The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

In all honesty, the old V2 couldn’t be anything but a V2. It just isn’t as good a model as this promises to be. For a start, the area where the firebox joins the boiler barrel looks a lot better. I’m looking forward to this model and I’m confident that Bachmann will do a good job. I know I’m completely at odds with O. S. Nock but to my mind, the V2 is the most elegant locomotive ever built – leading the Jubilee by a smokebox length. Retooling rather than putting a new chassis under the old tooling was a good decision by Bachmann.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Francis deWeck said:

This looks a very nice model. I have been waiting for this for sometime, being a fan of the V2. Is there any indication as to how the trailing bogie is designed and functions?

Good question. I had a slight panic as the trailing wheels seemed to be flangeless (surely not, from Bachmann) but all seem to be present and correct. Interestingly, the trailing truck seems to have deeper moulding that the trucks on the Pacifics.

• Like 1

Correctly parallel front ring to the boiler, sharply defined authentic cab features and surprisingly enough for Bachmann the features on the Cartazzi unit appear to be proper deep mouldings rather than shallow features on frames set wider apart than scale. Lots of other nice new details too.

New valve gear even?

That may save me having to either re-make my mould for resin bodies or keep issuing apologies for the fact that I cannot supply any.

When?

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

This seems to have stirred little interest, to my surprise.  Any thoughts? ...

Couldn't go to Warley to see it, but very much interested. 'When?' is indeed the question. Since it looks well, sitting in patient hope is all that is required... And, hopefully I will still be in funds when Bachman choose to launch it!

Being both shorter and more flexible than the pacifics with only a pony truck at the front has presumably enabled the better job on the Cartazzi truck frames; and I find this a very encouraging sign as it implies a significant rework of the mechanism, which in its first wiper pick up incarnation was short on both weight for traction and maximum speed. (With any luck it will be easy to couple on a four axle tender which just adds that little extra to the overwhelming elegance, and which the crews going out on long fast turns would have appreciated for the extra water and coal reserve.)

• Agree 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Couldn't go to Warley to see it, but very much interested. 'When?' is indeed the question. Since it looks well, sitting in patient hope is all that is required... And, hopefully I will still be in funds when Bachman choose to launch it!

A reasonable estimate would be to say 12-18 months from now.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

12 to 18 months would be good and half the timescale quoted to me fairly recently by one retailer who was, I suspect, starting to despair of Bachmann's estimates.  Here's hoping they're starting to get on top of things.  I have had one of these on order for a while now and the photos in Dr G-F's post look good.

Edited by teaky

I'm somewhat miffed that 4771 has not been announced in this first release. It will sell by the bucketload.

So for those of us wanting Green Arrow 12-18 months, plus at least another 12-18 months to announced and release a second batch...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, truffy said:

That would be 12-18 Bachmann months :jester:

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

Judging From previous Bachmann releases, the time between seeing the first EP to the models hitting the shelves, I would think 12-18 months is extremely optimistic.

To be fair to Andy, the model looks to be at a similar stage of development to the Ransome and Rapier crane when it was displayed at Warley 12 months ago.  The crane is scheduled for release within the next month...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm somewhat miffed that 4771 has not been announced in this first release. It will sell by the bucketload.

Can pretty much guarantee Green Arrow will be a Locomotion Models release. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

On revisiting this thread, I see that one of the V2 samples has lamps on two of the front lamp irons.

I think I've seen sample pictures of the new J72 with lamps on?

Anyway this V2 looks to be streets ahead of the existing one.  Good to see that the valve gear appears owe nothing to the split frame  model, unlike the mechanism of the more recent version.  This is just a sample I know, but hopefully the smokebox front will fit better on the finished item!

I am really looking forward to the V2 and I'm so happy that Bachmann have been moving forward with this quietly.

It's a big gap in a LNER modellers' line up. I think they are the most beautiful of all of Gresley's designs.

Edited by mckinneyc
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

It’s very much got the correct sit and impression of weight and substance I associate with this most elegant and well-proportioned design.

I’m glad there’s a bit of time still before release; I’ve got a stack of NBLs and a Deltic to see to first!

• Like 1

I like the V2 also, have been trying to find sensibly priced s/h Bachmanns (I like a challenge) and considering a V2 kit when I had some experience under the belt...  but this is (obviously) interesting to me, lazy as I am.

LNER post-'46 liveries and numberings, please.  :D

Although (and why manufacturers don't do this is beyond me) an unnumbered and unlettered set of liveries would be great.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

I like the V2 also, have been trying to find sensibly priced s/h Bachmanns (I like a challenge) and considering a V2 kit when I had some experience under the belt...  but this is (obviously) interesting to me, lazy as I am.

LNER post-'46 liveries and numberings, please.  :D

Although (and why manufacturers don't do this is beyond me) an unnumbered and unlettered set of liveries would be great.

pm me I have one(BR livery}, you can have for 15 quid plus postage from OZ if you want, it is new(impulse buy!!), I will check how it runs.........never been out of its box in 20 yrs.

Rgds.........Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Can pretty much guarantee Green Arrow will be a Locomotion Models release. 

Which would be wonderful, unless it is shiny (in gloss finish) in which case a 'No' from me!

• Agree 1