Jump to content
Non-Gold users will see a video pop-up ad on most screens. This is a test. It should not appear on mobiles etc. ×

The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 3 starts 13 September on Yesterday


Paul.Uni
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched tonight's episode (I recorded it so watched it slightly delayed to cut out the adverts) . Really enjoyed it , I have been suffering from cancer for the last seven months so to watch something that really took my mind of my everyday issues was a real treat, thank you Tim and your team.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the Blackfriars section especially interesting, I knew that the station now spans the Thames but had no idea how much work was involved to achieve that. A magnificent project (and programme !). 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

That Scottish Station was simply Devine.


Wemyys Bay is every bit as lovely as depicted in the programme.  It's well worth a visit once germageddon is over.  Gorgeous station, lovely little town, great bar at the station while your waiting for your return train. :-) 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The wee trip across to Rothsay is nice too . Wemyss Bay is a gorgeous station . You still get that sense of occasion that you are going somewhere when you get off the train and walk down the covered walkway to the boat .  Probably best late spring/ summer when they have great flower displays . 

 

Hopefully we can get out and about later this year 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wemyss Bay and Sao Bento on the same show... they'll never top that. 

First encountered SB on a PTG tour in 2002 with lots of haulage with the EE 1200s on both the Beira lines and an ugly but thrashtastic MLW  to Pocinho and back on the Douro line. Magic. SB struck me as being just like Glasgow Queen Street but with the temperature turned up. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

I found the Blackfriars section especially interesting, I knew that the station now spans the Thames but had no idea how much work was involved to achieve that. A magnificent project (and programme !). 

 

I followed the work when it was featured in Modern Railways, so knew some of what to expect but to see it in more detail was  very informative

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

An enjoyable first episode of Series 2. 

It’s obvious the producers have listened to the feedback from S1 as the episode was wonderfully paced with less jumping back and forth, more relaxed and a tonic in these current times. 
Well done to Tim and the team. 
 

In other good news, series 3 has already been commissioned. 

  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

In other good news, series 3 has already been commissioned. 

 

Excellent news. 

 

I can't hep wondering whether, in the 22nd century, there will be a TV series called 'The Architecture the Motorways built', with such gems as Charnock Richard services taking the place of Wemyss Bay station ? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, caradoc said:

 

Excellent news. 

 

I can't hep wondering whether, in the 22nd century, there will be a TV series called 'The Architecture the Motorways built', with such gems as Charnock Richard services taking the place of Wemyss Bay station ? 

 

 Carbon dating the sandwiches? 
 

22 hours ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

Wemyss Bay and Sao Bento on the same show... they'll never top that. 

First encountered SB on a PTG tour in 2002 with lots of haulage with the EE 1200s on both the Beira lines and an ugly but thrashtastic MLW  to Pocinho and back on the Douro line. Magic. SB struck me as being just like Glasgow Queen Street but with the temperature turned up. 

 


Queen Street but with a lot of grouting! 
 

it was certainly a very enjoyable programme . 

Edited by Legend
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, caradoc said:

 

Excellent news. 

 

I can't hep wondering whether, in the 22nd century, there will be a TV series called 'The Architecture the Motorways built', with such gems as Charnock Richard services taking the place of Wemyss Bay station ? 

 

Mmm!:huh:

However Forton would definitely feature, the tower is listed.

So would Gravelly Hill (Spaghetti Junction)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Very interesting episode and some places I must visit once we can travel again. Good news about the 3rd series too,

 

Watched on Tuesday - also watching the repeat now.

 

Particularly like the look of the station at Wemyss Bay.

 

That station in Porto also looks stunning - although I must admit that many of us are probably more familiar with a certain beverage made using produce from the Douro Valley.

 

I am, of course, referring to the fortified wine named after Porto.

 

 

Huw.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/01/2021 at 22:18, Frond said:

Just watched tonight's episode (I recorded it so watched it slightly delayed to cut out the adverts) . Really enjoyed it , I have been suffering from cancer for the last seven months so to watch something that really took my mind of my everyday issues was a real treat, thank you Tim and your team.

 

 

Thanks Frond - et al - for taking time to say kind things about the programme. Yes, the producers did listen to feedback, and made it even better. We've made no secret that Series 3 is underway too - filming is rather more protracted than Series 2 because of Covid restrictions but we're getting there! So nine more weeks of S2 to show, then S3 later this year, probably. Having a lovely time, with a very clever bunch of experts on camera, and behind it.

 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, timdunn said:

Having a lovely time, with a very clever bunch of experts on camera, and behind it.

 

 

It shows Tim! There are far fewer continuity issues in the edit than virtually every other railway travelogue of late.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

 

It shows Tim! There are far fewer continuity issues in the edit than virtually every other railway travelogue of late.

Agree, nicely made doc.

Reversed images and trains running backwards (the marker lights give it away) seem to be de rigour on most railway docs as well as inserts nothing to do with the subject in hand. (e.g. an American 4-4-0 in a UK doc.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 21/01/2021 at 13:20, melmerby said:

Mmm!:huh:

However Forton would definitely feature, the tower is listed.

So would Gravelly Hill (Spaghetti Junction)

Found these undated slides - I guess 1965ish heading north up the M 6.  Forton under construction.  Wasn't it thought at the time of its construction that it would make a good day out with the car for a meal in the tower - complete with waitress service.  

 

And no central reservation barriers and no HGV's!  And a lovely red finished hard shoulder.  And to think that this was all before the introduction of the 70mph speed limit.  Happy Days!  (Alisdair) 

M6 forton services (2).jpg

M6 northbound (2).jpg

Edited by ardbealach
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Found these undated slides - I guess 1965ish heading north up the M 6.  Forton under construction.  Wasn't it thought at the time of its construction that it would make a good day out with the car for a meal in the tower - complete with waitress service.  

 

And no central reservation barriers and no HGV's!  And a lovely red finished hard shoulder.  And thiks was all before the introduction of the 70mph speed limit.  Happy Days!  (Alisdair) 

M6 forton services (2).jpg

 

Doesn't look that different now:

 image.png.155fdefce042e39475a7045059d89614.png 

 

The trees have matured somewhat.

The tower has been closed since 1989 as it doesn't meet fire regs, it was listed Grade II in 2012.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Paul.Uni changed the title to The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 3 starts 13 September on Yesterday

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...