Wagon kit builds - Mcgeordie Palbrick Wagon

brossard

The wagon is pretty much done as far as construction goes:

P1010015.JPG.8235d1747c0ecafe59896849e2facca2.JPG

I added the brake levers a couple of days ago and the wheel retainers/tie bar today.

There is a builders plate and label clip.

P1010016.JPG.65937935b9c6c4dceee98b7c3eb5bec6.JPG

Note the Slaters vac pipe and vac pipe coupling holder.  Note also the lamp bracket.  The four posts are for storing the wagon side when loading/unloading.

Another feature is the tarpaulin cleats.  After having one ping away to the nether regions of my workshop (there are a couple of spares), I ended up folding the cleats into a U using fine needle nosed pliers and holding with tweezers.  I was able to solder them on and made the final bends afterwards.  I used a knife blade to set the distance.

P1010017.JPG.e52eefe8043c85f013c2ffdd00de944e.JPG

Handwheels for clamping the brick load securely.

P1010018.JPG.847837faf6fcd124d150e2730cdd0004.JPG

Morton side.

Next up is painting, after which I will add couplings, buffers and the vac hoses.

John

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

Wagon painted (quite difficult since there are nooks and crannies that are hard to get to).  I bought a Fox transfer sheet containing "PALBRICK" but the letters are far too big to fit on the angle at the end of the wagon.  Anyone know of a better source?  I checked RailTech but didn't see anything for PALBRICK.  Not surprising really since this wagon isn't commonly modelled.  I may just have to leave the lettering at load rating and number.

It doesn't make sense to me that the lettering would be on the side panels.  These lift out and I can imagine them being swapped as time went on.

John

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brossard said:

Thanks Ian.  Sheet BL56 for those who are interested.  However, 25.50 is a lot for just the two words I need.  I have the rest of the lettering.

John

When I had a similar issue, it was suggested (by John Isherwood himself I think!) that I buy the necessary sheet, use the required item and then sell the remainder...

• 3 weeks later...

Wagon is now done:

P1010012.JPG.a80fe15b7e2fd47cbbd2db5e7c96c716.JPG

P1010013-001.JPG.30488cf3eacd43752ad1bf70bdcb1bd5.JPG

These cruel closeups show how my lettering is a bit wonky.  I used 4mm LMS numerals and 4mm PALBRICK.  Even so, these were a tight and awkward fit.  I really don't like Pressfix because you don't have any chance to correct things once they are on.

However, in actual size, I think you can't tell when riding past on a bike.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brossard said:

I really don't like Pressfix because you don't have any chance to correct things once they are on.

If you place them roughly without pressing, wet the back so it goes clear, you have a few seconds to adjust and press home. I've floated them around as if waterslide and sealed them with varnish before now as well.

They aren't easy though - i try to cut them out with the bottom straight to use as a guide but that's not getting any easier as my eyes get older!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brossard said:

More picture reinstating.  A lot of threads seem to have been denuded of their photos after the last upgrade.

John

Hi John

It wasnt an upgrade - the whole thing crashed and they had to completely change host. Pictures are/were gradually being reinstated up to the last back up they had but it's a real shame as so much useful info isnt there now.

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi John

It wasnt an upgrade - the whole thing crashed and they had to completely change host. Pictures are/were gradually being reinstated up to the last back up they had but it's a real shame as so much useful info isnt there now.

I stand corrected.  Probably worth it for others to check their threads and repair them if necessary.  Yes, loss of valuable info is cause for grief.

John