Not honouring a bid?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Surely an auction reserve has to be in the bidding system or else it isn't a reserve?

Putting it in the "small print" isn't part of the bidding system so shouldn't count.

Whenever I see an auction on TV any reserve has already been agreed with the auctioneer, which in this case would be e-bay's computer system - it wasn't.

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, polybear said:

Rule 3:  Except when it weighs over 2Kg, when costs shoot up with RM (eleven quid) - a courier is less than three quid.  RM would still work for an expensive, heavy item as the RM cost would be a small percentage of the value, but for low value items (I have one listed at £7 presently) then another £11 for postage on top just doesn't make it viable.

Rule 4

Don't sell anything over 2kg

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Surely an auction reserve has to be in the bidding system or else it isn't a reserve?

Putting it in the "small print" isn't part of the bidding system so shouldn't count.

Whenever I see an auction on TV any reserve has already been agreed with the auctioneer, which in this case would be e-bay's computer system - it wasn't.

Many years ago I worked for Dixons Photographic, as well as selling new items they had a very active second hand market. I remember being taught to always respect potential sellers equipment as quite often they had an unrealistic idea of what its worth

Looking at this item the seller seems to fall into this category, now I have no idea about whether this loco is a collectors item or its true worth but as had been said there is a right way of applying a reserve, which the seller was certainly aware of during the first sale, had the seller made a genuine error the auction should have been stopped during the listing period and relisted correctly. Personally I feel covering himself as he did by adding a note to the listing is against eBay's rules

• Agree 5

All he was trying to do was avoid the ebay fee for putting on a reserve price.  Trouble is with that strategy he may well have lost a sale at the price he wanted. Without a reserve you need at least two bidders prepared to pay the price you want. If you put a reserve on, you need only one. The highest bidder on the cancelled auction could have had a max bid of £80 or more, but if the second highest doesn't then the price won't go that high...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2019 at 10:39, Gareth 73 said:

Why not just start the auction for £80 if that's the minimum he'd take, seems the obvious thing to do.

Because if you list something for a pound, chances are two people will get over excited and then others get involved end up bidding much higher than if you start at a higher level, which puts them all off and invariably you get one bid for exactly the starting price.

Its not really logical but happens time and again - you regularly see auctions end up higher than similar items on eBay close to ending, still with no bids.

Starting at a low price carries risk, assuming you arent completely immoral, so in my experience you are better off using buy it now and allowing offers than doing an auction at a high start.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

Interesting 2nd comment the Seller has added to the listing, which now does have a reserve...

On 25-Nov-19 at 22:06:58 GMT, seller added the following information:

This item will not be sold for less than £80 so please keep biding u will not get this item for less than that even tho i have not put a reserve on it many thanks bidders

On 28-Nov-19 at 18:19:03 GMT, seller added the following information:

Hi people i am new to ebay only just started using it i have found out how to put a reserve on this item now so please ignore the message regarding the item wont go for less than 80 please feel free to message me regarding items

Bold added - although he claims in the 2nd message to be new to ebay, a quick & simple look at his details shows he joined on 21st Sept 2016 - long enough to get aquainted with ebay rules, which I reckon he knew all along by reason of the part of his 1st comment I've highlighted in bold, inferring he knows how to put on a reserve, but just didn't.

Currently one bid at £10.00, & "reserve not met". I wonder what price the reserve could possibly be?? :scratchhead::dontknow: :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2019 at 07:29, F-UnitMad said:

Interesting 2nd comment the Seller has added to the listing, which now does have a reserve...

Bold added - although he claims in the 2nd message to be new to ebay, a quick & simple look at his details shows he joined on 21st Sept 2016 - long enough to get aquainted with ebay rules, which I reckon he knew all along by reason of the part of his 1st comment I've highlighted in bold, inferring he knows how to put on a reserve, but just didn't.

Currently one bid at £10.00, & "reserve not met". I wonder what price the reserve could possibly be?? :scratchhead::dontknow: :sarcastichand:

The 45 quid he originally  got wasn't bad money for one of those! Plus I note that the cab side windows are all over the place.

