Hello fellow railway modellers,
I read a lot of very inspirational threads and I decided to build a very simple tuning fork layout. As it's my first try, please don't be too cruel with my poor work. The layout will measure 60cm x 18cm. First, I'll build a small mock-up of the scenic section (28cm x 18cm). Very happy to have suggestions for my layout. I also need a better name for my layout. Thanks.

751049964_MONTFORTSIDINGS.jpg.2a817ebffda1b3e65879eb10f02345f2.jpg

Edited by Montfort2
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HonestTom said:

Tuning forks are very underrated in my opinion. You can create some great shunting puzzles with them.

Could you expand on this? I struggle to invisage such puzzles but genuinely would like to understand... Inglenooks and shunting yes, but struggle to see much interest in a tuning fork - BUT have never tried to build one myself...

Thanks

Ralf

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Could you expand on this? I struggle to invisage such puzzles but genuinely would like to understand... Inglenooks and shunting yes, but struggle to see much interest in a tuning fork - BUT have never tried to build one myself...

Thanks

Ralf

Sure thing. I'm actually building one myself here. The basic concept is that you have a number of different destinations that wagons have to be sent to. For instance, on my layout, there are three - an unloading platform, a warehouse and a boiler house. There is a fourth "free" space. Each wagon has a particular destination - coal wagons to the boiler house, empties to the warehouse, full wagons to the unloading platform. Wagons are selected at random using a dice, and then delivered to the destination. If another wagon is in the way, it must be moved and then returned. If there is already a wagon at the destination, it has to be moved to the free space. If the selected wagon is already on the board, it has to be removed. If all the spaces are occupied, a wagon must be removed. And so forth.

You can introduce other rules - for instance, perhaps when a wagon has been unloaded at one destination, it must be loaded up at another. Or include special moves, like a passenger train or change of locomotive. With a longer set-up, you can add more destinations.

This is an American real-life prototype, but it offers more possibilities. There, it's a single type of wagon, but the rules relate to the order in which wagons must be removed. Here's another.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have you tried to put wagons / loco into the two sidings yet ?  It looks very tight.  Remember that whilst there may be a wagon in the nearest siding, that may partially block the curve into the upper thereby rendering that unusable.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1