The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Premium

Trivial I know, but I very pleased that I will be able to get a very accurate V2 or two for my projected SR layout. A fair few ran out of Waterloo during the that period of "local difficulty" with those radical pacifics of Mr Bulleid.

Any excuse for an ex LNER locomotive!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/02/2020 at 19:25, FoxUnpopuli said:

I personally think that if I have to pay £230 for something, it should be a scale model - by which I mean, P4.  it's about time the RTRs went balls-to-the-wall and made some finescale chassis to really suit all this new-fandangled top-hat tooling.  If an RTR supplier supported 18.83mm gauge, (or even EM) I'd jump ship from OO and buy everything they made.  Of course, I'm on the path to making my own stock now, because the range is broader and I get to finish it how I want, but I'm wincing at the limitations I'm putting on my models by having that at a woefully inaccurate gauge.  I have the space to have one metre minimum radii, so I'm seriously thinking about it.

Nothing stopping Hornby's Railroad range being OO...  they already have their ranges split, they just haven't made the next leap.

Hornby and Bachmann are supposed to be leaders, they should lead.  I wonder if Oxford Rail are considering this kind of idea?

[/controversial]

I agree entirely. There's supposedly elitist people on other threads pontificating about headlamps and headlamp codes and that they must always be strictly accurate, signal arms a few degrees off prototypical, exactly prototypical train formations etc. However, they ignore the blatantly obvious and self evident fact that the gauge is ridiculously narrow and the wheel flanges a scale six inches deep. They seem to have never heard of EM or even P4.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 2

40 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I agree entirely. There's supposedly elitist people on other threads pontificating about headlamps and headlamp codes and that they must always be strictly accurate, signal arms a few degrees off prototypical, exactly prototypical train formations etc. However, they ignore the blatantly obvious and self evident fact that the gauge is ridiculously narrow and the wheel flanges a scale six inches deep. They seem to have never heard of EM or even P4.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that they've heard of both EM and P4. They've also heard of 80:20!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

wheel flanges a scale six inches deep. 

What a lot of rot. I doubt that many (if any) of even the worst commercially available OO models these days have wheel flanges of half of that claimed depth. Practical working dimensions don't scale down.

The error in the "ridiculously narrow" OO gauge is also little more than 12%. What's the typical track radius error percentage on lots of compressed P4 or EM layouts, or the overall train length error on all those P4 layouts that have to fit in a normal modern house, or the percentage reliability error given the number of times a lot of P4 stock simply falls off the track?????

Isn't this thread supposed to be about V2 models anyway, rather than about merits or otherwise of various scales and gauges?

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• 1 month later...

The thread may be about V2 models, but with the quantum leap in standards and quality generally in recent times, surely the manufacturers should consider finescale modellers.  What's the point of correct lamps and fine details when the basic dimension is out.  The best OO layout is easily Little Bytham, but head-on images really show up the compromise of OO gauge and wheel standards.  Looking head on at images of Retford, the superior quality of finescale is evident.  P4 standards reinforce this further.  Adavoyle is a superb evocation that OO standards cannot match.  Alloa is another that comes to mind.

I am sure that if manufacturers produced identical batches of wagons to P4 and OO gauge would reduce tooling costs and would sell well.  Producing OO locomotives easily convertible to P4-just 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s-would sell well, and benefit the hobby, by giving a boost to finescale modellers, and encouraging OO modellers to have a go.

As for the new V2, Brassmasters Easi Chassis, using as much of the manufacturer's chassis as possible is the way to go for conversion to finescale.

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Alloa is another that comes to mind.

Just a reminder as I am not sure what you meant here, but  Alloa is OO.

Back on V2's it is a bit of a pity that GR King's mould for his resin bodies has finished. I have a couple of old Bachmann bodies on Comet chassis which could have done with the upgrade as the thought of £200 (x2) for the new Bachmann one is not comparable.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 15:45, 30368 said:

Trivial I know, but I very pleased that I will be able to get a very accurate V2 or two for my projected SR layout. A fair few ran out of Waterloo during the that period of "local difficulty" with those radical pacifics of Mr Bulleid.

