The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

12 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

My only concern is ive never liked Bachman’s lining on BR green locos. The orange always seems to stand out. 

Well get one in the proper Doncaster shade of green then. No orange to offend the eye.

From some other remarks above it would seem that those who are at least prepared to make the effort to re-number, add nameplates, or spray over with a thin coat of varnish to give the desired degree of shine or dullness may still be able to look forward to feeling justly smug about having THE loco that they wanted, while others just sit and complain that their exact choice wasn't served up on a plate and spoon-fed to them......

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Well get one in the proper Doncaster shade of green then. No orange to offend the eye.

From some other remarks above it would seem that those who are at least prepared to make the effort to re-number, add nameplates, or spray over with a thin coat of varnish to give the desired degree of shine or dullness may still be able to look forward to feeling justly smug about having THE loco that they wanted, while others just sit and complain that their exact choice wasn't served up on a plate and spoon-fed to them......

To be honest Grahame Ive been waiting to see what this is like before I decide to go for one of your bodies as I will no doubt end up junking the chassis for a kit built as one as itll be EM gauge which is a bit of a waste I know. 
im looking more at the body and tender on this.
Ive  just never really liked doing lining but its not beyond me.
Itll be grotty, ill be renumbering to the one which went down the bank at Mirfield. 60954 as I believe that was one of the last to visit Walton shed which I am modelling before someone realised V2s were banned on a part of the route so it has a bit of a story which I like.

12 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

...Although (and why manufacturers don't do this is beyond me) an unnumbered and unlettered set of liveries would be great.

Answer in two parts.

A very large proportion of the active market consists of collectors, and users who will do nothing to affect the 'originality' of the model. They no like unnumbered / unlettered / unnamed so sales are slow, essentially only to that subset of modellers willing to 'do things' to their RTR purchases; and the manufacturers respond to this retailer information by supplying the models in the form that is wanted by the majority of the customers.

Better news. Bachmann's models have the applied printing of numbers and letters in a paint which releases easily from the body colour by application of a little solvent. Thereby effectively all their product is unnumbered and unlettered: this welcome feature differentiated them from the other RTR manufacturers active at the time Bachmann entered the market. (I feel the reasoning is good: anyone capable of applying numbering and lettering is not going to have a moments trouble with a simple removal process.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Answer in two parts.

A very large proportion of the active market consists of collectors, and users who will do nothing to affect the 'originality' of the model. They no like unnumbered / unlettered / unnamed so sales are slow, essentially only to that subset of modellers willing to 'do things' to their RTR purchases; and the manufacturers respond to this retailer information by supplying the models in the form that is wanted by the majority of the customers.

Better news. Bachmann's models have the applied printing of numbers and letters in a paint which releases easily from the body colour by application of a little solvent. Thereby effectively all their product is unnumbered and unlettered: this welcome feature differentiated them from the other RTR manufacturers active at the time Bachmann entered the market. (I feel the reasoning is good: anyone capable of applying numbering and lettering is not going to have a moments trouble with a simple removal process.)

Very sane & understood.

As for the solvent on Bachmanns, that's good news.  I've been trying to renumber Airfix 4Fs, and I was two steps away from getting a 5" angle grinder out.  Neither IPA, thinners not meths would touch them.  I haven't yet tried T-Cut/Farecla cutting paste...

I have bought an A2 in early BR applegreen livery, and already have the transfers to put it back to 528 with LNER on the tender.  Since it only entered service in February 1948, I will stick my fingers in my ears and "la, la, la" when people point out it couldn't happen.

Now you've told me it should be 'relatively straightforward', I shall be giving it a go.

• Like 3

Better news. Bachmann's models have the applied printing of numbers and letters in a paint which releases easily from the body colour by application of a little solvent.

Please can you suggest/recommend which solvent you would use?

Edited by MG 7305
Highlight quote

On 29/11/2019 at 09:36, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

This seems to have stirred little interest, to my surprise.  Any thoughts?  it's clearly streets ahead of the old V2.  It looks like a V2 at least, and seems to have some of the key features nicely modelled.  

Bachmann_7_600.jpg.9729e914926c4fa8d8ef7562c068af8d.jpg

Bachmann_11_600.jpg.1e8e99034eeac4eddef04e5ac609be69.jpg

Pictures from World of Railways: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/new-livery-samples-and-eps-from-Bachmann/

It looks stunning. A V2 that looks like a V2. I want loads pity about the price.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 13:24, gr.king said:

Correctly parallel front ring to the boiler, sharply defined authentic cab features and surprisingly enough for Bachmann the features on the Cartazzi unit appear to be proper deep mouldings rather than shallow features on frames set wider apart than scale. Lots of other nice new details too.

New valve gear even?

That may save me having to either re-make my mould for resin bodies or keep issuing apologies for the fact that I cannot supply any.

When?

Hi Graeme,

I was told late 2020. apologies Andy - I didn't realise you'd answered.

Edited by davidw
updated after rereading

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Currently listed on the Bachmann website as due November 2020 with a RRP of £229.95

Hang on, comparable tender locos are RRP 180ish. Why is this £50 more? Even with a 15% discount it is nudging £200. Makes the Stirling Single, as an non-mainstream special edition, look reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Currently listed on the Bachmann website as due November 2020 with a RRP of £229.95

13 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Hang on, comparable tender locos are RRP 180ish. Why is this £50 more? Even with a 15% discount it is nudging £200. Makes the Stirling Single, as an non-mainstream special edition, look reasonable.

That figure has been about for a good 12months there's no way to sugar coat it. It's an expensive model. Most retailers have it listed at around the £186 discounted...

Makes the announced Hornby Thompson Pacific look cheap. You pays your money you make your choice.

Kader have instructed Bachmann UK to bring the money in - like for like - with comparable quality HO, this is no secret.

