MrTea

Kato RhB Nm layout

2 hours ago, MrTea said:

and where to put things like tunnels and the main landforms. I’ve been doing bits of research online and there is some really good reference material on YouTube (both real world and model). 

Also use google street view on the RhB as they ran the trike around the system on a flatcar. You can study catenary, track and tunnels ;) just drop the little bloke on the track in various places and then click along the line. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2020 at 10:30, PaulRhB said:

Also use google street view on the RhB as they ran the trike around the system on a flatcar. You can study catenary, track and tunnels https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink3.gif just drop the little bloke on the track in various places and then click along the line. 

Following Paul's advice I've been looking more closely into the catenary used on the Albula line and the Davos branch.

Here are some of the Kato poles tweaked ready to position on the layout:

fullsizeoutput_1708.jpeg.9fde0255dd5325d47148ea9d952d6020.jpeg

• Like 1

I've also been able to make a start on the scenery at one end of the layout. Where the track curves away I've made a start on a tunnel using foamboard which I'm hoping will mean I can have a removable roof.

IMG_5939.jpeg.4dce482f0894444a227c47f6d5d3fea7.jpeg

You can see the Kato catenary pole base on the bottom right of the photo.

IMG_5940.jpeg.2db262a05e6f096724c43c90f9a42121.jpeg

For the baseboard joins I've replaced the longer bolts that come with the baseboard kit with 20mm screws to help locate the boards positively. I'm also using the standard Kato connectors for the wires as it'll make setting up the layout quicker when it comes out of storage. There's a satisfying 'plug and play' element to the design of the Unitrack components.

IMG_5942.jpeg.8c86fd239e43c80d6fcdee933243e1b0.jpeg

Edited by MrTea
Typo
  • Like 5

Got a bit more done tonight!

I've installed a Faller tunnel portal at the summit end of the layout. Also tried a clearance trial with a Ge 4/4 III and Glacier Express stock.

IMG_5950.jpg.542e4384c91f5e20e4fb04b171e82155.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg.a0be162e0bd330efb9fc3284bab8acd1.jpg

Maybe the Kato catenary poles are a touch on the tall side? From what I've seen the tunnels on the RhB are quite a tight fit for the more modern rolling stock so I'll need to run the locos with the pantographs adjusted quite low so as not to foul the tunnel roof.

I'm pretty pleased with how the tunnel is turning out so far and I think the Faller Dekorplatte portal is a close match to the tunnels I've researched so far on the Filisur to Davos line. The foam material is quite brittle so needs to be handled with care but I reckon with some subtle weathering it'll fit in pretty well.

IMG_5952.jpg

Decorflex bridge and tunnel components. 

Edited by MrTea
Image dimensions
  • Like 2

On pantograph height I think it’s a compromise without wires. If you have it right down for tight tunnel clearances it looks low when on view vs looking a bit high just at the tunnels. I went with similar clearances to your current pic as a result.

I‘m currently planning on using 40mm height for ‘the wire’ and setting pantographs at 35mm from the railhead. This is my draft clearance diagram. 

2B277DF2-07FC-4D29-990D-BDB60B6ACBF1.jpeg.83a9b5a082a5624b20a58a2854b6cc2d.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1