sieve more than 30cm away from the surface you’re applying the powder to. You can see that there’s quite a texture on some of this, oddly reminiscent of the plaster bandage texture I’d previously covered up with a layer of filler!

Anyway, that’s a first layer down across the whole board and it meant that I could make a start on planting some trees in front of the back scene. 

IMG_4041.jpeg.f54b0fa4892805af61c2eb26c8a877b0.jpeg

First (tiny) trees planted along the ridge line. I think these were by Busch but they’ve been in the bottom of my box of trees for quite a long time. 

IMG_4042.jpeg.c0b7dc0bce1b6cf5626e9cd2c4af51e4.jpeg

Later image showing the forest along the hill side. There are a mix of makes of tree in here but I’ve tried to keep to the darker ones to match the painting and the reference photos I have. 

Typically I’ve now got to a point where I’ve run low on supplies. I don’t think the Precision Ice and Snow range is available anywhere so I’ve had to order some Noch snow powder so we’ll see how that looks when it arrives. Hopefully I’ve ordered enough trees to complete this scene too!

Next steps are to add additional snow and trees (there will be one or two in the foreground too) and attempt to create some sparse bushes using the methods Peter recommended in his previous post. There might even be the chance to run some trains at some point!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion @benjy14!

Further afforestation has taken place over the weekend:

IMG_4055.jpeg.6f9f7bad184a87fb9a650f58c4a6c9e1.jpeg

Plus I’ve planted a few of the foreground trees that’ll help frame the scene:

IMG_4054.jpeg.5b9f468f63502e6a6731600681c2e4dc.jpeg

Lots still to do. But getting there. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There’s a new distraction at Veja Megstra…

IMG_4070.jpeg.511fe3ef88251b6129e276412f9a4e17.jpeg

Somehow I acquired an Atlas Grand Trunk Western Alco S-4 with DCC sound before Christmas. It’s not very Swiss. But in my defence, it is a lovely model, and it sounds quite cool. 

Personally I blame YouTube and the Hattons pre-Christmas offers (that’s where the Micro-Trains boxcars came from). 

So there’s a possibility of a US-themed shelf layout at some point in the future. Watch this space…

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a good layout Mike, thanks for sharing your photos. 

I did manage to do a bit of work on the Bergün scene over the weekend so it will be interesting to see how it’s turned out once the glue has dried. In the meantime here are a couple of wide angle shots showing the scene across the two boards. 

IMG_4077.jpeg.7155e50ab9923fd35299d78115a275eb.jpeg
God tunnel (left), over-bridge at Crestas (centre). 

IMG_4076.jpeg.8a443bc8558eb0047f06cf7e554f91d6.jpeg

Middle section leading to Plaz tunnel (off-scene right). 

I’ve added some statement trees in the foreground here. There may be some additional bare deciduous trees to add if I can create something convincing from a seafoam base. There’s a bit more work on the snow (drifts etc.) and then I’ll be able to add the OHLE and signals that will help bring this side of the layout to life. 

More to follow soon…

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening Veja Megstra viewers.

There's been some good progress on the layout this evening. Firstly I finished painting the backscene on the Plaz Tunnel board:

IMG_4084.jpeg.c02d1d97505aa787e713e14ead0e560c.jpeg

I've tried to match the original painting style as much as possible, as before using watercolours. It's now had a coat of matt picture varnish to seal it.

I've never quite found a good way of simulating the drifting snow you see on the lineside on the prototype e.g. 

But tonight I stumbled across something that might be the answer. One of my kids recently had a birthday and one of the presents was a set of lightweight air dry clays. It's weirdly spongy in consistency even when dried but I thought I'd try some of the white version out and I was quite pleased with the results. The blobby smooth forms seem to lend themselves well to the shape of accumulations of snow found in cuttings and around lineside features. It's easy to work and seems fairly easy to remove if you make a mistake.

Here's a test shot of a trial layer near the Crestas bridge:
IMG_4086.jpeg.bb8209e2f14de471e5b9f6bb3b29498a.jpeg

I'll probably add some snow powder on top but it looks promising.

Lastly I'll leave you with a question:

On the 3-arch bridge should I include the railings that were installed recently when the structures were modernised or does the bridge look better without them?
(I think the latter would fit how it was in the 2005-2010 period when the layout is broadly set)

With

IMG_4088.jpeg.633e094ea35e4f3d6d5048fcdf597f3f.jpeg

Without

IMG_4089.jpeg.0ffff89f74ce480b6411daf02878ba9f.jpeg

I think either would be fine but I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!

Ian 

Edited by MrTea
Undone auto-correct on Plaz tunnel!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, MrTea said:

On the 3-arch bridge should I include the railings that were installed recently when the structures were modernised or does the bridge look better without them?

As you note for your time period is the key as either is appropriate so I’d go for the visual preference. Personally I prefer without as the plastic is inevitably overscale for railings, I’d go etch brass if you want them. 

1 hour ago, MrTea said:

I've never quite found a good way of simulating the drifting snow you see on the lineside on the prototype e.g. 

It looks promising if you can hide the line. 

I used plaster in a really gloopy mix, I think the pva I mix in helps, so it started to roll down and smoothed out on top. I painted it white and sprinkled snow scatter on top. 

IMG_9777.jpeg.1892d9a441eda8f33e4c9dfb475c72ca.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Looks great, if your time period doesn’t have railings I would leave them off.

Do any current RhB structures not have railings? I know from personal experience it’s very difficult to stick within a specific timeframe when a nice new model turns up…..

Thanks,

Neil

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MrTea said:

Good evening Veja Megstra viewers.

