The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

There seems to a question as to the position of the rivets as well as the size of them.

They appear to be too far in from the front of the smoke box.

As you say it needs seeing in the flesh to make a judgement.

Bernard

TBH its the position and size of the rivets I'm talking about 

24 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

I understand that the tender is fitted with spoked wheels, rather than the correct disc wheels. It’s not mentioned in reviews and I haven’t bought one to check. Can anyone confirm this?

Only magazine review samples are about at the moment. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

I understand that the tender is fitted with spoked wheels, rather than the correct disc wheels. It’s not mentioned in reviews and I haven’t bought one to check. Can anyone confirm this?

All retail models will have disc wheels. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

On 26/10/2021 at 22:01, robmcg said:

True I have used Hattons photos and manufacturers' photos and not asked, but for photos by individuals I do make a point of asking, or in some cases offering to remove.

I see the same Hattons and Bachmann photos widely copied by commercial operations and this is presumably a breach of copyright, where in my case the only financial interest would be in your site's visitors, the pics I use enhance sales of products and engender enjoyable reading, or so I thought until now.

I do appreciate you requiring control of your images.  I don't recall stealing any images from anyone on RMweb without their consent, unless by quoting their post and photo it represents copying and theft.

Don't bother putting me on moderator watch.  I've had it with the ads and the tone of your post has finished my interest in contributing here.  

Spot on kid. Good luck.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Mel_H said:

I've just located my split chassis version of Green Arrow.   The tender is fitted with disc wheels...

5 hours ago, dandg said:

I've just located my split chassis version of Green Arrow.   The tender is fitted with disc wheels...

The models have always had disc wheels.

That is why it seemed odd that the samples of the new version had spoked wheels.

Good to hear that this fault will be rectified.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

What’s it look like underneath with regards possibly regauging to EM?

You know, that's the one thing I forgot to check :fool:

I think it's got 3mm driving axles, but until I see the next one (when they arrive!), I cannot be absolutely sure....  Sorting out the tender axles might be fun, as they have pickups on split (2mm) axles...

1 hour ago, Tim said:

20211028_181906.jpg.c413d321c96708f3c9532daf82f3e507.jpg

20211027_160438.jpg.0cec5e2e7cba200a3ed53c7499015952.jpg

20211028_181946.jpg.fb781cf04223b700e3a788d817ef368f.jpg

As you can see, the smokebox door has been significantly modified, given this is the main failing (IMHO) of the model; getting the "face" right of a loco, after all, is vital.   The door, thankfully, pops off without much ado, making thinning down rather more straightforward.  I use a Stanley knife for this job, since I can have greater control over the blade than I can with a scalpel, especially given I can "roll" the door along the knife blade in order to mark it out.  I think I've taken about 0.6mm of the depth out of it, which I smoothed up with a decent file afterwards.  The plug bit of the door is then too deep for the recess provided, so I took a "detail file" to the back of it until it sat happily in the hole.  The original door dart was a casualty of this process, so that was just replaced with my usual pair of shoulderless handrail knobs soldered to a length of wire, trimming the handles to the desired length and blackening afterwards.

Really useful post Tim , thanks. And a lovely job on the weathering. 

Did you take any pictures midway through the smokebox door trimming? Just interested in your technique to achieve such a flush-fitting result.

Think I’m going to attempt removing the rearmost cabside windows when I get my hands on one, hopefully the adhesive there isn’t overly strong either. 

Cheers,

Ollie 

Edited by OliverBytham
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Really useful post Tim , thanks. And a lovely job on the weathering. 

Did you take any pictures midway through the smokebox door trimming? Just interested in your technique to achieve such a flush-fitting result.

Think I’m going to attempt removing the rearmost cabside windows when I get my hands on one, hopefully the adhesive there isn’t overly strong either. 

Cheers,

Ollie 

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for your kind words!  The rear cab windows pop out very easily, which I forgot to mention about.  I'm kicking myself, though, for not photographing the back of the door post-modification.  I think I was more concerned that I needed to get it to fit properly, rather than "oh hang on, this might be useful!".  I'll try and remember to do it for the next one(s) though, whenever they do indeed arrive. 

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the bottom of the Boiler painted Black ? The join now looks very obvious  along the legth of the Footplate. It would also look better if the lining was carried down underneath the Boiler by Bachmann as well.

