The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

57 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Its not hiding the gap. As noted on the BR Green models, there is no gap. It is a simple c*ck up by the CAD or tooling designers who made the strip that on the prototype connects the cab to the firebox far too wide on the cab front, and the subsequently the livery designers working with this error and constraining the green (and lining) to the edge of that strip.

I did raise this issue with Bachmann at the decoration samples stage, but no one bothered to reply to me (although Locomotion models did, but without committing to rectifying it...).

This was NOT an issue at all on the old V2 model, the cab/firebox interface had the correct (very thin) amount of black in it. And the tip of the green on the cab front reached down to level with the bottom of the running numbers. For me this is the biggest let down to this new model. I'm awaiting mine any day, and I hope it doesn't detract to much.

TBH the rest of the model, valve gear, buffers and all, I think looks very nice for a polished up preserved loco.

The first batch of the Apple Green Bachmann Tornado had silver painted buffers and I think it works.

Page 1 on here the gap in primer, and the gap again in this recent example . Poorly tooled at best.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/exclusive-Bachmann-class-v2-locomotives

15 minutes ago, micklner said:

Page 1 on here the gap in primer, and the gap again in this recent example . Poorly tooled at best.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/exclusive-Bachmann-class-v2-locomotives

Fair. I hadn't noticed it on the BR Green examples as its minor compared to the huge line on the LNER ones.

I guess I was expecting something like the original A2s with a stonking gap (and sloop).

Its just ironic that had they had a think black strip on the LNER examples this WOULD have masked any small gap, but what they have done is drawn attention to it!

Hornby have demonstrated it is perfectly possible to have a separate cab fixed to the boiler with no noticeable gap (if properly assembled)

Bachmann appear to have rushed the final stages of development and deliver of these models...

• Like 1

For those waiting for their V2's to arrive - they are well worth the wait. Most of the issues mentioned are easily fixable if they bother you - And the cab? Well honestly I'd rather have a slightly chunky cab front than any of the issues I've had with Hornby releases from the past two years. 

PXL_20211221_175219507.NIGHT.jpg.295433b17e3d005f5eaeee386ebb7a03.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Fair. I hadn't noticed it on the BR Green examples as its minor compared to the huge line on the LNER ones.

I guess I was expecting something like the original A2s with a stonking gap (and sloop).

Its just ironic that had they had a think black strip on the LNER examples this WOULD have masked any small gap, but what they have done is drawn attention to it!

Hornby have demonstrated it is perfectly possible to have a separate cab fixed to the boiler with no noticeable gap (if properly assembled)

Bachmann appear to have rushed the final stages of development and deliver of these models...

Do you think it might be deliberate, in order to draw attention away from the awful trailing wheels? Bachmann imitating Hornby – what is the world coming to? The wheels look coned too, which could be awkward if one falls outside the rail. The Hornby ones are chamfered on both sides so at least they would have a chance of climbing back over the rail. Mine is on its way. I suppose all will be revealed in time. It is a bit disappointing because I was hoping for the ultimate V2, which to me means the ultimate steam locomotive. Dammit, they won the war, didn’t they?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

For those waiting for their V2's to arrive - they are well worth the wait. Most of the issues mentioned are easily fixable if they bother you - And the cab? Well honestly I'd rather have a slightly chunky cab front than any of the issues I've had with Hornby releases from the past two years. 

PXL_20211221_175219507.NIGHT.jpg.295433b17e3d005f5eaeee386ebb7a03.jpg

Cheers,

That looks lovely. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like it. I shouldn’t say this in case the people at Bachmann are minded to do something about it but I’m not quite convinced that Bachmann finishes are absolutely accurate. For my money, I think the Bachmann shades are even more attractive than the originals and I love them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! Don't think I'll be downgrading to this from my Finney/Brassmasters kit. Yes, it's £240 and I still have to buy wheels and motor, but with wheels and motion that poor, Bachmann's is going to need a new chassis too - and the body will still look wrong.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The valve gear is blinged up for the Locomotion models.

