Sources of modelling card?

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

I've got a few download-and-print kits (mostly scalescenes), for which I need some suitable card - mostly 0.75mm, 1mm & 2mm greyboard according to the various instructions. Our local 'hobbycraft' and the local model shop don't stock anything suitable, so I was wondering where other people get it from? I'd like to avoid Amazon if possible...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nearly the right time of year to ask the question.

First port of call:  every office that you know and ask for their old calendars*.  The back support sheet is often exactly the sort of card you are looking for and often comes in a variety of thicknesses.

Alternatively Ebay in the "scrapbooking and paper" section.

*some of the pictures can also be used to produce a collage backscene 

• Thanks 1

You could try The Works, also you don't need 2mm, you can just laminate 2 pieces of 1mm together, the scalescenes sheet is then the 3rd lamination which stops it from warping.

If you have a local picture framers you may get some off cuts from them or they may sell you a sheet or two as they use 1mm grey/white board.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Richard at CM3Models.co.uk does a very full range in A3 and A4 as well as combination packs including some specific to Scalescenes kits. Good service by mail order or via shows he attends in the north east. Also has an Ebay shop.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

First I'd have a look in your local art shop. I'd recommend Rocket card and paper glue, the stuff is amazing. It's like super glue for card and grabs very quickly. Being a very thin glue it's perfect for bonding sheets of card to make thicker pieces.

I use quite a lot of thin corrugated card from food packaging. I like the varieties that have a glossy outer surface. The material is very stable, strong and resistant to warping when glued. I often cut the corrugated back away from the very edge of one piece when making a corner join. I leave the glossy side facing outwards. I can get totally perfect corner joins this way. I then add Daz clay, glued on with PVA, and scribe stonework into this. Where there are window and door opening I push the Daz into the corrugation to hide it at the raw cut edges.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2019 at 13:28, Nick C said:

I've got a few download-and-print kits (mostly scalescenes), for which I need some suitable card - mostly 0.75mm, 1mm & 2mm greyboard according to the various instructions. Our local 'hobbycraft' and the local model shop don't stock anything suitable, so I was wondering where other people get it from? I'd like to avoid Amazon if possible...

Places like the range are good for getting 1mm mountboard from A4 up to A2 at good price(s), like 50p/60p per A4 or around that price. Other places are good to look is in local art supply shops as well for greyboard and mountboard. For thinner card, you can get cheap stuff from poundland, which is good for very light use or even to protect surfaces when gluing and the like. Cereal packets and other food packaging is good for lighter card as well. That's what I use.

If you have a local picture framer, try them as I have munched my way through several supermarket bag fulls from one that was delighted to get rid of offcuts from the picture mounts

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I totally recommend an Art Supply Shop for card.  They will have the best quality and in varying thicknesses.  It will cost a bob or two.  I have found laminating card to get larger thickness to be a pain.  Maybe I've been doing it wrong.

You will also need matte varnish for your prints, like Krylon.  Sanding sticks from the pharmacy ladies section (nail files) are useful.  I also have a couple of sanding sticks with coarse sandpaper from my model shop.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I pick up old card from the supermarket in town. Helps I know the manager. Its the stuff that has adverts on it and hangs about the isles and shelves. Generally big sheets and looks similar to mount board. Its easy to cut and glue. Best of all its free. Mount board is available from lots of suppliers in a4 and a3 sizes.

1 hour ago, 14Steve14 said:

Mount board is available from lots of suppliers in a4 and a3 sizes.

Even in an expensive shop like Hobbycraft, an A1 (23" X 33") sheet of mountboard is only £3.30. You can make a lot of model buildings from that and doubly so if working in N/2mm scale like me.

I tend to buy card in bulk from either ebay or amazon 50 sheets of A4 grey 2mm board about £15 with delivery, and 1mm a few pounds cheaper.

Also if you look you can also buy card packs for specific scalescenes models with the correct amount of each thickness. I found these cost more overall than buying the packs of 50 if you are building multiple models, but if its first time building one they are ideal.

Whilst the traditional cornflake packet material is rubbish (maybe it was better in the days when it was the recommended starting point), I've found that the boxes that some dog biscuits (the bone shaped ones) come in are made from excellent, smooth faced and quite dense and strong card. Haven't put the calipers on it but it looks to be a wee bit shy of 1mm. So see if you can get any dog owners you know to pass on their empty bikkie boxes. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that anyone has ever really recommended cereal packets although they would probably just about work with enough shellac.

Best really to go to Hobbycraft (other art/handicraft shops are available) and buy a sheet of good quality card. May seem a bit pricey but you will get a lot of buildings out of one A0 sheet.

Another possible source is printed notices in shops for promotional items and the like (usuallyhanging from the false ceiling). Shop manager will be only too happy to give you out-of-date notices rather than add to their refuse bill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding Cereal Packets etc.

The main difference between now and years ago is in the ink used for printed.  Ages ago it used to flow into the card.  Modern printing inks tend to just adhere to the surface.  In order to get a good surface for gluing on the printed surface it is necessary to lightly roughen this with sandpaper.  Just enough to take some of the printing off.

Some of the discount chains which sell food are still open, and their stationery section has photograph have photo paper which are essentially thin cardboard.

2 hours ago, crackedmember said:

Some of the discount chains which sell food are still open, and their stationery section has photograph have photo paper which are essentially thin cardboard.

With the covid-19 virus this is not really an essential product so should people be encouraged to go out and buy this. Not so sure if we are to stop the spread of this virus. Remember that we are supposed to be staying inside unless its essential.

Edited by 14Steve14
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:19, 14Steve14 said:

With the covid-19 virus this is not really an essential product so should people be encouraged to go out and buy this. Not so sure if we are to stop the spread of this virus. Remember that we are supposed to be staying inside unless its essential.

No harm if you are already there buying food. I have always used A4 and A3 grey board from Amazon but, based on the above, I have just ordered some Daler Board to try.

One word of warning. Some of the 2mm card from Amazon isn't. I found this out the hard way when the roof for my barn was not long enough. Went back and measured all the printed sheets - all perfect. Measured my 2mm card, and found it to be just over 2.2mm. Given the roof was supposed to sit inside 4 layers of card (2 each end), that made 1.6mm difference. Rather than rebuild the base, I scaled the roof slightly when printing it. I have now started checking all the measurements before sticking / cutting the printed sheets.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I recently bought the starter selection pack from CM3models ebay shop. Was going to buy in bulk but I haven't done scalescenes before and wanted to try something before committing further, this was the cheapest way I found to get everything needed. Looks like there's enough to do a couple of the free downloads, if I'm capable enough of building them this will be much cheaper for the end aim (retaining walls) and I imagine for other things you might use lots of such as platforms. Ordered before Easter and it duly arrived on the estimated date, well packaged with cardboard to protect the corners.

Something I discovered a while ago in my art supply shop is 3mm thick foam core (the standard thickness I've found is 5mm).  If the kit calls for multiple layers, this could ease the job.  I build in 7mm, so making multiple layers of thick card can be an exhausting job.

John