There's been some good progress on the layout this evening. Firstly I finished painting the backscene on the Plaza Tunnel board:

IMG_4084.jpeg.c02d1d97505aa787e713e14ead0e560c.jpeg

I've tried to match the original painting style as much as possible, as before using watercolours. It's now had a coat of matt picture varnish to seal it.

But tonight I stumbled across something that might be the answer. One of my kids recently had a birthday and one of the presents was a set of lightweight air dry clays. It's weirdly spongy in consistency even when dried but I thought I'd try some of the white version out and I was quite pleased with the results. The blobby smooth forms seem to lend themselves well to the shape of accumulations of snow found in cuttings and around lineside features. It's easy to work and seems fairly easy to remove if you make a mistake.

Here's a test shot of a trial layer near the Crestas bridge:
IMG_4086.jpeg.bb8209e2f14de471e5b9f6bb3b29498a.jpeg

I'll probably add some snow powder on top but it looks promising.

Lastly I'll leave you with a question:

(I think the latter would fit how it was in the 2005-2010 period when the layout is broadly set)

With

IMG_4088.jpeg.633e094ea35e4f3d6d5048fcdf597f3f.jpeg

Without

IMG_4089.jpeg.0ffff89f74ce480b6411daf02878ba9f.jpeg

I think either would be fine but I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!

Ian 

Despite my instant reaction being definitely  'railings', based on dozens of visits the RhB over 60 years - this question made me doubt myself!

So I had to go back to lots of photos of RhB to double check. I would definitely add railings. Even if not the modern version, all pictures of my own and published in books show railings on all but the shortest bridge.

I have seen a few short 'culvert' bridges and retaining walls apparently without railings but it looks as though the rule might be that railings are required on anything longer  than a single arch structure.

My 2010 pictures show no railings on the small bridge on the lower loop at Berguen, but railings on the small bridge on the middle level.

To add additional debate - I find the size of the stone blocks in your small viaduct too large. Looking at RhB stone infrastructure, IMO each stone block should be about the size of a headlight on an RhB loco

RhB 707 heads south along the middle level of the Berguen loops with northbound freight 5164 20 August 2010.JPG

IMG_9707.JPG

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There were a few bridges without railings if they were wide enough, thinking further I suspect a bridge of that length probably would as you wouldn’t have time to get off to a refuge so the railing keeps you from falling off while being clear. 
The old style railings were mostly thin steel angle so rusted to a darkish brown while the more modern ones appear to be galvanised and weather much more slowly with brake dust. As I said above the plastic looks very heavy in comparison though and there are 1/144 ship etch sets that would cover a few bridges. 

I searched;
Photo-Etched PE Handrail for 1/144 Scale Model Ship 2pcs/set 280cm

IMG_6202.jpeg.59a3084b3d0b1622b2df209329cde995.jpeg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The old style railings were mostly thin steel angle so rusted to a darkish brown while the more modern ones appear to be galvanised and weather much more slowly with brake dust. As I said above the plastic looks very heavy in comparison though and there are 1/144 ship etch sets that would cover a few bridges. 

I searched;

If I was needing to achieve the same thing, I would probably reach for my age old stock of scalelink metal N scale fencing.

It is still available:

https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product/snf024/

• Informative/Useful 1

Your project is really coming on.

snow drifts - shape pieces of foam such as packing around electrical goods into snow drift shapes then fix them on to the land with PVA. Next day sprinkle on snow from Noch or Deluxe or Woodlands over spread white glue. A couple of layers might be needed but this method keeps the weight down and uses minimum of materials.

railings ? Yes every time in my book!  I look back at some of my earliest projects without them and sigh. 3D Modelshop does lots of scales with architectural fencing too which may suit your needs.

Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone. 

Yesterday saw some more progress on the Plaz tunnel board. With the snow powder I’d ordered some Noch and some from WWScenics. The WWScenics wasn’t so successful as it had some chunkier crystals in it but the Noch product seems very fine and floats in a very snow-like manner when applied using the Precision Ice and Snow sieve. Anyway this board has now had a couple of layers of Noch snow applied using a combination of WWScenics basing glue and cheepo hairspray. The goal being to get to a point where I could add small trees along the backscene. 

I’ve added a layer of trees to help blend the 3D scene into the 2D background painting. Looking again at my trusty Google Streetview link I noticed that there are quite a lot of trees around this portal so I’ve ordered a few more small and medium trees that can be used. 

The next job was the snow drifts around the portal itself. In the video I’m using for a reference the snow around here is still quite deep as it can’t get much direct sunlight during the day. The pack of lightweight air dry clay had arrived (good old Amazon Prime) so I could make a start. 

This is what I’m using:

IMG_4091.jpeg.1781caea71a0274efc85b4015837f2b5.jpeg

Here’s one side completed:

IMG_4093.jpeg.d3fdac302322a7c3279b4e3af1d776c3.jpeg

Job done:

IMG_4094.jpeg.0bd4c7df4023c527a2f593032480e854.jpeg

Next I need to paint the tunnel portal and apply a layer of snow powder on top to finish off. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Plaz tunnel work in progress:IMG_4096.jpeg.d0d6c4f0712084bd2f7e6ce416a169f1.jpeg

The tunnel portal has had the stones picked out in various greys and then dry brushed with a green/brown/black mix to simulate the vegetation that seems to be a feature on prototype photos. You can also see a few trees planted top right. 

God tunnel update:

IMG_4097.jpeg.dd86e16b96a96224115c48591f46afb9.jpeg

At the other end of the layout the first stage of vegetation is in. I’m not 100% on the colour as it seems a little too green but I’m hoping after some longer winter fibres and some dark bare bushes are added it’ll start to come together more. I can always add more snow on top at the end. 

• Like 6