How do you keep track of functions for different decoders ...

david128

I've only got a few decoders, but the functions on them are different enough that I need someway to remind me what each engine can do - it's more of an issue now I've started to introduce some sound decoders, so the functions are quite different from  the non-sound decoders (and sound decoders for different diesel locos have some different functions)

I've started down the path of creating some 'cheat sheets' for each loco, but I'm thinking other people must have had this issue and already have a solution 

• RMweb Premium

I have the same problem.  I do have cheat sheets but can’t usually be bothered to use them.  In practise I usually just use a handful of functions, sound on/off, horn and not much else. 

Probably the ‘correct’ answer is to use function mapping to make the functions common across all your fleet eg F7 is guards whistle - I don’t have the expertise to do this. Plus so many new sounds keep being added as decoders develop making it even more of a challenge.

• RMweb Gold

I've created an Excel spreadsheet that lists functions across the top and locos down the side with each relevant box populated with the function number. I keep an up to date printed copy on the layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I agree with Crosland, and was writing the same...    Decide on what you want as a "standard" for your layout, and use the Function Mapping in decoders to move things around to what you want.    (And if the decoder is a cheap crummy one with inadequate function mapping, replace it with something decent).

Even works for the ECoS - because the same buttons on the control panel will always have the same labels beside them !

- Nigel

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be useful if someone can point us to clear  instructions on how to actually carry out function mapping, instructions that a non-techie like me can u detest and and follow. I do have a Sprog which I use to record the CV settings.

3 minutes ago, ColinK said:

It would be useful if someone can point us to clear  instructions on how to actually carry out function mapping, instructions that a non-techie like me can u detest and and follow. I do have a Sprog which I use to record the CV settings.

I think the problem is going to be that the function mapping procedures are decoder specific.  The step by step instructions for a Zimo decoder would be no use if you use ESU decoders, so that leads back to reading the manual that comes with the decoder.

PS - I've never tried it because I don't have enough DCC fitted locomotives yet.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ColinK said:

If you are using DecoderPro/JMRI (which you almost certainly are, if you have a Sprog), then the Function Map pane for each decoder is where you start. 

Exactly what can be changed depends on each decoder (different makers do different things), but that's the starting place, and will cover lights outputs. 

How sounds are moved around is very much decoder maker specific. 

For ESU V4 and V5, JMRI has a very capable function map which can move sound slots around - its pretty much the same user interface as found in ESU's LokProgrammer hardware/software combination.  

For Zimo, there are several methods within JMRI (because Zimo keep adding new methods to do things). "Zimo Input Mapping" tab on the programmer may be the simplest to understand, but there is also the older "pseudo programmer" script (which I wrote many years ago) which provides assistance for the "pseudo programming" method described in the Zimo manual.   These days I'd use the "Zimo Input Mapping" part.    There is also the "Sound Samples" tab which is capable of moving just about anysound to anywhere, but for some reason (I'll raise it with the writer of the file), its been dropped from the most recent Zimo decoders within JMRI, but is present if one drops back to the V33 decoders...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1