Longfield Model Railway Exhibition - 25th & 26th January 2020

Invicta Informant

The Erith Model Railway Society's annual January show, one of South East England's largest shows (and probably Kent's largest by stand numbers), will return to The Longfield Academy for our 5th show there.

Venue address: The Longfield Academy, Main Road (B260), Longfield, Kent, DA3 7PH.

Opening Times: Saturday 25th January 2020 - 10:00am to 5:00pm & Sunday 26th January 2020 - 10:00am to 4:00pm.

Entry Prices: Adults - £9.00. Accompanied Children - £1.00

Entry price includes free exhibition guide.

The show will encompass at least 30 layouts, extensive trade and society support, demonstrators (including the club's Foxley Service Centre - Loco Diagnostics & Cleaning Service), static exhibits & charity raffle (in aid of the Association of Bexley Charities '78), making over 90 stands in total.

The venue can be reached by Longfield railway station (5-10 minute walk away), Arriva bus services 423 (from Dartford and Bluewater), 433 (from Bluewater, Sunday only) and 489 (from Gravesend), and Go-Coach bus services 474 and 475 (both from Bluewater). The buses stop within a 5-10 minute walk from the venue. Some services may stop at Longfield Academy itself, but ask the driver for the nearest stop to the venue. There are no Sunday services for the 423, 474 and 475 routes.

There is a sizeable free on-site car park, full disabled access (including toilets), a large refreshment area (300+ seats) and an extensive range of hot and cold food and drinks at reasonable prices. There is some off-site parking available at a day nursery in Brickfield Farm just up the road from the venue (5 minute walk away), should we run out (and we usually do) of on-site parking.

The Erith Model Railway Society will be selling remaining stocks of Bachmann limited edition wagons commissioned by the club:

8 Ton Shepherd Neame & Co. Ventilated Van (Weathered). Ref. 38-375U. Price: £10.00.

14 Ton Paper Makers Chemicals Ltd. Tank Wagon. Ref. 37-650R. Price: £10.00.

Please check our website for further details (list of layouts and traders attending, directions etc.).

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/erithmrs/exhibit_january.html

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

The locations of the 102 exhibits have been finalised more or less.

The only change from the last exhibition in January 2019 is that the names for the six zones on the map in this post have been changed to colours.

The Main Corridor (Zone 1) is Blue.

The Theatre (Zone 2) is Red.

The Sports Hall (Zone 3) is Green.

Anderson College (Zone 4) is Brown.

Matisse College (Zone 5) is Orange.

Galileo College (Zone 6) is Purple.

There is also a Access Statement that is available to read and/or download.

Longfield Academy Map.jpg

Access Statement for the EMRS Longfield Show.docx

On 29/11/2019 at 15:32, Joseph_Pestell said:

Looks very good. And I may find myself in Kent around then.

The S4 Blackfriars Bridge layout looks very interesting.

Blackfriars Bridge, Stand No. 83, will be in Zone 4/Anderson College/Brown.

Edited by Invicta Informant

• 3 weeks later...

Both Invicta Model Rail (Stand No. 26 in Zone 2/Theatre/Red) and Ray Morris (Stand No. 55 in Zone 3/Sports Hall/Green) have withdrawn from the show.

At this late stage, it is unlikely that either will be replaced.

But on a more positive note, we are pleased to announced that there will be a FREE Shuttle Bus service running between Longfield Railway Station and The Longfield Academy on BOTH days of the show.

This service will commerce at 9:00am from Longfield Railway Station on both days and will run every 30 minutes (subject to traffic, etc.) until 5:00pm on Saturday and 4:15pm on Sunday.

So if you cannot get parked at the venue or the day nursery in Brickfield Farm (5 minute walk away), you can park at Longfield Railway Station Car Park (pay-and-display, £2.80 all day on Saturday and £1.00 all day on Sunday) and catch the shuttle bus to the venue.

• 2 weeks later...

Following more details I have got from the Exhibition Manager, the Shuttle Bus will be a mini-bus.

Also there will be extra car parking marshals from the local scouts group helping me, the Secretary and anyone else from the club on duties there.

• Like 1

With the exhibition now just over a week away, Paul the Exhibition Manager has informed the members that there will no football on the weekend of the show, which one less thing for the car parking marshals to worry about.

The only thing happening at the venue is the Pauline Quirke Academy meeting on Saturday morning until lunchtime, but they will be mostly drop offs and pick ups.

The Shuttle Bus running between Longfield Station and the venue is provided by Centaur Coaches and will feature their branding.

Here is the complete list of exhibitors due to attend the exhibition:

Layouts:

Aldermouth - OO

Alte Furka - HO

Amberton Vale - N

Ashbury - O

Ashenden Junction - N

Blackfriars Bridge - P4

Cato Pass - OO

Coleford - OO9

Dubmill Sidings- O

Fleet Lane - OO

Gallows Close Scarborough - N

High Peak - OO

Hinksey Yard - N

Hobbs Warren - O

Jake's Yard - OO

Journey's End - OO9

Kings Stag - N

Köln Draußen - HO

Kuchen - TT

Leonard - N

Market Hill, Maldon - OO

Minnie Bridge - OO

Newchapel Junction - O

N E Where - N

Nibley Knoll - OO9

Ousewell St. Jude - EM

Quarry Falls - N

Ruffles Road - OO

Salinas Valley - HO

Scratchwood - N

Slades Green - OO

Snowy River Rail Road - On30

Strathmore - OO

The Yard - O/O-16.5

Trams To The Park - O

Upper & Lower Crofton - G

Upton Lacey - N

Wilmington - OO

Wren's Wood - OO9

Other Exhibitors & Displays:

