The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 4 coming early 2023 on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Another good episode tonight.

The bit about the Lincoln railway history missed out a particularly awkward level crossing at Pelham Street (Durham Ox Jn.), east of the station where the GCR crossed the GNR on the level (to get to the MR station) in the middle of the level crossing:

file.php?id=12041&sid=87d0593beb2248da84

Note the signalling wires/rods coming over the bridge from the signal box

Eliminated when the elevated road was built in 1961

NLS georeferenced map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.1&lat=53.22528&lon=-0.53571&layers=168&b=1

It was an interesting and unique bit of railway, but these days all there is to see is a junction underneath a 1960s flyover, so it probably doesn't make very good television.  

• Like 2

Carry on as you are please Tim, I thoroughly enjoyed this weeks episode about two places that, on the surface,  don't appear too exciting. One of the attractions of the series is finding out about hidden gems. SWMBO and myself are hoping to do a tour of Manchester, Goole and Lincoln later this year, though I see Leeds and Hull are in future programmes so we may have to extend the trip by a few days.

Thanks for everything

Graham

Edited by dagrizz
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2023 at 09:20, timdunn said:

I say it to myself too Mike, every day we prepare to go off filming! ;) But alas, I can’t calm down – the things we get to see and thus share, and the genuine joy of people we meet who want to share their knowledge of these places with us all – continue to make every day working on this stuff a voyage of discovery.

And you’ve just kick started another case of deja vu for me. Just watched your piece on dear old Brum. By coincidence,I was….literally…through the city only yesterday.having to change not just trains but stations too. From New Street to Snow Hill both ways to get to & from the SVR Steam Gala at Kidderminster.That image as you approach New Street Station is thus vividly in my mind. The now redundant signal “box”is so much part of the landscape that it’s taken for granted. The resurrected Snow Hill too comes as a somewhat eerie shock to one who used it in the early 1960’s and I’m haunted by memories of trains leaving and arriving through those tunnels some 60 years ago .Worth a look at some time in the future along with Moor Street ? The walk between the two stations is fascinating but last evening walking down Temple Street I felt like a visitor from another planet with queues of (very) young Saturday night revellers outside the bars and clubs. 

I appreciate your comparative reference to the now demolished Central Library. For several years I was a member,by reason of borrowing sets of music scores for a choir.What a labyrinth it was but the staff were wonderful.Actually although I stopped using it several years ago,I still retain my membership card. Now Centenary Square has the new building and that is an architectural gem. Sadly, it’s full,potential isn’t realised due the the City’s finances.

But the city is moving on and reinventing itself….which it always has done..

A big thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The walk between the two stations is fascinating but last evening walking down Temple Street I felt like a visitor from another planet with queues of (very) young Saturday night revellers outside the bars and clubs. 

Birmingham, once considered a joke for nightlife is now one of the top places in the UK for eating, drinking and generally enjoying yourself.

It has the greatest number and variety of restaurants outside London, as well as more Michelin stars than anywhere else outside London.

The Hippodrome theatre now gets more bums on seats than any other theatre in the UK (Including those in London).

EDIT

Birmingham is also the city with a population with the lowest average age in Europe.

So youngsters everywhere is the norm.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Birmingham, once considered a joke for nightlife is now one of the top places in the UK for eating, drinking and generally enjoying yourself.

It has the greatest number and variety of restaurants outside London, as well as more Michelin stars than anywhere else outside London.

The Hippodrome theatre now gets more bums on seats than any other theatre in the UK (Including those in London).

EDIT

Birmingham is also the city with a population with the lowest average age in Europe.

So youngsters everywhere is the norm.

It is,by reputation,the UK’s “second city “. Thus it is about time that it put Manchester et al. In their place. It’s getting there . It will take time and the ghost of Joseph Chamberlain to shake it up a bit. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It is,by reputation,the UK’s “second city “. Thus it is about time that it put Manchester et al. In their place. It’s getting there . It will take time and the ghost of Joseph Chamberlain to shake it up a bit. 

My father came from Birmingham and my mother from Manchester. She was convinced that Manchester was the second city of the UK and they "discussed" it regularly until as a kid I pointed out that at least there was no argument that I was born in the FIRST city. I don't think either was very keen on being told that!

• Funny 3

On 11/04/2023 at 23:26, melmerby said:

Another good episode tonight.

The bit about the Lincoln railway history missed out a particularly awkward level crossing at Pelham Street (Durham Ox Jn.), east of the station where the GCR crossed the GNR on the level (to get to the MR station) in the middle of the level crossing:

file.php?id=12041&sid=87d0593beb2248da84

Note the signalling wires/rods coming over the bridge from the signal box

Eliminated when the elevated road was built in 1961

NLS georeferenced map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.1&lat=53.22528&lon=-0.53571&layers=168&b=1

Nice to see inside New Street box, just before it was decomissioned

As I understand it the equipment is staying in there.

Maybe it could be opened for tours (IIRC they have had a restricted number of visits)

Possibly even a computer to interface with the switching diagram for a simulated session?

I count myself extremely  fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit Pelham Street box (unoffcially) shortly before the area was modernised.  The busy crossing had been superseded by a road overbridge several years previously and the line to St Marks station was long gone. but it was still very impressive, with permissive platform working  (absolute block on the through roads) and some original MS&LR block instruments with circular faces instead of the usual square.  I do hope those survived into preservation somewhere.  I liked the casual ease with which the young signalman threw the levers across, clearly absolutely confident of his knowledge of the frame.  No doubt in earlier times it would have taken a lifetime on the railways to earn the seniority necessary to get such a post.  My understanding is that the (five !) gates had been worked by station staff, there was never a gatewheel and the crossing was not interlocked (too difficult !).  The block section to nearby Bracebridge Gas Sidings box (site of a serious collision at excessive speed in 1963 and closed a couple of years later) must have been one of the shortest in country.

The name Durham Ox refers to a pub which once stood near the crossing, which must have been closed to road traffic more than it was open!

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've dipped in an out of the episodes as and when I have time to watch them, but I found the Leeds one particularly interesting as I'd noticed that our company's new office (Globe Point) looked to be close to some interesting old buildings on a visit up there in November:

IMG_2811.jpeg.dd73bf96d0cfb5fee3fd693420a204e8.jpeg

Now I know what's across the road and why it's interesting!

Here's the link for anyone else who'd be interested to find out more:

https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/series-4/episode-9/6324792200112

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up.

Until recently I managed a team of employees, most of whom were based in Lateral House.

Back in February, one of my team left to take up another position, so I went up to Leeds to see the team and we had a leaving meal at the Midnight Bell (well recommended!), and so I must have walked past that building (the MB's sign can be seen in your photo).

The day ended with my leaving Lateral House with only about five minutes to catch a train from the far side of Leeds station - and making it!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Watching BBC 4 tonight on the contribution of the Scotts to English architecture ( St.Pancras,etc.) during the 19th& early 20th C ,I notice the name Tim Dunn of The Architecture The Railways Built in the credits 

Not the same one. By searching "Tim Dunn TV producer" online I found another Tim Dunn who has been producing TV programmes for many years. Tonight's programme dates back to 2014 if I read it right.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2023 at 14:24, Ian Hargrave said:

Keeping up to speed,I’ve just viewed an online message via BBC Derby giving the news of completion shortly of the work to restore Wingfield Station and that it will be open for visiting from October 28th and thereafter into November. 

Railcam UK now has a pair of cameras at that location

https://railcam.uk/cameras/watchtwo.php?Cam1=RCWingfield1&Cam2=RCWingfield2&Cam3=&Diag=

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

Not the same one. By searching "Tim Dunn TV producer" online I found another Tim Dunn who has been producing TV programmes for many years. Tonight's programme dates back to 2014 if I read it right.

Andrew

Thanks for the correction .I will therefore delete the post.