Veja Megstra - RhB Nm layout

MrTea

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2020 at 07:40, PaulRhB said:

Looks good :) are your gantry masts a little high? The cross span wire I’ve done in red would be at the contact wire height and it looks like it’s at the carrier wire height.

4E79F5CA-2200-4450-9839-DC758B45DD6E.jpeg.f3cf8a7c655fdb40d35bd82350f22525.jpeg

I've been looking at this again because it's been bugging me since Paul - quite rightly - pointed it out. And they do look a bit odd as they are.

I think the gantries are proportionally the correct height at approx. twice the height of a train. But I'm not sure what the correct scale height of the posts at 1:150 would be? However, I think the insulators for the contact wire could be up too high on the posts? On the shot below they look to be about 2/3 of the way up the posts?

P1040473.JPG

On the gantry closest to the Gallerie there seem to be quite long brackets dropping down e.g.

P1150463.JPG

So maybe I need to try and move the insulators down rather than cut the overall height of the masts down?

It would also be good to try and replicate the brackets hanging down as they're quite distinctive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's an image of the station building in situ:

IMG_6935.jpg.67c9d623c136be6c7e10bc1396dffa61.jpg

It probably needs a light wash of dirt and a few signs but it does really suit the location.

Here's the site where the maintenance shed will be going:

IMG_6939.jpeg.71a6e994932a6abe902e4dd110c1a4ed.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg.126544f382842bedfbac95eabd50eea3.jpeg

The space isn't very deep so it might end up being slightly lower-relief than the real location.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrTea said:

So maybe I need to try and move the insulators down rather than cut the overall height of the masts down?

Yes from that photo I think you’re right, the prototype top span does look high there and those dropper brackets are long. I’m not sure what determines the overall height but it does seem to vary. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick update from Veja Megstra to end a pretty soggy weekend here in Berkshire:

Having started planning the electronics for the signalling a couple of weekends ago, this weekend seemed like a good time to make a start on the maintenance shed in the yard.

I've struggled to find any detailed photos apart from glimpses of the end but fortunately there are some close-up shots available on Google Streetview e.g.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.6077018,9.7581829,2a,27.2y,154.08h,99.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skOGTG5vTM0XVFp8KOxXEdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

From this and a couple of images from albulabahn.com I guesstimated the measurements of the shed at 60mm x 30mm x 23mm in 1:150 scale.

IMG_6962.jpeg.a25c13145d86cc831c6213d0fdf26598.jpeg

Base, side walls and end walls laid out. I used 2mm grey board for the main structure (this is recommended for building Scalescenes.com printable kits and available on eBay).

IMG_6963.jpeg.e561d628a00240b0e2ccc740ad750dcb.jpeg

Plinth and hard standing. Again this was guesstimated and fits quite neatly in the space on the layout.

IMG_6964.jpeg.d974fc629c2fcf3e807c76422bdfd793.jpeg

Central brace installed with the end walls. I've had issues with roofs drooping in the middle before so I added a spine for the building to give extra strength and rigidity.

IMG_6965.jpeg.97364434383c4a5e47db82c77d0a6cb0.jpeg

Walls assembled and attached to plinth. Test wrap from a resized photo fixed in place.

At this point I realised how close I'd been on the measurements! I printed the photo at 20% and the wall heights were almost spot on at 20mm high. You can see the 2-3mm overlap at each end.

I started thinking about the roof and the plinth and discovered quite by accident that the white faced card I used for the hard standing could be coloured effectively with a felt tip pen.

IMG_6968.jpeg

Finished shed showing a custom sign, steps and details added to the roof.

The roof is also using the same white card (I think it was originally from a shirt packet) coloured with a grey felt tip pen - it dried slightly blotchy but I think it looks rather more effective than if it had been plain flat grey.

Having recently made up the Faller laser cut station kit I wanted to add details to the roof so I made up barge boards and ridge tiles using card and paper to match the roof panelling.

I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly this came together as it's probably only the third scratch built building I've ever made.

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

IMG_6974.jpeg.0b4d775fedca0741499af40a28336f7a.jpeg

Gerhard and Henrich discussing this morning's work before setting out.

