8 pin Bachmann chip

Steampowered

• RMweb Gold

Facetious reply: yes, you could fit one but I’m not sure where and it wouldn’t do anything.

Less facetious reply:  some decoders are specified as sound decoders, having on board memory with recorded sounds to be replayed through a speaker. Others are non-sound decoders which only have motor and ‘lighting’ outputs.   Sound decoders tend to be quite a bit more expensive. You need to ascertain what type of decoder you have. If it is a sound decoder there would be a speaker attached or specific pads ( see manual) to which you would solder the speaker.  I’m not sure if Bachman produce  any sound decoders but I am not up to date with their catalogue.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BoD said:

Facetious reply: yes, you could fit one but I’m not sure where and it wouldn’t do anything.

Less facetious reply:  some decoders are specified as sound decoders, 

Agree with BoD but would add - a lot of Bachmann electronics are re-badged ESU products. ESU are famous for their LokSound decoders and have been factory fitted on some Bachmann locos.

Its possible you have a sound chip from them and the best source of information is via the Bachmann service knowledge base. http://service.Bachmann.co.uk/knowledge-base/decoders-dcc/

If you want to share a bit more detail about the decoder you have, more help may be available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1