Want a good V2? That's the price. (Look at the RRP for the 4-BEP if you fancy an eye-watering experience.)

I suggest a choice of three pain reduction programmes.

Philosophy: If I don't buy five Thompson pacific monstrosities, I can have four sublimely elegant Gresley prairies.

Monetary: ruthlessly sell off 'not quite so good' V2s...

Sacrifice (not recently tested): I understand from a friend that one can meet all dietary necessities on a tenner a week spent at Aldi. Having done a version of this near fifty years ago when the economy was tanking and my mortgage payments were humungous; still alive to tell the tale, and happy with the outcome, so it's credible...)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

When Bachmann are trying to sell Box vans for nearly £30 a time , they might actually think its cheap :D = Dream on as far as I am concerned.

I doubt if retailers are too impressed either , they have to pray and hope they can sell them !!.

• Agree 9

15 minutes ago, davidw said:

That figure has been about for a good 12months there's no way to sugar coat it. It's an expensive model. Most retailers have it listed at around the £186 discounted...

I think the RRP has increased by a tenner. Kernow currently has them listed as:

£186.99

Saving up to £32.96

(14.99%) on RRP (£219.95)

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Have you seen it?

I havn't seen it in the flesh but I have read the review by Tony Wright.

Look at the delicate detail, read about the variations, see what Bachmann say in response to Tony' comments.

Yes. it is expensive by 2019 standards but it looks to be a big leap forward from anything that Hornby or Bachmann have previously produced.

I would say that your "comparable" is wide of the mark.

It is what it is. Welcome to 2020.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Kader have instructed Bachmann UK to bring the money in - like for like - with comparable quality HO, this is no secret.

Want a good V2? That's the price. (Look at the RRP for the 4-BEP if you fancy an eye-watering experience.)

I suspect you're right; that that is the instruction from kader. And we've heard all the arguments that our models are cheap compared with european models. But it's missing what the UK model railway market will tolerate and compete. Hornby and other manufacturers are producing models at significantly less money. The V2 is not competitively priced.

Looking back at Wrenn days shows how a  product can though be good, at a too high price point can fail in the market.

I'm not saying that the model won't be good. Or 'value for money'. But a subjective judgement made that it's too much.

Personally modelling the ECML I would like half a dozen or more. Realistically I can't see how.

It's a personal choice just sad that Bachmann may not see any purchases from me.

Again I appreciate that if you want a V2 you put up with the price, go without (use the old model- til it falls apart) or resort to kit building.

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 4

Does this new V2 use the dcc ready chassis that Bachmann developed for the old V2 body, as that had the later motor and fixed cattazi bogie if I recall correct. I think it was only used on the last 3 V2 models released, which was circa 2015, before Bachmann decided to retool the body moulding

Edited by rembrow

3 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Does this new V2 use the dcc ready chassis that Bachmann developed for the old V2 body, as that had the later motor and fixed cattazi bogie if I recall correct. I think it was only used on the last 3 V2 models released, which was circa 2015, before Bachmann decided to retool the body moulding

No it's a complete retool. Far better. I saw the ep at Warley

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, davidw said:

I suspect you're right that that is the instruction from kader. And we've heard all the arguments that our models are cheap compared with european models. But it's missing what the UK model railway market will tolerate. Also Hornby and other manufacturers are producing models at significantly less money. The V2 is not competiotively priced. Again I appreciate that if you want a V2 you put up with the price go without or resort to kit building.

Look back at Wrenn days shows how a  product can though be good, at a too high price point can fail in the market.

I'm not saying that the model won't be good. Or 'value for money'. But a judgement made that it's too much.

Personally modeling the ECML I would like half a dozen or more. Realistically I can't see how.

It's a personal choice just sad that Bachmann may not see any purchases from me.

Sorry,I disagree with the assertion that the V2 is not competitively priced.The new tooling Hornby Princess Royal is priced at a roughly similar mark and I expect their new A2 variant to match it.As you say,as do other forum members,it is a personal choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2020 at 16:55, davidw said:

I suspect you're right; that that is the instruction from kader. And we've heard all the arguments that our models are cheap compared with european models. But it's missing what the UK model railway market will tolerate and compete. Hornby and other manufacturers are producing models at significantly less money. The V2 is not competitively priced.

Looking back at Wrenn days shows how a  product can though be good, at a too high price point can fail in the market.

I'm not saying that the model won't be good. Or 'value for money'. But a subjective judgement made that it's too much.

Personally modelling the ECML I would like half a dozen or more. Realistically I can't see how.

Again I appreciate that if you want a V2 you put up with the price, go without (use the old model- til it falls apart) or resort to kit building.

The thing is this model doesn’t have any competition at the current time. Bachmann are gambling that this remains the case by the time they finally get the model to market. If they are right I will certainly have one as it will be the only rtr V2 available and a V2 is an obviously attractive gap in the market . If they are wrong and a competitor announces one at a reasonable spec and a lower prize point I will probably move across to that because Bachmann are asking top dollar. Personally I hoped Hornby would go for the V2 as they seem to have a good feel for LNER designs

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I saw the Ep at Glasgow and its an impressive model and I feel its worth the money plus you get a flanged wheel on the rear pony truck! I wish Hornby would follow Bachmann and find a way to allow the wheel to turn and keep the rear truck fixed. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, shunny said:

I saw the Ep at Glasgow and its an impressive model and I feel its worth the money plus you get a flanged wheel on the rear pony truck! I wish Hornby would follow Bachmann and find a way to allow the wheel to turn and keep the rear truck fixed. 

To achieve that on the A2 they made the Axlebox and Spring less than half the thickness they should be. Is the V2 the same?

Edited by micklner
Typing error
  • Agree 1