Any excuse for an ex LNER locomotive!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Well at least you will have one engine that won't slip to a stand...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Next project may be building a DJH Thompson A2/3 (Sun Castle, my late brother and I saw it many times on the ECML) so that will be a second locomotive that might get away from all those greasy rails.

Unfortunately though, I can't find an excuse to run it on the (imaginary at this stage) layout. I can't see those beasties getting clearance on a cross country train from, say, York to Bournmouth via Basingstoke?

Kind regards,

Richard b

12 hours ago, jrg1 said:

The thread may be about V2 models, but with the quantum leap in standards and quality generally in recent times, surely the manufacturers should consider finescale modellers...

I am sure they are aware. There is plentiful evidence of finescale modellers purchasing RTR OO product, and then doing the necessary to provide running gear and mechanisms as required to enable the model to run on EM or P4.
In brief they obtain the sales without the expense of providing any alternative to an OO mechanism.

The only way forward for the finescale customer is a total boycott of RTR. If the lost sales are significant, the RTR manufacturers will react.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Next project may be building a DJH Thompson A2/3 (Sun Castle, my late brother and I saw it many times on the ECML) so that will be a second locomotive that might get away from all those greasy rails.

Unfortunately though, I can't find an excuse to run it on the (imaginary at this stage) layout. I can't see those beasties getting clearance on a cross country train from, say, York to Bournmouth via Basingstoke?

Kind regards,

Richard b

I like the way your mind is working there Richard but even if by some inexplicable reason the train started out A2 hauled from York  it would have been replaced enroute.  Oxford was the last interchange before bypassing Reading and heading for Basingstoke.  You'd be more likely to find a King Arthur or Lord Nelson hauling it on the last part of the journey   However remember rule 1!!   Just be sure to fit the correct SR head code on it!!

I imagine that beast would cause quite a stir at Bournemouth shed

Norm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Norm,

Will do re the headcode!

Just completing an N15X 4-6-0 build and they also worked these trains from Oxford,

Nice to hear from Maine, we have a daughter and her family living in Tennessee. We planned to visit this year and take a trip to Cheyenne to see 4014 but events have changed all that!

I share your interest in the locomotives of the LSWR and SR.

Kind regards,

Richard B

20 hours ago, 30368 said:

York to Berwickournemouth via Bishop Aucklandasingstoke. FTFY. Just build the layout on the right side of the country, and you're all done.

I have a similar problem, I'd so much like to have a S15 appear on a  transfer freight into my KX area layout location, but there's no evidence whatsoever of one appearing. Q1, yes, but I want the S15 as well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

York to Berwickournemouth via Bishop Aucklandasingstoke. FTFY. Just build the layout on the right side of the country, and you're all done.

I have a similar problem, I'd so much like to have a S15 appear on a  transfer freight into my KX area layout location, but there's no evidence whatsoever of one appearing. Q1, yes, but I want the S15 as well.

Given the heavy flow of freight between Ferme Park and Feltham I’d have thought the odd S15 might well have put in an appearance at Hornsey. I’ve no photographic evidence, either of that or S15 appearances on Feltham-Temple Mills workings for my own layout, but managed to convince myself that  more than possible + Rule One + desire was significantly more than enough to justify a purchase.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Generally Main Line diversions commencing at Darlington were confined to Sundays for Engineers' possessions, but I could have dashed down to the allotments at the bottom of my grandparents' cul-de sac and watched this through before the ECML was re joined at Relly Mill Junction. Brandon Colliery was our local Station on the secondary route.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I am a great fan of the LNER and BR (NE) and BR (ER) but I know far more about the ex LSWR main line and its locomotives so the layout will stay in the south.

That is not to say that I don't know the North East. When I was an apprentice on the SR  I visited Darlington Works way back in December 1963 and it was still very busy with steam repairs, lots of Scottish A4's as I recall as well as BR type 2 Sulzers. I maintained my connections with the town throughout my BR career and still do, being a founder member of the P2 project. It is great that the town maintains its links with its engineering past by building these truly great locomotives.

