The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

I too get the impression that these will be impressive models, especially the BR green versions, and cannot help but speculate on how they might be when given light weathering.

I did a mildly edited version of the publicity photo of 60964 which I re-numbered... 

will remove if it offends, I think it gives an idea of slightly darkened rods and so on, but cannot wait to point my camera at the real thing.

60946_V2_Portrait32_3abc_r2080a.jpg.8524257b0ac4c377849d72df5a3da049.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2021 at 14:02, OliverBytham said:

Two naff photos of the samples at the GETS this weekend. Sorry, glass cases in awkward positions + phone camera indoors doesn’t make for high quality images. 

In the metal the valve gear is on the thickset side but not as overly chunky as it looks on the official ‘press’ images, IMHO. Still not a fan of the exposed screwheads though.

C1D1EA95-815D-49A9-99BB-4F64C7D89682.jpeg

41B710DC-6142-40EC-B8E0-8BF834985A2B.jpeg

Despite my misgivings I reckon I will end up getting one of these. Note to Hornby - a uniform high quality finish on a model with some dubious details trumps an excellent model with a dodgy paint job!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Despite my misgivings I reckon I will end up getting one of these. Note to Hornby - a uniform high quality finish on a model with some dubious details trumps an excellent model with a dodgy paint job!

For me the telling factor that sets this apart from its Hornby contemporaries is exactly that.   That doesn’t mean that I don’t have any issues with it though.  I think Bachmann could and should have done better below the running plate which includes thickness of wheel rims and overscale valve gear. Notice how Rob’s image with darkening in these areas improves the overall appearance of the model.  I’ll have to take a long hard look at Rails website when it finally appears.  I would obviously like ,as would we all,a V2 to 21stC standard.

Not having much luck with new releases atm it appears……but yes the V2 does for all its potential faults… a much superior beast to Hornby’s latest releases 

a superior beast to Hornby’s latest offerings 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Syntax
  • Agree 1

I have been tempted by older Bachmann V2s on the second hand market for under fifty quid, and have bought a couple, here is one ... 60694 , with the nameplates I presume will come with the new 60694..

Some details were loose in the box, front 3-link coupling and that steam pipe on the boiler, but it looks pretty good for a 1999-on model, split chassis of course, and someone has added cylinder drain pipes, coal and possibly other things, runs well.

Img_0683abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.d462aef8133b971eec967c5a7f7fdd79.jpg

here below is the new one, factory photo for comparison

60964_V4_IMG_3821_1abcd1_r2080a.jpg.92e98a1d000c867a0152d22439ca8bf4.jpg

Different lighting. ,mine was with a reading lamp and typical artificial room light, Canon camera auto light setting.

And to finish, the other side of this UKP47 V2 from Hattons, UKP9.50 tracked airmail to NZ  about 2  weeks.  

Am I missing something or was this model pretty good for its time?

Img_0681abcde_r2080a.jpg.9e0136c6b7f0be0740f598fe547965c9.jpg

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, robmcg said:

I have been tempted by older Bachmann V2s on the second hand market for under fifty quid, and have bought a couple, here is one ... 60694 , with the nameplates I presume will come with the new 60694..

Some details were loose in the box, front 3-link coupling and that steam pipe on the boiler, but it looks pretty good for a 1999-on model, split chassis of course, and someone has added cylinder drain pipes, coal and possibly other things, runs well.

Different lighting. ,mine was with a reading lamp and typical artificial room light, Canon camera auto light setting.

And to finish, the other side of this UKP47 V2 from Hattons, UKP9.50 tracked airmail to NZ  about 2  weeks.  

The chassis and drive train was upgraded within,I think,the last 5/6 years. So which version is this Rob ? It looks like one of the earlier ones.

This a reworked and repainted etc Bachmann V2 with the current chassis , the Cab Numbers are straight.

The photo above looks like the old split axle chassis. The old chassis has the swing side to side Cartazzi Truck at the rear.

I havent seen anything on the latest version that makes me want to buy one.

360318755_1cor9IMG_8610.jpg.ccc2ce7f0f3e25b60e1a5af01a5db9e2.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, robmcg said:

Nice model and your excellent photo's have nearly tempted me to look at the old model too. This one has clearly been improved tho - front pony tidied, new pony wheel, wheels and motion blackened (with a marker pen by the look of it!) Cab door, closer tender loco coupling etc 

5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The chassis and drive train was upgraded within,I think,the last 5/6 years. So which version is this Rob ? It looks like one of the earlier ones.

Yes Ian it is one of the early split-chassis ones, but has had improvements made by a previous owner, front truck, blackened rims and motion, close-coupled, cylinder drains etc. as pointed out by Mike.

I have a couple of the upgraded DCC-ready versions from 2016-on and they aren't bad but the flat dome and general standard is not quite up to the new version, going by the photos at least.