As far as I'm aware, the other LNER releases have the shiny motion too - although it might just be the pre-production samples. I get that they were going for a museum finish with Green Arrow but it is a little too stark - nothing a quick oil wash won't fix though.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 60800 said:

As far as I'm aware, the other LNER releases have the shiny motion too - although it might just be the pre-production samples. I get that they were going for a museum finish with Green Arrow but it is a little too stark - nothing a quick oil wash won't fix though.

Cheers,

Looking on the Rails website,the two BR versions don’t. Looks as if the motion has been toned down to an acceptable  

condition . The LNER green on view has its wheels off set by the application of its livery. 

Sorry that you’ve been upset by some comments. Feelings are obviously running high on its merits and otherwise. Some of us have lost the plot somewhere between genuine knowledge and enthusiasm and the practicalities of bringing the V2 to release in rtr form. I knew before I ordered a BR l/c green version that there were a few things not as they might be. However that did not deter me from doing so and I am looking forward to receiving it hopefully early in the New Year. I might even stretch to a BR black version in due course.

Enjoy your V2. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Sorry that you’ve been upset by some comments. Feelings are obviously running high on its merits and otherwise. Some of us have lost the plot somewhere between genuine knowledge and enthusiasm and the practicalities of bringing the V2 to release in rtr form. I knew before I ordered a BR l/c green version that there were a few things not as they might be. However that did not deter me from doing so and I am looking forward to receiving it hopefully early in the New Year. I might even stretch to a BR black version in due course.

Enjoy your V2. 

Thanks for your kind comments Ian. I hope you enjoy your V2 as well.

I just wish it wasn't as expensive as it was, otherwise I would have had both versions.

Cheers,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Thanks for your kind comments Ian. I hope you enjoy your V2 as well.

I just wish it wasn't as expensive as it was, otherwise I would have had both versions.

Cheers,

Wholeheartedly agree with you. But that’s the way of the world now,sad to say. 

Three locomotives arrived yesterday! Rail’s Caley with sound, Rail’s Improved Precedent and the main range LNER V2 with sound. I hasten to add that I’m not awash with cash; they were ordered one at a time and money put aside for them. Bachmann used to time releases to avoid everything arriving at once but I suppose if a ship passed by, the chance was grabbed.

Of the three, I’m happiest with the V2, 4791. It runs well. At ultra low speed, there is a judder but I can’t think of a large-wheeled steamer which doesn’t. Many years ago, Bachmann produced a V2 in Darlington green. The story goes that Darlington continued to paint the locos it built in the richer shade of NE green (blind eye turned) and Bachmann made the effort of finishing the model in a different shade from that of Doncaster. Darlington also painted the cylinders green, which Doncaster didn’t. The cylinders of 4791 are green which identifies it as Darlington painted but the shade looks to me more like Doncaster.

On the subject of paint, I’m surprised that both sets of trailing wheels and all the tender wheels are black. It looks odd but for all I know it could be correct.

On the vexed subject of the trailing wheels, swapping them is a bit fiddly but a decent job has been done on them. Wheel arches have been incorporated in the chassis to allow the flanged wheels to turn. The axles run in brass bearings and a pair of tiny springs (you have been warned) hold the wheels firmly on the track. There is a huge amount of sideplay, so I should think they will negotiate quite tight curves, even if not down to second radius. Why can’t Hornby at the very least provide wheel arches?

As often noted, there is a lot of black on the cab front. A shame but I’ll just have to live with it. I have been looking through pictures of models and it seems that the Locomotion version has managed the green on the cab front rather better than any of the other LNER versions.

The sound is well put together. Inside the cab, there are two movable things resembling glare shields. I doubt that there would have been one for the  fireman and I suspect that they are intended to cover or reveal the light from the firehole on the model. They are most definitely not firehole doors. When moving, the flickering red is supposed to be supplemented by a steady yellow but I haven’t observed the yellow. Time before Christmas is too short to allow a picture, I fear.

I forgot to mention that I recognise the loco-tender connection from DMUs. It’s large and clumsy looking but at least it avoids a tangle of wires, which can be troublesome.

