Is this right?

cheekychops

Hi

I have attached a picture of the connecting rods from Class J11 BR Black Late Crest 31-320DC. The model is not mine and I am repairing it.

Are the coupling rods supposed to look like this or has someone forced them out of shape or indeed broken them?

Thanks in advance

connecting rod.jpg

Edited by cheekychops
Grammar

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Titan said:

Looks like excessive wear. May be caused by the quartering of the wheels being out. Possibly was binding and someone ran it until the holes wore enough for the binding to go away. 

Or got out the round file/reamer and overdid it.

• RMweb Gold

A bit poor that they can't supply the rod separately. Looks  to me as though the wheels were not square on to the axle so it is a manufacturing fault and they should put things right.

From another viewpoint, not repairs but for scratchbuilding something else, a complete wheelset at £21 seems quite good value.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cheekychops said:

I have also noticed the back wheel pair (0-6-0) can be 'adjusted' or independently turned, so the quartering might be off...

The rear wheelset has the wheels shifting relative to each other? If so the quartering is 'off' and suggests to me some fairly robust mishandling as the most likely cause of this and the other damage; the complete set of wheels and rods are required. You may want to 'consult' tactfully with the owner about the degree of force applied to models. (There are other potential causes for this breakage, but I think 'owner action' the most likely.)

2 hours ago, cheekychops said:

Does anyone know where to obtain a small spanner or tool for the coupling rod bolts?

Most convenient tool is a nut spinner. One source, it's a good product, suits most current UK RTR steam models.

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/2.5mm--suits-12BA-nuts--Nutspinner-78032.html

Looks like the quartering slipped an someone employed a rock ape to fix it by opening out the crankpin holes only for him/her/it to break the rods. I have never seen a Bachmann loco damage rods like this, though I have seen K's break their rods in the past, which is one reason I use Bachmann rods because when everything else has disintegrated the rods seem to be the last bit to be re usable.   One piece rods look like a retrograde step vs a vis 1980s Mainline and Airfix, going back to Triang 1950s technology.