The Cab would look better with the front windows either removed or the "Teak paint" filed off , the empty rear Cab Window looks a much better size and shape.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, micklner said:

Is the bottom of the Boiler painted Black ? The join now looks very obvious  along the legth of the Footplate. It would also look better if the lining was carried down underneath the Boiler by Bachmann as well.

The Cab would look better with the front windows either removed or the "Teak paint" filed off , the empty rear Cab Window looks a much better size and shape.

Certainly looks better than it did. Agree with the above plus would add that the heavily rendered strip that forms the join between the firebox casing and the cab now looks worse (more prominent). I’d also add that having seen review photos the side on view is spoilt by the huge power connector to the tender which then ironically is used only for the tender pickups. The gap between the tender and the cab also appears  unnecessarily large and appears unadjustable and now highlights the lack of tender dragbox detail or tender-cab buffers. The cab roof vents are molded on and open (so tough luck if your layout represents a winter scene!). All of these are retrograde features that have been better rendered on earlier steam models in the Bachmann range

I’m very disappointed with this model and equally disappointed with the fact the none of the reviews published so far have made any mention of any of the obvious defects that have been covered on this thread. This model seems a retrograde step in quality and attention to detail from Bachmann that stands in stark contrast to the new diesels coming through from the same manufacturer. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I’d also add that having seen review photos the side on view is spoilt by the huge power connector to the tender which then ironically is used only for the tender pickups. The gap between the tender and the cab also appears  unnecessarily large and appears unadjustable

The side elevation shots are taken against a white background and it's far less prominent when on a layout and viewed from normal angles. There is some adjustment, one thing that hinders movement far fmore are the cab doors, if fitted.

• Informative/Useful 2

I would be very happy if a V2 of that standard was put through the "Shrink Ray" and made into an N Gauge model, sure there seem to be a few small discrepancies on this 00 one but I guess things like the chunkier valve gear are more of a a necessity in N.

Anyway, and not wishing to be flippant, just bring some perspective here, isn't the biggest discrepancy of all a gauge which is about a scale 7 ins too narrow? 

Just sayin'....

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Agree 1

On 28/10/2021 at 10:12, 2750Papyrus said:

I have just read the review in Model Rail, which states that the Bachmann manual for this loco recommends the use of a smoothed supply when using analogue control, and speculates on the possible fitting of a coreless motor (not mentioned in the BRM or RM reviews). 

My layout is an oval with hidden storage sidings, so has gradients at each end.  I therefore use Gaugemaster feedback controllers to maintain reasonably constant speeds.  I have had a V2 on order for many months and have not previously been aware of this potential problem.  Please can anyone advise?

Can any one confirm this has a coreless motor.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I'm led to believe this is the case with all new steam outline Bachmann models recently released.

In N maybe but certainly not OO.

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

In N maybe but certainly not OO.

It appears that I've been given incorrect information from a Bachmann outlet.

I was told that from the release of the 94xx, all new steam locomotive releases going forward were to be fitted with coreless motors.

Thank you for providing a definitive answer and apologies to Paul 27 for providing incorrect information.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

It appears that I've been given incorrect information from a Bachmann outlet.

I was told that from the release of the 94xx, all new steam locomotive releases going forward were to be fitted with coreless motors.

Thank you for providing a definitive answer and apologies to Paul 27 for providing incorrect information.

It literally says on their website what motor is fitted https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/lner-v2-4791-lner-lined-green-(original)/35-200

7 hours ago, romley midland said:

It literally says on their website what motor is fitted https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/lner-v2-4791-lner-lined-green-(original)/35-200

FYI, the relevant Bachmann advertising states  "Powerful 5 Pole Motor" nothing more nothing less.

There is no mention of it being coreless or otherwise.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
On 01/11/2021 at 00:01, Black 5 Bear said:

FYI, the relevant Bachmann advertising states  "Powerful 5 Pole Motor" nothing more nothing less.

There is no mention of it being coreless or otherwise.

The review in last months Hornby mag says  its a powerful 5 pole motor and perhaps more positively the photo of the chassis shows what looks like the traditional Bachmann style motor (although haven't they used 3 pole motors to date?).

Regardless I've just gone and satisfied my V2 itch with a late version of the old model which flaws notwithstanding is now going for less than the cost of the new Oxford j27 on the auction sites. I think Bachmann may have inadvertently hit and exceeded my price/value for money/what is this bringing new to my layout ceiling with the new model. Likewise the last version of the Brush Type 4 is looking very much a bargain now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1