The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 2 starts 19 January on Yesterday

1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

That was a signal crayfish.  A nasty invasive species that we really could do with getting rid of.  The underside of the claw is distinctly orange as it happens.  The rest is more of a dull grey-brown for camoflague purposes.  So not a very appetising appearance.

Only a two-aspect signal crayfish then.  

• Funny 4
10 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Only a two-aspect signal crayfish then.  

I take it you mean as in "home" -  when you'd probably prefer it to be "distant", or preferably very distant?

Seriously though, I could imagine some people having mixed feelings about seeing those things in rivers.

The fact that they're there is bad news. On the other hand, the fact that it's possible for them to survive there suggests that the water might not be as polluted as it might have been.

I wonder if somebody might be thinking in terms of taking steps to remove certain alien species from places like that - so they can be replaced by native species.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
On 04/03/2021 at 04:34, Huw Griffiths said:

I wonder if somebody might be thinking in terms of taking steps to remove certain alien species from places like that - so they can be replaced by native species.

The series on Chatsworth House has featured the staff catching them in the river and ponds.  They reckon the species are capable of walking considerable distances between sttretches of water.

• Informative/Useful 1