Picture of my current project:

2122420010_001(2).JPG.325d0053a6f60dccf98f6733da02679a.JPG

Kind regards, and stay safe,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/05/2020 at 08:32, 30368 said:

I am a great fan of the LNER and BR (NE) and BR (ER) but I know far more about the ex LSWR main line and its locomotives so the layout will stay in the south.

That is not to say that I don't know the North East. When I was an apprentice on the SR  I visited Darlington Works way back in December 1963 and it was still very busy with steam repairs, lots of Scottish A4's as I recall as well as BR type 2 Sulzers. I maintained my connections with the town throughout my BR career and still do, being a founder member of the P2 project. It is great that the town maintains its links with its engineering past by building these truly great locomotives.

Picture of my current project:

2122420010_001(2).JPG.325d0053a6f60dccf98f6733da02679a.JPG

Richard B

Hi Richard.   Nice to hear from a fellow LSWR mainline fan.   I just love that model of 'Beattie' you're building.  Can you tell me if it's an available kit?   I hope you manage to make your planned trip to the USA in the future.  Hopefully next year

norm

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Norm,

Many thanks for the very kind comments.

A company called "Ace Products" supply a kit for the N15X 4-6-0. They are in Surrey, England.

https://www.aceproducts.org/index

The kits are nickel silver and tin plate. The N15X is a fairly difficult kit to build and I wouldn't recommend it for a begginer. It's good though that a kit is available!

We go to the US at least once every year but this year will be an exception!

Richard B

Edited by 30368

37 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

So back to the V2.

Are they not doing a monoblock cylinder version in BR green?

The version in BR green has separate cylinders. The black version monoblock. Time will tell if the separate cylinders will be removable like the are on the older version.

Edited by davidw

On 01/05/2020 at 17:45, ScRSG said:

Just a reminder as I am not sure what you meant here, but  Alloa is OO.

Back on V2's it is a bit of a pity that GR King's mould for his resin bodies has finished. I have a couple of old Bachmann bodies on Comet chassis which could have done with the upgrade as the thought of £200 (x2) for the new Bachmann one is not comparable.

I confused Alloa with Burntisland, somehow.

It would be good if the manufacturers made locomotive and tender bodies as spares-not only the new V2, but the proposed Hornby Thompson Pacifics come to mind.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 02:36, jrg1 said:

It would be good if the manufacturers made locomotive and tender bodies as spares - not only the new V2, but the proposed Hornby Thompson Pacifics come to mind.

The problem from their perspective is the distribution: multiple packaging instead of 'one complete assembly, one box'. (Bachmann did themselves no favours  by making their split chassis mechanisms available as spares, so I cannot see them taking any version of that road again.)

Personally I feel it is for the individual to see the complete product as basically an assembled kit and do the breaking for spares themselves. (Perhaps it would be more sensible for my own interest not to advertise this, but over the past 20 years the lack of spare parts supply from the manufacturers has actually favoured the individual prepared to break up models. There will be someone out there who has had a major accident with a loco body, and needs a new one; likewise another with a totalled mechanism needing a replacement. It was only the GBL series that slightly reduced the loco body demand for a while: mechanisms, wanna, wanna...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few years ago I took up this topic with both Hornby and Bachmann, The reply being the same for both, they look on the loco/tender as one unit and the run of the models is based on a specific number of "units" and that was the end of the matter!

Edited by 60027Merlin

• 4 months later...

I note the usual comments about an RRP of £230.

I'm looking at getting a 2-6-2 tender engine- but an HO gauge DB class 23.  I'm thinking the price could be- wait for it -  £400, or maybe £500 with sound.  This for a similar sized loco to the V2.  OK the tender has 4 axles but that is a lot to pay for an extra pair of wheels.

In international terms we are still getting things on the cheap.

Les

My Brawa 2-6-2 tank loco (with sound) had a price tag North of £500 - think V1/V3 by comparison.  

• Like 1