The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 4 coming early 2023 on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, timdunn said:

....Thanks for the feedback above. I can't remember if I've said it before but it was viewer feedback that led the team to change the sequence of stories in this series from series 1 so that each one stands alone (apart from the "biggest" locations), so whilst I have no input on the production style, the producers do monitor social channels etc because we all want to make something enjoyable.

I feel that is one very worthwhile change. Other shows have a tendency to split features over different segments before/after ads in the program, so a good few minutes are spent recapping the subject - wasting what could be time for more info! Nice to see self contained features, and even when continuing the main story, not too much repetition. :) 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Yes, but at least the local experts do know what they are talking about, and usually do very well considering they're using a second language. I'd much rather that than some paid for voice actor who is at best interested but not necessarily knowledgeable.

Absolutely agree.  

38 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I feel that is one very worthwhile change. Other shows have a tendency to split features over different segments before/after ads in the program, so a good few minutes are spent recapping the subject - wasting what could be time for more info! Nice to see self contained features, and even when continuing the main story, not too much repetition. :) 

Agreed.

I'm afraid that I see the way that some programs do a recap after the ads or after an intervening, often unrelated segment, as simply a way to fill airtime as cheaply as possible, thereby reducing the cost of making the programme. The interleaving of different and often unrelated, threads in a programme is just a way to keep people watching, and for me adds absolutely nothing to the quality or watchability of the programme. In fact it does the reverse by breaking up the flow and annoys the hell out of me. But so many programmes do it, even the ones whose subject matter I enjoy. Whilst novels, plays and films break things up, there it is different as the author/playwright/screenwriter is recounting related events happening in parallel to the main storyline, and they never do a recap ("previously in chapter/act/part XYZ...") when they return to the original thread to move the story forward. It might be justifiable for a weekly serial, but not within a single programme. 

Like Ramblin Rich, I want more info, more views of the subject matter, not a boring, pointless, waste of time, recap often using footage seen earlier in the programme.

Rant over. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Certainly remember Rob going onto Chelfham ('granted rare access' again) and him or someone else doing the L&B and cliff railway recently. 

I sometimes wonder if the various programs have to negotiate about who's going where to avoid clashes!

I do enjoy Tim's shows very much, just the right combination of knowledge and enthusiasm, plus getting to see some real gems I've not heard if before. I loved the underground station in Leipzig with the thousands of light bricks!

The cross over with walking lost railways reminded me of the story of Ystad Station in Sweden when the were filing the Swedish Wallander at one end of the Platform at the same time as they filming the Kenneth Branagh version at the other end.

As a side note, as a Structural Engineer by qualification the casual use of 'outstanding architecture' where really 'outstanding engineering' is more apt is a minor quibble. However, the distraction of Tim's scarf being modded on the District line seat covering move it all on!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

And for the third time on C5 in quick succession Lynton, Lymouth, a cliff tramway and  Ashley the engineer - Kate Humble's Coastal Britain. 

Next will be Countryside followed by Coast followed by..........:yes:

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Next will be Countryside followed by Coast followed by..........:yes:

Maybe it will be like the 'news team fight' in "Anchorman" next series, when Tim Dunn, Michael Portillo, Kate Humble, Rob Bell and their camera crews all coincidentally arrive at once at Meldon Viaduct ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I thought this last one was fab.

I really liked the Leipzig section, too. I applaud the way that the producers are able to find enthusiastic and knowledgeable local experts to cover the European topics, who also have an excellent command of English.

As with the Rob Bell series filmed during 2020, when these programmes are repeated in future years, the background people wearing masks will certainly help the viewer pinpoint when these series were actually made!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought the bit about the rivers under Sheffield station was fascinating . I bet not many people knew that . It’s a big station that you never really hear much about . I travelled through it in the early eighties , the European down from Glasgow on a Sunday and a 45 back to York on a Friday , for a change onto an HST to Edinburgh /Glasgow .   And I’d never heard of Bennerley Viaduct . Fascinating 

• Agree 2

Another great episode, the Sheffield feature was fascinating and it is good to see Bennerley Viaduct being restored and put to a good use - Pity I live a bit too far away for a quick cycle over it !

However, I was not that impressed by Lisbon - Never mind passenger comfort or convenience, no seats to avoid 'spoiling' the architect's vision ? And while the high platform canopies looked great on a sunny day, I wonder how effective they are when the wind is howling and the rain is sheeting down (although perhaps that doesn't ever happen in Lisbon ?!! 

Edited by caradoc
Grammar
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Another great episode, the Sheffield feature was fascinating and it is good to see Bennerley Viaduct being restored and put to a good use - Pity I live a bit too far away for a quick cycle over it !

However, I was not that impressed by Lisbon - Never mind passenger comfort or convenience, no seats to avoid 'spoiling' the architect's vision ? And while the high platform canopies looked great on a sunny day, I wonder how effective they are when the wind is howling and the rain is sheeting down (although perhaps that doesn't ever happen in Lisbon ?!! 

I think you're thinking of Ardrossan 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I thought the Lisbon station looked an architectural mish-mash TBH.  Perhaps it's an example of 'emperor's new clothes' syndrom - 'if a noted architect has designed it then it must be good'.

Just recently I've also noticed how programmes are following each other with locations.  This morning's Antiques show was at Leeds City Varieties where Michael Portillo was a night or two before.  I know they're all repeats (several times over!) but these coincidences seem to be becoming more and more common.

Or is it just me.....................:huh:

Edited by 5050
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I thought the Lisbon station looked an architectural mish-mash TBH.  Perhaps it's an example of 'emperor's new clothes' syndrom - 'if a noted architect has designed it then it must be good'.

Just recently I've also noticed how programmes are following each other with locations.  This morning's Antiques show was at Leeds City Varieties where Michael Portillo was a night or two before.  I know they're all repeats (several times over!) but these coincidences seem to be becoming more and more common.

Or is it just me.....................:huh:

If your job was to set the lineups I suspect you might introduce little hidden themes to see who notices too ;) ‘Easter eggs’ are common in film and media so if all you’ve got to play with is the schedule why not :)

Well done Tim for admitting he was scared on film, it did look remarkably like a sewer! :bad: It’s those little touches that make it seem more like a personal tour than a documentary. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

If your job was to set the lineups I suspect you might introduce little hidden themes to see who notices too ;) ‘Easter eggs’ are common in film and media so if all you’ve got to play with is the schedule why not :)

Well done Tim for admitting he was scared on film, it did look remarkably like a sewer! :bad: It’s those little touches that make it seem more like a personal tour than a documentary. 

Yeah I didn't fancy that crayfish !  Shouldn't they be a more orange colour ?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Yeah I didn't fancy that crayfish !  Shouldn't they be a more orange colour ?

That was a signal crayfish.  A nasty invasive species that we really could do with getting rid of.  The underside of the claw is distinctly orange as it happens.  The rest is more of a dull grey-brown for camoflague purposes.  So not a very appetising appearance.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

That was a signal crayfish.  A nasty invasive species that we really could do with getting rid of.  The underside of the claw is distinctly orange as it happens.  The rest is more of a dull grey-brown for camoflague purposes.  So not a very appetising appearance.

Is that the 'American'  one that is infesting rivers and killing off the native variant?  They appear very off-putting to me!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

The signal crayfish is a carrier of Crayfish Plague and were imported as an alternative to local crayfish which were being killed by it only to find that the signal crayfish is a carrier but often not killed by it.

It has made it a whole lot worse and they also outcompete local crayfish, so considered a pest in most countries it is found in.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2