Edited by No Decorum
I forgot to mention.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Inside the cab, there are two movable things resembling glare shields. I doubt that there would have been one for the  fireman and I suspect that they are intended to cover or reveal the light from the firehole on the model. They are most definitely not firehole doors. When moving, the flickering red is supposed to be supplemented by a steady yellow but I haven’t observed the yellow. Time before Christmas is too short to allow a picture, I fear.

Indeed there were sheilds provided on both sides. Why should the fireman have bright glare in his eyes when he's sitting down and/or trying to keep a lookout for signals? :-p

"Green Arrow". View of cab internals.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I ran 4771 up the club today with a respectable 10 coach train. I reckon it would have happily had one or two more behind it. Happy to see you can fit the drain cocks and have no issues on curves.

8A2D41BA-7054-4140-890D-A45F682010D8.jpeg

Edited by PeterH
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The more I look at the Apple Green ones the more I think , aside from getting the model right in the first place, they should have continued the blunder of the thick black line down to the running plate and it conversely would have been less evident that one that appears to stop in the middle of nowhere as the corect black line below is near invisible in comparison.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The more I look at the Apple Green ones the more I think , aside from getting the model right in the first place, they should have continued the blunder of the thick black line down to the running plate and it conversely would have been less evident that one that appears to stop in the middle of nowhere as the corect black line below is near invisible in comparison.

What you suggest is impossible. Most of the black line is (incorrectly) on the cab front sheet which tapers down towards the bottom of the firebox. Where the line ends now is where the front of the cab sheet basically stops. Had Bachmann got it right and put most of the black on the firebox they could have correctly continued down further. The only solution  is for Bachmann to retool thw cab, removing the lip and extending the green, and issuing replacement cabs for those who want to fit.

P4053178.jpg

12 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

What you suggest is impossible. Most of the black line is (incorrectly) on the cab front sheet which tapers down towards the bottom of the firebox. Where the line ends now is where the front of the cab sheet basically stops. Had Bachmann got it right and put most of the black on the firebox they could have correctly continued down further. The only solution  is for Bachmann to retool thw cab, removing the lip and extending the green, and issuing replacement cabs for those who want to fit.

P4053178.jpg

And redo the just as bad Smoke Box Front moulding, adding Rivets to the edge where required (not behind the gap as done) and closing the gap between the Boiler and Smokebox  mouldings..

• Like 1

If I got one in LNER livery very very cheaply, I'd scrape the representation of the joint cover-strip very carefully off the cab front, repaint it to a matching green (mixed if necessary) and then reinstate lining in the correct places (thus suggesting the presence of the cover strip), as well as doing something about that smokebox front and dodgy rear wheelset. But as I already have two V2s which may not be absolutely perfect but which are the result of my own efforts, and as I model the late thirties period (and a place) in which even two V2s are slightly excessive, I certainly won't be paying anything but an "irresistably tempting" price for another clearly imperfect one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 22/12/2021 at 14:13, AY Mod said:

Sometimes I just have to laugh at such displays of snobbery looking down at the mortals who feel happier buying a model than stressing over making it. I'm sure they only turn up to look down on others to check they're still looking up at them. There's been quite a few in this topic already ensuring they demean anyone who dares to be content.

Catching up on this thread and noticed the comments to which you referred. 

The other side of the debate would just see the repost as you have to laugh at such displays of outdated thinking. Yes you can go and build a kit and take pride in making it, but you have to marvel that the RTR model will be digital and be able to be fitted with sound (if not already) and lighting (if needed afterwards). Often its those clinging to an analogue and romantic view that if its kit built it is better, but that is not always the case and I'd put forwards its much rarer these days given the strides made from many manufacturers in terms of products made today. 

Still... there's always one... and in ways you want them to be around. People need to be interested in kits and make them, taking pride so that there is a corner of the hobby that wants to engage with that tradition. But, just because you made a kit yourself, doesnt make your engine any better than RTR and certainly not in the case of the owner of the latest RTR engine who beams with pride for the engine they now own sat on their layout. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1