Converting a Bachmann 2EPB to Class 504

philsandy

DC Kits are the only ones I know of who produced anything like the 504 cabs. I had a quick look at No Nonsense Kits, but they only seem to have SR SUB and EPB types.

You may have to scratchbuild the cabs, unless Charlie at DC Kits can unearth any left over parts in his stocks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have done my own cabs for my 308, 305 and 304. The photos are of the 304.

If you follow on from this link I show how I make them, remember this is only one alternative way of achieving the end result.

100_4616a.jpg.b8602f0c82e3e8208b6a6971f02d2910.jpg

100_4619a.jpg.e8092caeaec2fe2c2f97934b4be59b7b.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Half way there.

Converted the motor unit, going to take a break before starting on the trailer unit.

The cab front windows needed a slight mod, the top of the window should be parallel with the bottom edge, and they should be slightly wider than they are high, ie. rectangular and not square.

I used the original Bachmann roof  to utilise the clips that hold it to the body. Removed all the roof detail, chopped off the front 15mm and stuck the front (15 mm) of the DC Kits roof on. I also modified the destination window on the DC kits roof to make it slightly bigger, and added a white LED to the destination window and red LED tail lights.

Photo1456.jpg

Photo1457.jpg

Photo1464.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Aren't those roof vents spaced for the compartments in the trailer car?

David, no, the trailer car has 6 vents along one side and 7 along the other (drivers side), the motor car has 4 along one side and 5 along the drivers side.

ad4983df1c95e3dc1a77ef4f55c08370.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Jumped to a conclusion, you are correct should have looked more closely.  However a photo I have of the tralier car shows the large gap on the Bury end RHS of the trailer has a vent in it so 7 and 7.  Maybe it leaked and was plated over after the compartments were removed.

21 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Jumped to a conclusion, you are correct should have looked more closely.  However a photo I have of the tralier car shows the large gap on the Bury end RHS of the trailer has a vent in it so 7 and 7.  Maybe it leaked and was plated over after the compartments were removed.

Yes David you're right, the trailer is 7 and 7 vents. In the photo above the trailer does have a vent missing. Probably as you say plated over if it was leaking.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, philsandy said:

Finally finished the trailer car. I also added a third rail to the layout.

SAM_5394 (3).JPG.png

SAM_54022.JPG.png

Hi

The model looks great, well done. The addition of the third rail really helps set the scene, as does the point roding.

Did the Bury sets have a BR emblem on the non powered cars? I am only asking as the general rule was the emblem was applied to power cars. This wasn't always adhered to as AM4s in green appear to have the emblem on all four coaches. I am just wondering if it was a Wolverton interpretation on the rules. 

Or did Wolverton have a huge stash of BR emblems as the LMR hauled coaches seem to have a much higher proportion of the emblem on their coaches than the other regions? :dontknow:

I'm wondering if these were repaired at Wolverton? As a schoolboy in the '60's I went past Horwich Works most days, you could see into the yard from the top deck of a Bolton Corporation bus, and I'm sure they did some work on these as well.

In steam days Horwich was one of these places that used up old transfers for years, and I suspect that Clive's theory is correct whichever Works was involved.

john.

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

The model looks great, well done. The addition of the third rail really helps set the scene, as does the point roding.

Did the Bury sets have a BR emblem on the non powered cars? I am only asking as the general rule was the emblem was applied to power cars. This wasn't always adhered to as AM4s in green appear to have the emblem on all four coaches. I am just wondering if it was a Wolverton interpretation on the rules. 

Or did Wolverton have a huge stash of BR emblems as the LMR hauled coaches seem to have a much higher proportion of the emblem on their coaches than the other regions? :dontknow:

Thanks Clive.

Re. the BR emblem on the trailer units, the photos in the 2 books I have show both units carrying the emblem, circa 1959 when they were brand new. Photos taken later on from around 1963 they are missing on the trailer units.

Would they have had a repaint after only 4 years and the emblem was not applied?

Edited by philsandy

17 hours ago, philsandy said:

Finally finished the trailer car. I also added a third rail to the layout.

That's really good, a very neat conversion that looks right; and with the atmos of the setting, strong impression of my first visit to Manchester. Just needs a great cloud of smoke (released by some industry) to blow along the platform...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, philsandy said:

Thanks Clive.

Re. the BR emblem on the trailer units, the photos in the 2 books I have show both units carrying the emblem, circa 1959 when they were brand new. Photos taken later on from around 1963 they are missing on the trailer units.

Would they have had a repaint after only 4 years and the emblem was not applied?

Hi Phil

I don't know, but I am sure most would have had minor repairs in that time period and while doing so their paint work touched up. Didn't they go to Horwich for repairs? Perhaps the paint shop foreman noticed they didn't fit the rules so had them removed or painted over? I don't think we will ever know but it is fun to speculate. The most important thing is your lovely model is right. :good:

• Thanks 1