Sources of modelling card?

Nick C

• RMweb Gold
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 07:53, Roy Langridge said:

No harm if you are already there buying food. I have always used A4 and A3 grey board from Amazon but, based on the above, I have just ordered some Daler Board to try.

One word of warning. Some of the 2mm card from Amazon isn't. I found this out the hard way when the roof for my barn was not long enough. Went back and measured all the printed sheets - all perfect. Measured my 2mm card, and found it to be just over 2.2mm. Given the roof was supposed to sit inside 4 layers of card (2 each end), that made 1.6mm difference. Rather than rebuild the base, I scaled the roof slightly when printing it. I have now started checking all the measurements before sticking / cutting the printed sheets.

Roy

Further to the above, things seem to be getting worse. I just purchased some further 1mm / 1000 micron card and what arrived was little over 0.5mm, I didn't object as it was quite useful but ordered some more from another source. That arrived yesterday and it is 1.60mm thick. Given the Scalescene kits are designed around the dimensions being accurate, it is a right pain in the proverbial.

Both suppliers have been used before and are not just cheap fly-by-night operations.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following my purchase of the starter pack from CM3, I spent some time looking for a bulk buy on 2mm and 1mm as following a test build I went in for the retaining wall and will need several feet of it, if my sanity can take the cutting and building of it all. I had a look on amazon and ebay but some of the comments on here had me err on the side of caution and I went with PaperCutz in the end, as suggested on the scalescenes site. The 25 sheet packs bring a good discount and I ended up getting a pack of 25 x 2mm and 25 x 1mm greyboard in A4, total cost £17.24. It arrived fairly quickly given the outside world conditions, wrapped in paper, surrounded by bubble wrap in a cardboard box. Haven't used it yet but it seems to match up with what I already have.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 5 months later...

I built a pair of Scalescenes test platforms, one out of corrugated card and one out of cereal packets.

I found that I could layer the papers up and glue them straight onto the textures rather than backing them onto any templates. In 4mm scale it doesn't make all that much difference although maybe a guillotine might help to get the cuts straight.

They were surprisingly solid. The short one is the cardboard one and is a lot chunkier, the other one is cereal packets layered together. Have a look.

IMG_20170731_230004.jpg.642b38aee1c1d67eb0f598e113aa3fc0.jpg

IMG_20170731_230014.jpg

IMG_20170731_230042.jpg

IMG_20170731_230053.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I use laminated cereal card  for many of my scratch built models and downloaded paper kits. Three layers using PVA, then placed between two drawing boards with weights on top, until dry, results in a good flat board. For N scale models two layers are usually sufficient. When it comes to applying paper kits to the cardboard I use the jumbo Pritt stick and a wall paper roller to smooth out any air bubbles. I make my own adjustments cutting the card for paper kits, so not always too worried about thickness of the card suggested.