They're certainly not upto Genesis, Atlas or even Athearn RTR  IMO.

He clearly has some issues with expectation and reality.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a similar experience a few months back, used the make an offer feature on an auction, it was accepted and I paid.

A day or so later I received a messaged from the seller to say it had been damaged beyond repair (fell down the stairs with it!) and my payment was refunded.  Fair enough.

Looking on eBay later that day, I saw the same thing newly listed, same seller, same photo, same text, this time as a buy it now, with a higher price than what I had originally paid!  I messaged the buyer to point out that it was quite crap what they had done and I was told to "**** ***" or I would get "reported to the police for harassment"!

The item is still listed, for the same high buy it now price!

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gary H said:

Looks like it may the TRIX (later Lilliput) offering

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Now then, looking at that "fine" specimen, those strange looking bogie side frames ring a loud bell. I remember seeing these for sale in the 80's! 

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

I've had a similar experience a few months back, used the make an offer feature on an auction, it was accepted and I paid.

A day or so later I received a messaged from the seller to say it had been damaged beyond repair (fell down the stairs with it!) and my payment was refunded.  Fair enough.

Looking on eBay later that day, I saw the same thing newly listed, same seller, same photo, same text, this time as a buy it now, with a higher price than what I had originally paid!  I messaged the buyer to point out that it was quite crap what they had done and I was told to "**** ***" or I would get "reported to the police for harassment"!

The item is still listed, for the same high buy it now price!

Report the deal and messages to ebay. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, MM1991 said:

I did, but no action was taken!

Not necessarily. I was let down by a seller a couple of years ago when, as arranged, I went to collect some furniture and found them not at home. I complained to Ebay who said that they had taken action against the seller but were not at liberty to reveal what it was.

Robert

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Hence why I have virtually stopped using eBay now, I certainly don't sell on it anymore as no protection for sellers as eBay always finds in favour of a buyer. And the costs certainly eat into any monies made.

Except when the seller "does the dirty" and refuses to honour a bid, as has been mentioned above.

All ebay want is income, with the least amount of aggro.  It seems they're not into suspending or banning users anymore, unless absolutely necessary.  It affects their profits, which is all they care about.

• Agree 3

Thankfully as both a buyer and a seller I find those who I deal with a very honorable group, I was going to say (wrongly) I deal with modellers but then a few of the dealers  I use are not necessarily modellers. The main issues I have seen reported tend to be with RTR products and perhaps the high value  (or perceived to be) end. Certainly with some parts of society their own set of standards seem to be very self centred, having little regard for others, wanting everything their own way

Looking at this seller and what's been written, I get the impression its a younger person who has an inflated view of the true value of their item, and by the way they decided not to honour the sale. No doubt they will learn a few painfull lessons in the coming years

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Item just ended at £28.00, "Reserve not Met" - surprise surprise, and a rather lower ending bid than he got the first time!!! :rolleyes: :mosking:

We need a "Prat" smiley face.  This'll do in the meantime:-   :taunt:

It "sold" for about £41 first time around, then £42. Maybe the bidder needs a reality check

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Item just ended at £28.00, "Reserve not Met" - surprise surprise, and a rather lower ending bid than he got the first time!!! :rolleyes: :mosking:

We need a "Prat" smiley face.  This'll do in the meantime:-   :taunt:

An item is worth only what someone else is willing to pay, the note in the description would have put buyers off leading to less bids. Will the seller learn his lesson ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2019 at 10:03, njee20 said:

Mildly related anecdote... I recently broke an item whilst packing it (easily repairable, but would take me a week or so to get the spares and do it), so I apologised to the buyer, cancelled the sale, repaired it and have now re-listed it. I imagine some are rolling their eyes thinking I didn't get enough first time or something, but these things can be legitimate.

Why did you have to cancel the sale? A message to the buyer to say you'd broken it while packing, would fix it FOC and ship it as soon as it was fixed? :rolleyes:

• Agree 1