Basford North

dibateg

I finally got around to drawing out the storage yard in preparation for the control panel. Its rather over complicated, but I've built in flexibility for more changes of mind!

IMG_4572_edited-3.jpg.a93181c269cccd0853c3adaad7318762.jpg

I exploited the good weather yesterday to lash up a control panel. One day I might put in a lever frame. It will do for the moment. I've skewed the Brooklyn Road bridge a bit more and tested moving the Park Lane bridge further East, I think that will work better, although really wanted to avoid a skew bridge there.

IMG_4574.JPG.4c551b37ed1b4fd72bdd0e2fe7db9f7d.JPG

• Like 2

The down Bagthorpe line is the through one, one of the up lines will be kept clear for through running.... possibly...

I've been preparing drawings for some of the buildings that I mocked up, starting with the signal box and the buildings on the up platform. All estimated from photos, as I have no actual drawings for them.

IMG_4587.JPG.05a7da0d6cb9af1f370604a9b6a4ad78.JPG

IMG_4586.JPG.aa2ea2e705e23187de60fb70b4660a0a.JPG

The rail joiner situation for the storage yard is resolved a speculative purchase proved fruitful, they fit the C&L bullhead rail perfectly.

IMG_4589.JPG.04006a7e1a6f54cc0b37dcae1ee34946.JPG

Work on the backscene continues as well as the design for the control panel for the storage yard. More to follow soon...

• Like 2

Now that the good weather has finished, I can duck out of jobs outside that 'er indoors has found for me. Now I have the rail joiners, I've had a push today to get the storage sidings laid.
On the right is a headshunt for trains backing out of the dead end Down Victoria sidings with a loco spur alongside. We'll see how that works in practice. Minimum radius throughout is 6 feet.

IMG_4612.JPG.2410854139ad7985cc498768c93958f7.JPG

Down Victoria sidings on the left, with the down line from Bagthorpe Junction curving round. Bulwell common line in the background. Main lines will be in the centre.

IMG_4610.JPG.6ec1d3a9d61b935b7b57c59e402aeb98.JPG

Now to wire it up and fit point motors...

• Like 9

I've had another go at the backscene to give it a bit more contrast. It doesn't show well here, but it's a bit bluer at the top.

34495901_IMG_4633(2).JPG.f9376dfb6a8ffdf91fe71a6fc05da3e2.JPG

It was a nice afternoon yesterday so I knocked up the control panel for the storage yard. I prefer to cut the wood outside if I can, it minimises the dust in the railway room. So its just a paper printout on hardboard as a temporary arrangement.

169426581_IMG_4631(2).JPG.27a131566a14b66902003087b438bbfa.JPG

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted for a while, but work continues in the background. Mostly power wiring, connecting droppers and fitting point motors. There were plenty of them to prepare. I bulk bought Tortoises a good few years ago, they seem a little difficult to get hold of new at the moment.

IMG_4683.JPG.fc30bc60047bbc729cf34e63e46c1b3b.JPG

DLOS kindly machined me some more point blades, and on their delivery, I've been able to proceed with the last of the running line turnouts, namely the long GN crossover, which due to the disposition of the layout has ended up on the curve at the end. Jim Guthrie kindly designed me a single slip with switched diamond, which although not prototypical for the location is necessary for reliable running. It's long - at 1.1m...

IMG_4694.JPG.92c4848283c6088dbcd3166d3efc1482.JPG

There is one more long turnout to make and then all of the main running lines can be completed.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've at last laid the main line copper clad turnouts in the storage yard which represent the lines going in the direction of Nottingham Victoria and  Bulwell common. That spare bit of sky is just stored back there at the moment to stop it getting marked. