Hornby Financial Update.

Widnes Model Centre

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, truffy said:

Seemed more aimed at those in the know rather than informing others about what to do and what to expect. 

That was there, couldn't have made it much plainer but the social banter is very much part of the real event and it was for the charities too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, truffy said:

TBH when I first looked in the original thread, it was just a load of cobblers about pasties, cakes, and invites. Seemed more aimed at those in the know rather than informing others about what to do and what to expect. 

As it turned out, the weather here was less conducive to sitting in front of the computer, and better suited to bring outside cycling and barbecuing. FTW. 

The threads are still there, if you feel like browsing instead of cycling. :)

The event was a great success, almost as good the real event.  The amount raised for the NHS was staggering, (even though I didn't win raffle prize).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

That was there, couldn't have made it much plainer but the social banter is very much part of the real event and it was for the charities too.

I don't doubt, for a single moment, that there were nuggets amongst the chaff; depends on how much sifting you want to do, I guess. But some of us me tend to skip 'social banter' that makes no sense, and I guess that that could result in also skipping useful information.

Glad everyone had a good time though. And I got 30k and BBQ steak under my belt.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the near 3000 locos sold of the class 66 GBRF NHS loco have done wonders for the Hornby bottom line. 

Other than a new livery, it should have been fairly cheap to produce and will get them great Qudos at donating a potential £120,000 to the NHS charity.

More power to their elbow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I suspect the near 3000 locos sold of the class 66 GBRF NHS loco have done wonders for the Hornby bottom line. 

Maybe on passive sales, publicity & accountancy but I doubt the model is in it’s own right.

£74.99

(£12.50 VAT)

(£40.00 donation)
leaves £22.49.. then theres postage to your address.

give Hornby there due kudos and commendations on this one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe on passive sales, publicity & accountancy but I doubt the model is in it’s own right.

£74.99

(£12.50 VAT)

(£40.00 donation)
leaves £22.49.. then theres postage to your address.

give Hornby there due kudos and commendations on this one.

Plus freight from China, cost of sale ( Hornby staff, warehousing, packing )

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Nobby (John) said:

Plus freight from China, cost of sale ( Hornby staff, warehousing, packing )

It's still £22 x 3000 they were not initially counting on. Who could have known Colonel Tom Moore would have captured the heart of a nation in the way he did.

It's still £67k they were not banking on their bottom line - even if its only £50k after other expenses.

4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It's still £22 x 3000 they were not initially counting on. Who could have known Colonel Tom Moore would have captured the heart of a nation in the way he did.

It's still £67k they were not banking on their bottom line - even if its only £50k after other expenses.

If I was being cynical,its not the 3000 sales directly, but the other items people may purchase when they’re already on the site. Plus the positive publicity.

All the same, great idea and great to raise so much so quickly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

No its not!

How exactly are Hornby going to get the loco made if they don't pay the factory anything!

That £22.49 left over after VAT and the donation has to pay for:-

(i) Materials to make the model

(ii) The factories to actually put the model together

(iii) Packaging materials

(iv) Transport from the Factory to the docks

(v) Shipping from China to the UK

(vi) Transport from the docks at the UK

(vii)  Staff to distribute the models from Hornby

(vii) Postage to the customer

As such I actually predict Hornby won't make ANY money on this model - the profit they would have made under normal circumstances is most likely the £40 which they are donating to Charity.

In fact due to the volume that will now be produced which was not in the 2020 plan (3000 versus the 500 Hornby initially announced) its quite possible that Hornbys income will be lower than planned as other products are delayed to make room - not grater.

• Agree 5