LIMA CLASS 31

RBC

I've picked up a nice Lima Class 31 (Railfreight Coal) and going to have a first bash at detailing.

Was contemplating pipes etc at one end therefore cutting off the chunky coupling.

At the other end I would like to replace the coupling with an NEM style one.

I was thinking of sourcing a Hornby Railroad non powered bogie frame with NEM coupling.

Am I right in saying the Railroad version is basically the old Lima version, if so would this be a straight bogie swop ???

Thanks 

Edited by RBC

7 minutes ago, RBC said:

I've picked up a nice Lima Class 31 (Railfreight Coal) and going to have a first bash at detailing.

Was contemplating pipes etc at one end therefore cutting off the chunky coupling.

At the other end I would like to replace the coupling with an NEM style one.

I spotted on a particular auction site a Hornby Railroad non powered bogie frame with NEM coupling.

Am I right in saying the Railroad version is basically the old Lima version, if so would this be a straight bogie swop ???

Thanks 

I think the trailing bogie may be a straight swap but im pretty sure the RR power bogies are differently mounted, im sure someone will be along with the answer soon. Im after a RR 31 myself to re engine my silver fox falcon so will be interested to see the mountings etc.

Cheers

James

• Agree 1

I think I've just answered my own question.

Managed to track down some pictures of the Lima and Railroad NON power bogies (via service sheet) and they are different.

The Lima one has the brass metal retaining pin that goes through the chassis frame and secured by a clip, this also acts as a pick up ??

The Railroad bogie has a split plastic affair that looks like it locks into the chassis frame when pushed into postion.

Interesting to find out whether the power bogie frames are a straight swop, can't see any pics on web at the moment.

Edited by RBC

I believe you can use the Hornby trailing bogie with only a slight modification to the chassis hole. The motor bogies are quite different and need a frame attached to the chassis to mount them.

I opted to buy a cheap RailRoad locomotive and clip the detailed Lima body straight on to the Hornby chassis. I sold the remaining Hornby body on Lima chassis.