45562 Alberta + 46115 Scots Guardsman 1Z86 24/11/19

adb968008

• RMweb Gold

If you went down to Shap on Sunday, your surely we’re in for a big surprise...

Yes your reading it correctly....

not my picture, but several videos have emerged of 45562 Alberta double heading 46115 Scots Guardsman on Shap this weekend...

Welcome back 45562 Alberta!

(Not mine - Flickr URL)

46115 has completed its recent overhaul, and 45699 Galatea has had a repaint to BR Green, and considering many substantial parts are recovered parts of 45562 Alberta it has been renumbered to reflect it..

A fantastic idea by WCRC.

Maybe someday we could have a line up of 45551 Alberta, 45593 Alberta & 45699 Alberta reflecting its legacy to the movement. :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That's quite a sight! Thanks for posting it.  What bits from Alberta did 45699 get? I understand 45593 got 45562's tender when it was preserved, but were lots of other bits from Alberta squirrelled away just in case? 45699 looks great in green, and it's still hard to believe that it is the same loco that was the unloved spared parts donor for 5690, but as a long firebox loco perhaps doesn't make the most convincing Alberta.

Simon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marshall5 said:

I believe it's called 'owner's privilege'.

Ray.

As an effective ex owner of a kettle, I have no problems with owners painting it whatever colour they want as long as I can criticise them for being either boring or stupid (or occasionally both) .

1 hour ago, Marshall5 said:

I believe it's called 'owner's privilege'.

Ray.

As an effective ex owner of a kettle, I have no problems with owners painting it whatever colour they want as long as I can criticise them for being either boring or stupid (or occasionally both) .

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 00:39, 65179 said:

That's quite a sight! Thanks for posting it.  What bits from Alberta did 45699 get? I understand 45593 got 45562's tender when it was preserved, but were lots of other bits from Alberta squirrelled away just in case? 45699 looks great in green, and it's still hard to believe that it is the same loco that was the unloved spared parts donor for 5690, but as a long firebox loco perhaps doesn't make the most convincing Alberta.

Simon

IIRC Alberta made the journey to Cashmores Great Bridge via Tyseley .... would have been surprising if there were many useful bits left on her after she left there

And heres a clue...

https://lms-patriot.org.uk/sites/default/files/The_Warrior_Issue_14.pdf

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 00:39, 65179 said:

Simon

i understood that 45562 was stabled at Tyseley on its way to scrap, where numerous spares were acquired.

I do recall reading that so much was stripped that Cashmores complained to BR regarding the purchase price.

heres a picture on flickr (not mine) of 45562 with a few bits missing.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/155601626@N07/44175470360/

Edited by adb968008