Finally, there's also been a new arrival on the locomotive front:
IMG_6977.jpeg.0dc61b860207aae727d8b00f549b845d.jpeg

I've been after one of these for a while but the price they're available for on the continent has always put me off when I know they were <£100 in the UK when retailers had them in stock. I guess the moral of the story is 'get them while you can' in terms of Kato RhB models.

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I guess the moral of the story is 'get them while you can' in terms of Kato RhB models.

That’s sadly true of the majority of models now if they carry any sort of one off livery. Still at least you have it now ;) It would be easy to start ‘collecting’ the all the liveries, I succumbed to it on the 5 anniversary ones on the 4/4ii’s, but I’m only allowing myself to be tempted by those I really like and I’m not going to be too fussy on the dates mixing them either as I have a couple of duplicate locos in different liveries :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2020 at 23:54, PaulRhB said:

I’m only allowing myself to be tempted by those I really like and I’m not going to be too fussy on the dates mixing them either as I have a couple of duplicate locos in different liveries :) 

I think that's a sound strategy. It's funny how some liveries just seem intrinsically more appealing than others on the same class of locomotive.

For some reason I really like the bright yellow Lazzarini livery on the Ge 4/4 III (which is also #644 Savognin).

• RMweb Premium

After a few days of inactivity I've finally got around to 'planting' the maintenance shed.

IMG_7015.jpeg.8e34488fe54dcb9e5f74ed51b1661f8b.jpeg

The crew tell me it's much better than their previous accommodation and it gives them somewhere to have a chat and a brew away from the occasional alpine downpours!

More details will follow in this area as I'd like to replicate the piles of p'way supplies found at this location. There are some quite interesting raised stacks of rail, concrete trunking and other assorted bits and bobs that look as if they've been there for years.

Although no trains have run for a couple of weeks I did manage to capture the moment when the north- and southbound Glacier Express services met for the first time in the passing loop this afternoon.

IMG_7024.jpeg.4dcb0498073ae7b938b6291bb1f57ce8.jpeg

This view is likely to change over the coming weeks as there should be more trees on the slope in the foreground. I'm hoping I'll be able to replicate the feeling of looking through a break in the forest to see the trains as they pass.

There are loads of little details to add but I want to get the two signals installed on the exit to the loop before adding anything else much.

At some point my thoughts will turn to the other half of the layout which is currently un-scenic apart from the curved viaduct. But that's definitely for another evening...

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Made a little more progress on the layout last night after a couple of weeks break. 

It doesn’t look like much but these are the conduits for the signal wires at the end of the loop:

5842D067-C330-4D29-8839-C35E969E19B3.jpeg.46c65af7806a5b9e2492edfdcf87de63.jpeg

The wires on the Mafen signals are tiny but they have a thicker connection on the end and I wanted to find a safe way of threading them through the scenery. I had a brain wave when I discovered a pack of plastic drinking straws left over from one of our kid’s parties. I reckon these will do just the job. 

It was slightly stressful taking a drill to the finished lineside but it seems to have worked. Fortunately the height of the risers plus the MDF board was just fractionally less than the length of the drill bit!

I’ve also tidied up the area where the maintenance shed has been fixed in place with some plaster and ballast to blend it in. 

Next on this board I need to create the rail stack which is a distinctive feature of the prototype location. I managed to pick up a short length of Peco flexitrack at the recent Mid Hants Autum gala so that should be just perfect to represent the rusty rails and a few used sleepers. 

Hope everyone is safe and well. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Ian

Edited by MrTea
Image size
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

More lineside detailing over the weekend. I started adding some fine details to the station area. Here’s the electrical equipment near the station building under construction and installed:

IMG_0071.jpeg.129e1f2d980d94779a48af97061463f6.jpeg

984367B4-8756-4CAB-A16E-564F6E9B20E3.jpeg.0b778958c95e0a6c1756f76fa9006cb8.jpeg

After I took this picture I realised I’d stuck the upright on the wrong way around! So later last night I sorted it out by turning it through 90 degrees - I wish I hadn’t used superglue to attach the styrene strip to the metal post though!

