The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 4 coming early 2023 on Yesterday

Paul.Uni

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first episode last night.

Architecture included:

A visit to the disused Down Street tube station

The  wrought Iron Bennerley Viaduct across the Erewash valley

Rotterdam Centraal Station

It was ok, but I found the choppy presentation a bit annoying, leaping from one location to another, rather than dealing with one site as a whole.  I suppose it was edited to account for viewers with limited attention spans....

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying this. I discovered it through one of the lecturers at York University being involved.

Am downloading the earlier episodes.

I don't mind the cutting between different locations, it is a very standard format for current television programmes to keep viewers interested. Different to the kind of videos produced for the railway enthusiasts market, but then it is a nationally broadcast programme.

• 2 weeks later...

As a RMweb member for a couple of years I came on here looking for something really quite different this morning, but it was nice to see this thread and I really must say that I'm not a fan of that presenter bloke either.

;)

Edited by timdunn
  • Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've really enjoyed the programmes Tim, have certainly learnt some new things, and personally I enjoy the presenter's obvious enthusiasm - A little ray of light in these dark days !

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Administrators

I like the way the show looks at some of the less obvious gems. Surbiton station blew me away when I visited it years ago and it's nice to see it get the coverage it deserves. The same with Metroland which isn't obvious railway architecture, but important and interesting.

The big problem is that I keep wanting to visit these places and that's not possible at the moment. One day, I'll go arch spotting at Kings Cross and see the worm at Malvern...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, timdunn said:

As a RMweb member for a couple of years I came on here looking for something really quite different this morning, but it was nice to see this thread and I really must say that I'm not a fan of that presenter bloke either.

;)

Is there any chance of a series 2 Tim?

There's so much railway architecture that deserves appreciation by a wider audience that your current series has delivered so well.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've quite enjoyed these and am wavering somewhere between "harmless" and "mostly harmless" when I consider the presenter personality aspect, so much so that when he turned up a couple of times on the Nighy voice-overed Scenic Railways last week it barely registered...

The scripts Bill is given leave a little room for the rare giggle here and there, but that just adds to his endearing persona in my view.

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 11:11, Hroth said:

Watched the first episode last night.

Architecture included:

A visit to the disused Down Street tube station

The  wrought Iron Bennerley Viaduct across the Erewash valley

Rotterdam Centraal Station

It was ok, but I found the choppy presentation a bit annoying, leaping from one location to another, rather than dealing with one site as a whole.  I suppose it was edited to account for viewers with limited attention spans....

Only watched the first episode because of the chopping and changing between locations which completely put me off watching the rest of the series. Shame, because the series had potential. 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2020 at 16:51, PMP99 said:

Only watched the first episode because of the chopping and changing between locations which completely put me off watching the rest of the series. Shame, because the series had potential. 

Agreed that is a bit irritating, but much less so than Abandoned Engineering on the same channel - full of interesting material but it would be much more enjoyable without the  frantically swooping and zooming camera work, portentous music and fake mystery.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have only seen two ( the most recent ) programmes, and have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed them.

The chopping & changing of locations was a little off-putting, but the breadth of the subject is massive, and the surface is only really being skimmed.

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Flauty smell chucker

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Tim has seen Alison Graham in the Radio Times:

Which is why I find The Architecture the Railways Built so lovely and so poignant. Railway historian Tim Dunn, a delightful young man with so much enthusiasm for his subject you wish it could be turned into a flavour of ice cream and sold in cartons, visits railways across the world to look at sumptuous or quirky stations and other trackside delights.

I love the series and it has become one of my lockdown treats, though my heart hurts just a little bit every episode because Tim, so untypical of many presenters who make you feel like they are doing you a favour just by turning up, doesn't have to board a train in full hazmat gear gear and carrying a canary... It's balm to the soul: you will be transported in so many ways and there is an essential kindness to it, too.

It's quite an achievement to produce a railway program that "normals" enjoy, yet which enthusiasts don't find elementary or patronising. Well done Tim.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tonight's is a varied bunch of buildings, as ever - and purposefully so...

1. Llanberis engine shed

2. Hafod Eryri (Snowdon summit) station

3. Strasbourg station - now encased in a glass bubble (!) and you'll see why

4. Shrewsbury station - an absolute fave of mine

6. Shrewsbury Severn Bridge Signal Box - the world's largest operating mechanical signal box... but then you knew that already ;)

severn bridge small.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2020 at 15:53, Andy Kirkham said:

Agreed that is a bit irritating, but much less so than Abandoned Engineering on the same channel - full of interesting material but it would be much more enjoyable without the  frantically swooping and zooming camera work, portentous music and fake mystery.

Yes, the fake mystery is particularly annoying!

On 03/06/2020 at 15:53, Andy Kirkham said:

I don't remember which one it was now (though it was only a week or two ago) but there was one about the development of railways in the UK, and all the cutaway shots of railways in action were of US locos and rolling stock...

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't remember which one it was now (though it was only a week or two ago) but there was one about the development of railways in the UK, and all the cutaway shots of railways in action were of US locos and rolling stock...

Certainly not on ours! We've gone to particularly extreme lengths to obtain relevant footage and images given budget and time restraints. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought last night's broadcast was very good again; having stopped overnight in Strasbourg a few times on rail journeys further into Europe it was interesting to learn more of the stations redevelopment.  Very jealous of Tim being able to visit Severn Bridge Jn. signal box - having passed it many times I still don't think I appreciated quite how big it is until I saw the shots of the inside!  When I went to Snowdon summit the weather was the same .... 

Last nights was very good, less "skippy" that tne first episodes and so a more coherent story being told about each location.  I've not been on Snowdon for ages (the last time, I walked up the mountain , and not by the "easy" footpath either...) so I only remember the wreck of the old station, the new one looks wonderful and once we're able to do things properly again, I'll be taking the train!  Strasbourg showed an imaginitive way to expand an old station and Severn Bridge Signal Box was a symphony of interlocking.  Sad to see all the white levers, but that was probably partially due to the elimination of the Wolverhampton-Birkenhead Woodside GWR route in the late 60s.

I see that next week, we'll be looking at Wolferton Station on the former King's Lynn-Hunstanton line.  I suppose that at least the buildings still exist in private ownership, but for a glimpse of it as a proper railway station, Talking Pictures (Ch81) showed "John Betjeman Goes By Train" last week, travelling by Cravens and Derby Lightweight DMUs.  and stopping for a good look around at both Wolferton and Snettisham stations. It'll probably be repeated soon, so keep an eye open!

And if they don't the BFI have this slice of Britain in 1962 to view for free (UK only, I suspect)

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-john-betjeman-goes-by-train-kings-lynn-to-hunstanton-1962-online

Edited by Hroth
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Tim for an engaging,well researched and wholly engrossing diversion in these uncertain times. Loved ..as indeed did my wife.....your views and history of St.Pancras. The Butterley Iron Company...or the remains of it.. was demolished at the commencement of Eurostar operations there. Never mind that,21C facelift has given us a St.Pancras that John Betjemen would have given his poetic soul for.Thank you for celebrating it .A night in that hotel would be one to relish....

• Like 1

Have to say I find it interesting to see inside some of the subjects that have been picked to show.

As modellers we do our own research into our various layout choices and we may well know something of the program content already, but as a program for general viewing I think it covers it`s subject well. Hope there`s more to come.

I`m also pleased to see other channels showing different sides of the railway world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1