Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you work your way around an exhibition?

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a few comments recently, both online and in the magazines, deploring "those people [at exhibitions] who only spend a few minutes looking at a layout, then move on". Now, when I visit a show, particularly larger ones, I often don't have time to spend half an hour or more at each layout - so over the last few years I've come up with a bit of a strategy, whereby I'll usually start by walking fairly quickly round the whole thing, and, indeed, spending just a few minutes at each layout (and a quick glance at each trade stand to work out who is where). I'll then sit down with a cup of tea to work out what I want to go and see properly - and what I can miss out on (for example, layouts I've seen several times before, or those that, for whatever reason, don't interest me)

I was therefore wondering what other people do? Do you plan in advance? Start at one end and hope you'll have time to see everything? Skip past anything that's not your scale/area/era?

• RMweb Premium

I am quite selfish, I glace at those who subject matter is not in my sphere of interest. If there are layouts that have content I connect with then I can stay viewing for some time.

Traders, it depends if I am after something in particular or if my opportunistic purchasing head is on then I will look at their stands otherwise I can amble gently past them.

Demonstration stands, I like to learn and chat.

Society stands, if there is someone I know on them I will have a natter. I think I am in all the societies I want to be in.

Refreshment area, sandwich, cake and a cuppa....you bet.

Bumping into other railway modelling friends, isn't that what exhibitions are for?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Layouts - I tend to look at the scenery more than the train's, after all the vast majority are running RTR stock, and if its a layout I've seen before then it may only get a scant glance to see I anything has changed while on some the scenery is not that special and a constant flow of RTR stock does not particularly entertain. York I tend to do  very lazily by taking the lift to the top floor and walking down and out unless a U turn is needed as that trader up there has that cheaper that this one.

• RMweb Gold

I’m not good at crowds, so tend to hit the shows on Sunday morning/lunchtime.  I have a preliminary scout around, noting stalls and layouts I want to look at.  Then I walk around more slowly; this phase is the bulk of the exhibition time I take.  Looking at the layouts and stalls noted earlier, spending at least 5 minutes and often a lot more at each, chatting to anyone who knows me and sometimes introducing myself to

or being introduced to some of youse guyz.  

The tea and a sticky bun, and a further look around including stuff I ignored earlier (and sometime being pleasantly surprised), picking up anything I’ve bought, and going for a beer.  The sticky bun keeps me going til teatime, and the post- Sunday lunch crowds are starting to faze me; time to go!

Wigan is my major show - and always an excellent one at that with plenty of room around exhibits & stands.

I tend to do as The Johnster above does - a quick fly round, then look at the traders noting anything that seems interesting (and it's price for comparison). A leisurely walk around every layout, of course staying longer at some - then  back to the traders to spend a couple of bob - books mainly, the odd tool and spare parts etc - I have enough models / projects. Lastly another look at my favourite layouts then home. Usually 3-4 hours.

I might go to Manchester next week - years since I last went to their exhibition.

Brit15

Have a quick walk about and get my bearings. Taking a mental note what may be of interest (whether it's a layout or stall). Then have a proper look at everything. Then I'll spend the rest of the time having a watch of the ones I liked most.

Then a good rummage through the stalls. Particularly if it's a show that has small suppliers selling bits and bobs rather than just brand new RTR.

I usually only go to the smaller to medium shows and spend most of the day there. So it's normally all done at leisure. Then a couple of pints before getting the train back to civilisation, most exhibitions aren't in city centres anymore so you often need to make sure you don't miss any shuttle buses they've put on. The last thing you need is being stuck in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I tend to arrive just before opening time, as the doors open, I head for the secondhand / club stalls  as that's where any bargains are.. After that it's a tour round the traders, again bargains go early.. Then I retire to the tea bar as it will then start getting crowded. Once recovered from the rush,  I'll head for layouts I particularly wish to see queueing if necessary. After that another muggacoffee, before the grand tour of everything else..

I tend to avoid friends layouts (no offence!) at first because I know i'll end up chatting / operating. Otherwise I'll generally look round for layouts I've gone to see.

Apologies for mentioning it again but when I've got the 10 and 6yr old MiniMe's in tow they want to look at the layouts in order. At a recent show there was a children's competition to look for a small animal placed on each layout, fill in all of them on your sheet with the layout's name enters  you into a prize draw, and it was a great way to have to look at all of the layouts as otherwise I wouldn't have given some more than a quick glance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ll go around the average hall always starting on the left and go around the outside and then do the middle bit last...I don’t like starting on the right, strange I know!

With layouts it depends, sometimes I’ll scan one at walking pace and make a note to come back, others grab me immediately and I’ll spend a while looking before realising I’ve spent 20-odd mins there! I also feel self-conscious when you’re the only one looking at a small layout, but you’re not yet in conversation with the operator, it kind of feels like you need to wait for another spectator to arrive before moving on, or else cut any tension by daring to starting a convo, with the big risk you’ll be stuck there being talked at about electronics or something even drier..!

For traders, typically most are flogging secondhand RTR which is fun, so I’ll zoom in on a loco/coach/wagon that I know the true value of and see their price as a test of whether they are worth looking at - often where the comedy starts as you see something grossly overinflated and know it’s time to move on, I also love stands where there are bargain ‘bins’ to grub through! My pet hate for trade stands is where they have RTR boxes that are two-deep and you have to move every box to see if there’s a bargain underneath! Often I’ll hang by and watch others move the boxes, but then you got hope they don’t rhen buy what’s just been spotted but out of reach!