Edited by MrTea
Image wrong way around
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Nicely done, is that a total scratchbuild? 

Nearly. It's a cut down Sommerfeldt post with styrene H girder and styrene strip for the brackets. The transformer is laminations of two widths of styrene strip to give a ribbed effect.

The box on the post is also laminated styrene strip. I thought about making the relay box but I found some 3D printed ones online that were quite affordable.

I've really enjoyed putting together this distinctive detail of the station.

I also made a turnout indicator (switch stand) from styrene strip and rod. Just needs painting and the distinctive white or red arrow markings adding:

IMG_0079.jpeg.69c39f6e35cab33300b927608d9a7f25.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Made a start on the detailing in the maintenance yard this afternoon. First was a short section of rail - not entirely sure what it’s purpose is in real life. But thankfully you can zoom right in using Google Streetview and capture the details:

F3841717-9245-459C-94A6-5A5ADBEC6BEA.jpeg.14917f2dd5785b303620e2c5dddd1606.jpeg

Because I’m taking this a bit too seriously now I even chamfered the edges of the sleepers to match the prototype. You’ll have to look hard to see it on the finished layout but I’ll know it’s there!

0F614374-8175-499A-B969-6A9791F65D7C.jpeg.5eb1e921c493ec84adfd3db399c08a49.jpeg

More to follow, including the tale of the not-so-super superglue...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sleeper piles installed:

07EBAD31-06A0-411C-8B27-AADF7A4CC225.jpeg.919935c18cdc4cc31432deff39a7f004.jpeg

These probably need toning down slightly but I’m quite pleased with how the red Halfords primer plus brown and black weathering powder gives a weathered ‘scrap’ look. 

Had a visit from the new GE 4/4 III loco the other day and you’ll also see that some signals have sprouted on the exit to the passing loop:

01FA58DF-342B-4E5E-B684-D2E20DCEAA93.jpeg.f8b6b40e63482688a6e12fa2f3fffd90.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a quick update to finish the weekend...

Here’s the rail stack next to the maintenance depot:

9BBA95CD-0F3D-4373-A2F7-0F0A19C0886F.jpeg.6e1a8d3d5451105ca239e044e442907a.jpeg

This is a slightly different angle to normal taken from above the station:

6E1A2F4B-7B29-4206-A88F-839681F9C9BA.jpeg.b315f99ae3bbe08724ee596f6e97a6e9.jpeg

The rail stack seemed like a fairly simple thing to build but I’d been putting it off until I had the area between the maintenance shed and the access road landscaped. In the end I used about 60cm of Peco code 80 track and I was surprised how much deconstructed rail was needed!

I measured the space and cut the 5 cross members and the full length rails first. I’m not the best at soldering so I figured I could glue the rails together with superglue. I made a little jig using blutack to keep the pieces aligned and set to work. (With hindsight I think the superglue might have worked if I’d filed the surfaces of the metal on the joints to roughen them). But as I started putting the pieces together it became obvious pretty quickly that superglue wasn’t going to be up to the job - it’s very good at sticking fingers to things but not nickel silver rail!

D5754AA1-58F8-4350-9331-A139BE595D8F.jpeg.277da10eb97726bb8a56788e279cc26c.jpeg

I tried a couple of other types of glue before I remembered I had some UHU which turned out to do a reasonable job although the pieces did need holding in place while they set. 

Having more or less run out of scrap rail by this point my thoughts turned to the legs that support the structure. In reality this is rail too but I figured as I had some H section styrene of a similar profile that would probably do the job. I cut notches in the tops of the legs to help them stick better. And this was followed by more blobs of UHU. I did give the superglue another go but the pieces just didn’t seem to want to stick with it. 

Once the structure had been left upside down overnight to set I gave it a coat of Halfords red oxide primer. 

Installing it was a relatively simple process. I’d made the legs a bit longer than I thought were required and I figured I could always cut them down. In the end I made holes in the card surface of the yard with a bradawl and then gently coaxed the rail stack into place checking it was level before applying some white glue to fix it into place.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...