Rectangular buffers 7 mm x 4 mm

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if someone could tell me where I could look for some buffers with rectangular heads measuring 7 x 4 mm. Just the heads would be fine, or if they were complete then around 7.5 mm deep front to back.

The size is important (within 0.5 mm or so) but the construction and the material they are made from is not.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, JeffP said:

Try Markits

A nice suggestion but I suspect even Markits don't know what they make - their web site tells us "Link to dowload old catalogue have been removed until we can publish the new catalogue".

Only round and oval buffers in their 2013 catalogue.

I'm thinking along the lines of spare parts for something RTR but I have no idea what the source model would be.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

Perhaps the heads could be filed down from larger, round heads in metal? Buffer heads in fine plastic or resin tend to be fragile and prints of that size in tough plastic don't look good.

58 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/ might do something. Another possibility would be to get some round buffers of about the right size and cut out some thin brass sheet to form the heads.

Guys you have given me an idea.

Electrotren modern wagon buffer heads are 6 mm (max) x 4 mm. I could try putting some thin styrene rectangles on top of these, there will be minimal overhang and I might even replicate the curved faces.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I just 3D printed a few of them (different style). I can always edit and upload them to my Shapeways shop if you want. If you send a few pics I can make them as accurate as possible too.

Cheers!

This is a kind offer and I have found your buffers on Shapeways. Unfortunately Shapeways need a whopping £15.66 to send them to the UK, and really this too much for me, at least at the moment. Let me try and make something, I'll report back.

- Richard.

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

Guys you have given me an idea.

Electrotren modern wagon buffer heads are 6 mm (max) x 4 mm. I could try putting some thin styrene rectangles on top of these, there will be minimal overhang and I might even replicate the curved faces.

- Richard.

Rectangular and oval buffer-heads on the prototype are made like this, I believe.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

Try Invertrains.

Paul

I have a feeling any 0 gauge buffer would be a bit big, but thanks for the link.

-Richard.

• RMweb Premium

I have had a go at making some buffers with styrene patches on Electrotren heads, and styrene backs and buffer beams:

DSCF9941.jpg.aec0dd1925b4d2804b920dccbad7c9a8.jpg

All I can do now is wait and see how well they survive on the layout. I use NEM couplers and the buffers should never touch those on another model.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

- Richard.

On 29/11/2019 at 16:06, 47137 said:

This is a kind offer and I have found your buffers on Shapeways. Unfortunately Shapeways need a whopping £15.66 to send them to the UK, and really this too much for me, at least at the moment. Let me try and make something, I'll report back.

- Richard.

There's always alternatives apart from Shapeways :) and cheaper ones mind you.

Cheers!