A Load of Balls

Charity Raffle (in aid of the Association of Bexley Charities '78)

Double O Gauge Association

EMRS Annual Model Making Competition Entries

Foxley Service Centre (Loco Diagnostic & Cleaning Service)

Gauge 1 Wagon Building Demonstration

Gravesend Model Marine & Engineering Society

Model Railway Express Magazine.com

Orchards (Junior) Scale Model Club Display

Steve's Model Building Services

Traders:

3mm Scale Model Railways

All Wheels

Andy Lynch Railways

Carriage & Wagon Models

Coastal DCC

Colin Penn

D&E Videos/DC Kits/LegomanbiffoDDC

David Wills

Doug's Model Trains & Tools

Elizkeith Models

Euroscale Models

Falconwood Transport & Military Bookshop

GB Models.com

Harrison-Brown Models

Heritage In Motion

JB Photocards

Joe Lock Model Railways

Layouts4U

Kent Garden Railways

Michael Land

Models U Drive

Model Scenery Supplies

North Road Trains

Online Models

Plus Daughters

Power Bond Adhesives

Rail Books

Railway Memories

Roxley Models

Severn Models

Simply Southern

Sphere Products

Sudbury Model Railways

Supercast

The Wagon Yard

Wheels Of Southsea

WM Collectables

Society Stands:

4-SUB Association

British 1:87 Scale Society

Charity Transport Models & Books

Class 47 Preservation Project

EMRS Information Desk

EMRS Members Sales Stand

EMRS Limited Edition Wagons Sales Stand

EPB Preservation Group

Gravesend Railway Enthusiasts Society

Network SouthEast Society

Railfuture

Southern Electric Group

South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society

Spa Valley Railway

We have had a pretty successful day today.

We are ever so slightly up on visitor numbers from Saturday last year.

The Shuttle Bus running between the venue and Longfield station has been especially useful to a number of people.

Plus the Scouts helping us in the car parking is much welcomed and appreciated by the regular marshals (me and Clive the Secretary).

Even Jools Holland paid us a visit, to my understanding (I believed I showed him where to park just like any other visitor).

We shall see what happens tomorrow.

We have had a pretty successful weekend.

Thank you very much to everyone who attended.

Many visitors have commented about the very good quality of the layouts in attendance.

Ambleton Vale by Ray & Anna Taylor won the Bill Murphy Memorial Shield for Best in Show (as voted for by the Erith MRS Members).

Cato Pass by Laurie Calvert won the John Muskett Memorial Shield for People's Choice (as voted for the visitors).

Next year's Erith MRS January Show will take place on 30th & 31st January 2021.

I would upload more photos, but because of the file size of my and my brother's photos and not being a 'Gold' RMWeb member, I am restricted to 10MB per post.

DSC03300.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a cameo scene on the club's OO gauge LT layout Fleet Lane.

Thanks to Mangley Town and to TheMooseOnMars for uploading their footage of the show on YouTube.

Also Laurie Calvert (channel name: Calvertfilm) has done a short video too.

Checking YouTube for films of previous Erith MRS exhibitions, I find it amazing that SP Rail's footage of our 2015 exhibition (the last one we did at the The Bexley Business Academy near Abbey Wood), has amassed over 142,000 views and it is the second most viewed video on his channel.

DSC_0371.JPG

• Like 1

Very enjoyable show. Went on the Sunday, and whilst busy there always seemed to be room to view the layouts.

Fleet Lane caught my eye and the level of detailing on the buildings was very impressive.

(Even down to the child's ride on machine in Woolworths!)

• Thanks 1

I was there all weekend with Salinas Valley (sometimes Salinas Bridge, bit of a story there!). Anyway the point of this is that I and my colleague had an excellent weekend. We were looked after properly and thought that the show was first class. Heartiest congratulations to all concerned, it's very hard work for the host club but all the visitors seemed well pleased

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mopar said:

Very enjoyable show. Went on the Sunday, and whilst busy there always seemed to be room to view the layouts.

Fleet Lane caught my eye and the level of detailing on the buildings was very impressive.

(Even down to the child's ride on machine in Woolworths!)

The Woolworth's was done by Steve Fryer who has done an truly excellent job.

With the Embassy Cinema, as pictured here, he has even modelled the foyer area which you can just make out.

DSC03394.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnb said:

I was there all weekend with Salinas Valley (sometimes Salinas Bridge, bit of a story there!). Anyway the point of this is that I and my colleague had an excellent weekend. We were looked after properly and thought that the show was first class. Heartiest congratulations to all concerned, it's very hard work for the host club but all the visitors seemed well pleased

It is definitely hard work across the three days. I worked as a car park marshal on Saturday and Sunday and general dog's body for setting up and breaking down on Friday afternoon/evening and Sunday afternoon/evening respectively.

To give you an idea of the hours I put in, I was at the venue on Friday from about 2:30pm till gone 8:00pm, Saturday from about 7:45am till just after 5:10pm, and Sunday from about 9:00am till 6:00pm.

Here is a photo of Salinas Valley.

DSC03413.JPG

• Like 1