Oh the strange world of exhibitions, we’re all a load of weirdos, me at least anyway :lol:

Cheers

James

Edited by James Makin

I tend to go round the trade first, noting anything of interest for later possible purchase or further inspection, unless I have a list from a particular trader I know to be at the show. That stand will get a cursory glance to check stock levels and I'll be back later if plentiful. If not then purchasing begins. If something I'm interested in as an impulse buy  sells out in the meantime, so be it, I've saved myself a bit of cash. 

During the trade tour a mental note will be taken of any layouts that a quick glimpse of sparks a need for further inspection

Once shopping's done, it's off round the layouts. Some get a quick look, some (noted earlier ) get longer, Some I will move along looking at various aspects rather than pick one spot at the barrier. I may ask about anything of interest on the layout. 

I estimate no more than 30 seconds between train movements will keep my interest unless  there is something else to keep my attention. This is not a hard an fast rule. I have stood in front of some layouts for longer with no movement  going on just because the last train made me want to see more.  This is rare though

Technical problems at a layout, will, if it's a layout I want to see, warrant a second visit later in the hope that the issues have been resolved .

Once all that's done I may revisit the layouts that interested me the most and perhaps a last scout round the trade in case I've forgotten or remembered something I need for a project.

About 20% of the time there is spent catching up with aquaintances, many of whom, seem to know my name but I can't for the life of me remember theirs, but can probably remember which layout, trade stand or club they are / were associated with.

Refreshments (if any) take place after the shopping, between layout watching or just before leaving for home

An average size exhibition (e,g Wakefield) will take around 2 -3  hours of my time. Small shows less than an hour, larger shows maybe 3 -4 hours, but this can vary dramatically depending on content.

Andy

16 hours ago, Alcanman said:

These days I watch exhibitions on YouTube. Saves a lot of money and time and no rucksacks.

This week I've watched all the layouts at Warley in videos made by one chap. Brilliant!

If we all did that who would finance the exhibitions?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My strategy is much the same as the OP (Nick C).  I'll have a quick look round everything first.  Hopefully, during that quick look round I'll find a friend (exhibitor or trader) where I can leave my coat and bag :friends:.  Then I'll have a brew and possibly also lunch.  During the break I'll have a look through the programme and then decide where I'll concentrate my time on a slow look round after the break.  Most likely trade first, then the layouts, with possibly another brew in the afternoon.  Last job is usually any really popullar layouts that have had a crowd and those traders I'm likely to have a chat with.  I'm sure they don't want long chats when they're busy, so later on when most folk have already left seems more sensible.

• RMweb Premium

I usually do a bit of research before the show, assuming the organisers have a website (and it's up to date!) and I might well have a shopping list prepared off the back of that, so will usually scoot round the traders to sort that out first.

Then I'll bimble round the show, usually doing the outside ring first and then any cross aisles. Like James, I usually find myself starting on the left.

I will usually look at every layout as I've often been surprised/inspired by something on a layout which falls outside my usual interests, although some layouts might only get a quick 'once over' if they are very generic ootb trainsets. With my exhibition manager's hat on, I'm also on the lookout for suitable layouts to invite to my show (or my club's show)

I'll also check the s/h traders just to see if by fortune there's any Czech TT, British H0 or DR H0 bargains to be had. And I always give the s/h book sellers a good look - there are still some gaps in my bookshelves! 

• RMweb Gold

Mention of rucksacks prompts me to comment on my carrying arrangements.  When I bought my Mac computer, it came in a nice little white rucksack with drawcords and of course a printed Apple.  This has several useful features; it can be folded small enough to go in a pocket, and is small enough even when you put stuff in it to prevent you buying too much stuff.   I travel fairly light to shows, and leave picking up my purchases to the last minute (stallholders are always very accommodating in this respect).

The proper big shows, like Warley or York, are far too crowded for me to even consider; I'd have a full on meltdown panic attack!

• RMweb Premium

I get dragged around the very few shows I can make by 2 small children who have the attention span of a ... Consequently I don't get much time to look at anything, though I do try and drag them back to some more interesting layouts. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I tend to head to the left and cover all the layouts in a fairly methodical manner for a few minutes each. I then visit the refreshments and retrace my steps back the other way, as I sometimes notice other enticing details from a different angle. I will tend to spend shorter timespans at layouts that didn’t initially intrigue me on this second walk through.

i will then look at traders.

If I can, I pre-plan the stands I want to see but don't bee-line them.

Walking long the aisles, I tend to look to my left and see what catches my eye. With a largeish show like Warley, (Cologne and Eurospoor are several times larger!), I trace my walk on the floor plan to ensure that I've covered everything.

As for rucksacks, if I am unable to leave mine at a friendly stand, it becomes a vorsack (rucksack is derived from the German 'Ruck', i.e. Back)

Edited by JohnDMJ

I take a Brunswick green highlight pen, sit down with the guide and mark those layouts depicting a certain unmentionable company.  Then work out routes avoiding the highlighted areas.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

I take a Brunswick green highlight pen, sit down with the guide and mark those layouts depicting a certain unmentionable company.  Then work out routes avoiding the highlighted areas.

Bill

Proof, if proof were needed,m that we're all different!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Usually have a quick recce, then focus on specific layouts and traders as required. 

I usually allow just over 2 hours or so for the biggest events and a bit less for smaller shows especially if the layouts and traders are familiar.