• Thanks 1

I must say that to my eyes the review above shows a lot of bright wheels and motion, perhaps just my preferences....   I am sure to buy a BR version, but the bright white motion, hmmmm.

4791_V2_Image1a_r1610.jpg.021c02dfb7b3e06fca064d2c554ed1d2.jpg

Of course one can always modify one's models to taste. :)

...and end up with something like this...

60903_V2_portrait115_1a_Img_0719abc_r2080a.jpg.48b5aae997dae7ae15206c3fcb04088a.jpg

I look forward to treating the new BR models to similar slight enhancements.

Edited by robmcg
additions
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

It may just be the lighting of course ... but it does look really odd.

I doubt if Bachmann have changed their LNER livery, and I agree about the lighting...  it does no favours to the model.

Here is my photo of the DCC ready version of 2012 (I think) in LNER livery,  the angle of the camera gives nicer-looking rods and motion than we have seen so far on the new versions, but just as with the new Hornby Clan colours vary so much according to cameras and lighting. 

4771_V2_IMG_5222_1abc_r1820.jpg.1b695544f2791394f23474c11fa0e409.jpg

edit; I really must check that all wheels are on the track!

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anyone have any experience of a Bachmann Sound-Fitted model running on analogue / DC control?

Just been reading various reviews of the V2s in the modelling press and several state the sound-fitted model will run on a conventional analogue layout, and play the usual running sounds as well as occasional extras, like a whistle or safety valve lift I suppose.

Still undecided over getting one of these, but I'm interested how that feature works on DC and how consistently it plays the looped audio. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

as well as occasional extras, like a whistle or safety valve lift I suppose.

Although you will get power-related sounds up and down the speed range you won't get whistles and other ancillary sounds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Does anyone have any experience of a Bachmann Sound-Fitted model running on analogue / DC control?

Just been reading various reviews of the V2s in the modelling press and several state the sound-fitted model will run on a conventional analogue layout, and play the usual running sounds as well as occasional extras, like a whistle or safety valve lift I suppose.

Still undecided over getting one of these, but I'm interested how that feature works on DC and how consistently it plays the looped audio. 

I did in fact try it once on my Gaugemaster D with a Bachmann Clas 40 after having had a reasonable success with Hornby Loksound fitted rebuilt Bulleid WC and Duchess pacifics. It was a disappointment. It required much more grunt from the controller for a poor return for its efforts.The sound chip was removed and sold on .A blanking pin was fitted.  I hasten to add that was my only experience with Bachmann sound fitting on DC analogue.

If you are intent on the experiment,ensure that you use a modern good quality controller….I can’t over emphasise that………..and ensure you have a market for the sound module if you find the results as I did.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2021 at 17:30, OliverBytham said:

'Silver Sidelines' of this parish has an excellent YouTube channel where her has demonstrated several sound fitted Bachmann locos (the Class 40 and 55 spring to mind) and I am sure he also had a steam (maybe a Patriot). To justify the additional cost of DCC sound tho you really do need DCC control - a good sound fitted loco is endless fun. Just fitted a Hornby A4 with the Locoman project - completely engaging and has that 'syncopated' beat down to a tee :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes think we get a little too serious when it comes to the V2, my Proscale kit is nearing completion and I thought you may be interested in a little known fact about the V2's when they briefly operated on the SR.

Some pictures of a little known pairing during the brief posting of 60896 to the SR as a temporary replacement for the MN during the axle crisis. It was thought that the Drummond 8 wheeled tender would provide additional water capacity given the lack of water troughs on the SR routes. It was soon abandoned when it was realised that the LNER Group Standard 6 wheeled tender had a greater water capacity than the Dummond 8 wheeler. Not a lot of people know that....

678630517_IMG_6798(2).JPG.1cb8e688f09b2b6fdf028131682c3558.JPG

291050280_IMG_6800(2).JPG.d38e950c694b375a6355ca1f57c9fd0c.JPG

Tee hee...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

I just bought a s/h Bachmann ex-WD 2-8-0 No.90445 aftermarket weathered and having read Gilbert Barnatt's review of the new V2 in the Nov 2021 BRM and his migivings about the thickness of the smokebox front and rivets on the smokebox, I was intrigued to see the very same on this 1999 design WD model... designed and made 22 years ago.

90445_WD_8F_portrait13a_1abcd_r2080.jpg.c37a1e2347f71e608717a4b43c6b408f.jpg

The rivets are much less obvious on the older model. I don't think it will put me off a new V2 though. I look forward to seeing realistically-weathered versions of the Gresley 2-6-2.

Above pic is slightly edited, but not around the smokebox.

just for comparison...

60964_V4_IMG_3821_1abcd1_r2080.jpg.1cf86e01f2e63bf0b6957c8e4392e29f.jpg

Cheers. 

Edited by robmcg
correction, addition
  • Like 1