Lima 33/1

RobMG

I have just bought a Lima 33/1 off ebay, and want to detail it.  I have read that someone in the past did some etches to improve the roof panels. Does anyone know if these are still available, and if so where from.  Otherwise I need some decent photos of the roof in order to make new panels. 

The SVR is only 8 miles away from home so I can get pictures of their 33.  I took a load of photos a week or so back, but couldn't get any roof pics, but I am sure I can at some stage...  If however anyone has any good pics they can post , I would be eternally grateful, or something like that :rolleyes:

Rob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RobMG said:

I have just bought a Lima 33/1 off ebay, and want to detail it.  I have read that someone in the past did some etches to improve the roof panels. Does anyone know if these are still available, and if so where from.  Otherwise I need some decent photos of the roof in order to make new panels. 

The SVR is only 8 miles away from home so I can get pictures of their 33.  I took a load of photos a week or so back, but couldn't get any roof pics, but I am sure I can at some stage...  If however anyone has any good pics they can post , I would be eternally grateful, or something like that :rolleyes:

Rob

A1 models do the roof panels, check on eBay as they have a shop selling their etches.

Thank you for your reply, I have checked and found them , but they have no stock. I have managed to get a grill and fan but nothing else.  

I have now decided to leave the roof as is and respray it in early green livery. Of course I will remove the pull push hoses ,and fill in the cut away at bottom of the cab front.  

I am fed up with searching for the parts!

Rob

I found it Listed on ebay. It did have all those parts including the grill and fan, but alas there is no stock. 

I can make parts such as the buffer beam detail, but I just cant be bothered with making the other roof detail . 

I am sort of happy with it being the earlier version, except I was hoping to have a model of the type I remember best, and that I had a really brilliant cab ride in.  Never mind what will be will be. Maybe at some stage I will  find the kit, I bet someone has one lurking somewhere.  If so I will find another 33 and modify it.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

A picture of my very old detailing of a Lima 33/1. Note this was based on Lima's 33/1, and not a 'conversion' of a 33/0 to a 33/1:

P1002084a.JPG.7df7ef4118b4dac11e6d05e901d58898.JPG

This is perhaps the most important of my Lima detailings, and perhaps my most precious. It represents my best detailing and weathering effort to date. Despite the introduction of the far superior Heljan model I hold this to be my favourite model from that period in my life just because of its emotional memory for me.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It looks pretty good to me Ian, I can't quite make out if you have fitted flush glazing or painted the openings black. Whatever it looks  right. 

Any surplus bits you want to pass on, let me know how much you want for them, and I will gladly pay...

I have fond memories of these locos too. They were a favourite of mine at the time.  I worked for BR for a year and a half at Reading diesel depot.  71/72   The Cromptons often came in off the Southern for refueling or small repairs.  I think everyone liked them. 

I know there are better models now, but I think the Lima can be made to look very acceptable..

Rob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I used the vacuum moulded flush glazing from South Eastern Finecast, and painted the inside of the windows black to reduce the look of the depth of Lima's plastic. Also, all hand rails were replaced with wire, which necessitated a complete repaint of the model. At the time I had to do that with a brush as I didn't have an airbrush (and though I have one now I still don't have a suitable place to use it still :umbrage:).

Send me a PM with an address and I'll post out a couple of the roof fan grills (as on next to my model in the picture), no cost. I don't have any other parts that I can positively identify as belonging to 33/1s unfortunately.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The body is coming along well now,  and my thoughts have now turned to wheels.  I want to get rid of the traction tyred wheels and replace with plain ones.  Of course the wheels with the tyres are the ones with the gears. How best to deal with those ,  I could look for some more Lima plain wheels, but are the gears re usable, or what ?  If there is any turning to do I have a lathe.

Rob

• 2 months later...