The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2020 at 10:43, atom3624 said:

I notice for almost the first time, Bachmann are finally following Hornby and fitting the little cab side windows / ash guards?

I've seen a couple of Bachmann models with this moulded in, but not actually fitted separately ...

Al.

I thought the jubilee / patriot and Stanier mogul had them as self fit ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I thought the jubilee / patriot and Stanier mogul had them as self fit ?

Not provided in my 3 bought from new Jubilees - 45562, 45659 or 45687 though you do get a window for the second cab aperture. Not with Patriot 45543 either. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2020 at 04:00, robmcg said:

60862_V2_portrait70_1abc_IMG_5305_r1820.jpg.9ce54d9f4fc6e02f2bb04cd381e753bc.jpg

60964_V2_1247543143_60964BRlivery.jpg..jpg.fdecccdce0ccd97a47d93cbdca5d3b71.jpg

Only have a passing interest in LNER but when I saw the pre production photos on Rails website, my first thought was something looked a bit strange around the front end - as if the pony wheels are too small or too far back (or dare I say too narrow!). Reminded me a bit of Hornby mid 70s. Now I've seen these two together I think it's just the effect of the missing steps?

Edit: the different steam pipes also make a difference: the older one has a more purposeful, squat appearance. Not saying one is wrong, just interesting what an impact a couple of things have.

Edited by Hal Nail

non-straight running plat

On 30/12/2020 at 07:23, Hal Nail said:

Only have a passing interest in LNER but when I saw the pre production photos on Rails website, my first thought was something looked a bit strange around the front end - as if the pony wheels are too small or too far back (or dare I say too narrow!). Reminded me a bit of Hornby mid 70s. Now I've seen these two together I think it's just the effect of the missing steps?

Edit: the different steam pipes also make a difference: the older one has a more purposeful, squat appearance. Not saying one is wrong, just interesting what an impact a couple of things have.

non-straight running plates both above the drivers and the cylinders/pony. Very wavy. Almost as bad as Hornby's Ski-Slope A3s....! Really hope Bachmann fix this before production of a £220 model....

I don't want to be spending extra money for a replacement body/running plate off later batches in future years!

On 30/12/2020 at 07:23, Hal Nail said:

Totally different V2s though.

One is a Monobloc version with the cylinders, steamchest and smokebox saddle cast as one piece. The other is a rebuild with outside steampipes, new steam chest/saddle and separate cylinders. Only 70 odd were rebuilt.

The squat appearance is what is wrong with the old model. The smokebox, boiler and firebox is the wrong size and shape. The new version is correct.

The wrong boiler on the old model is why all the LNER aficionados were buying these.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Oh dear... the ski jump is very evident.

Yes it is isn't it.  The LNER livery one also shows very lopsided fitment of the cab interior.

Here's hoping these are just early teething problems with the livery samples.

3 hours ago, teaky said:

Yes it is isn't it.  The LNER livery one also shows very lopsided fitment of the cab interior.

Here's hoping these are just early teething problems with the livery samples.

I sense the lopsided effect on the LNER model is due to the cab seats not being fitted straight (certainly the left hand one is visibly leaning). The actual backhead looks OK.... but I may be wrong

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/images/ocw/35-200 lner v2 4791 lner lined green (original)-14295-large.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/lner-v2-4791-lner-lined-green-(original)/35-200

Can I suggest people contact Bachmann now that offices are reopening to draw attention to the running plate issue and demonstrate the numbers who are concerned? It would be a real shame for such otherwise well researched models to be led down by poor fitting and assembly of parts (or depending on cause of ski jump, poor casting of parts). Talk about falling at the last hurdle.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2019 at 13:47, AY Mod said:

A reasonable estimate would be to say 12-18 months from now.

17 months and counting... but Covid hasn’t helped of course.  

Although the speed at which Hornby and others continue to churn out stuff makes for an interesting comparison.  

43 minutes ago, Chamby said:

17 months and counting... but Covid hasn’t helped of course.  

Although the speed at which Hornby and others continue to churn out stuff makes for an interesting comparison.  

To be fair, Bachmann's website has listed the V2 as due for release August/September this year for well over 12 months.

• Agree 1

I mentioned this in the Locomotion models thread but neglected to here, but, the current delay of the arrival of the V2's is due to the entire running plate being retooled to remove the wave and the ski-jump.

Original delivery estimates were March / April - the V2's are now expected in August but the Precedents will be first. 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 19:37, mckinneyc said:

Good that Bachmann have listened to feedback and are intent on correcting any errors 

Bachmann has just confirmed to me that the trailing wheels will be flangeless, even though early pictures clearly show flanges. I have provided feedback. What is the world coming to? I was rather looking forward to the new V2 but I would want, if not perfection, a model to my taste. I shall depend on my old V2s. That’s the problem with re-tools: unless they are spot on, there is little point upgrading. A model of something never before available in RTR is much harder to resist.

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Bachmann has just confirmed to me that the trailing wheels will be flangeless, even though early pictures clearly show flanges. I have provided feedback. What is the world coming to? I was rather looking forward to the new V2 but I would want, if not perfection, a model to my taste. I shall depend on my old V2s. That’s the problem with re-tools: unless they are spot on, there is little point upgrading. A model of something never before available in RTR is much harder to resist.

I'll be surprised if they don't provide flanged wheels as well, like Hornby do.

They did supply an extra set of driving wheels with the Midland 1P 0-4-4T.

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Bachmann has just confirmed to me that the trailing wheels will be flangeless, even though early pictures clearly show flanges. I have provided feedback. 

Did they provide a reason? Seems like an odd decision, given they’d successfully got pivoting axles within a daylight-free trailing truck to work on previous models like the GNR C1 Atlantic.

Interested to see if that bulled-up valve gear is the final version too, I’d presumed the very shiny look was simply a carryover from the museum-spec Locomotion Models variants and would be blackened for the regular versions.

I was just looking back to those 'early production' photos, and there's a hint of a flange, but not the normal style.

Don't think it'll be a game changer as far as loss of sale.

As some have said in the past, the floating flanged axle in the pony truck has worked as the pony is wider than it should be - this change is probably to ensure more-scale pony truck mouldings.

Al.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll be surprised if they don't provide flanged wheels as well, like Hornby do.

They did supply an extra set of driving wheels with the Midland 1P 0-4-4T.

Jason

I’m surprised they fitted flangeless wheels at all – it isn’t normal Bachmann practice. Hornby doesn’t always provide extra flanged wheels; for some reason the solid chassis of the Merchant Navy and the Thompson A2s have been made to preclude the fitting of them.

1 hour ago, OliverBytham said:

Did they provide a reason? Seems like an odd decision, given they’d successfully got pivoting axles within a daylight-free trailing truck to work on previous models like the GNR C1 Atlantic.

Interested to see if that bulled-up valve gear is the final version too, I’d presumed the very shiny look was simply a carryover from the museum-spec Locomotion Models variants and would be blackened for the regular versions.

No, no reason provided. It seems odd to me too. I can only guess that it is a response to criticism from “the opposite camp” of the over-wide trailing truck and shallow axleboxes of previous models although it might also be an attempt to avoid the expense of the older sprung arrangement. With careful design, I think it would be possible to produce a much better compromise than has been produced to date. JSpencer for one has made what seem some very workable suggestions.

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2021 at 08:43, 60800 said:

I mentioned this in the Locomotion models thread but neglected to here, but, the current delay of the arrival of the V2's is due to the entire running plate being retooled to remove the wave and the ski-jump.

Original delivery estimates were March / April - the V2's are now expected in August but the Precedents will be first. 

Cheers,

Of course; they are Precedents.  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5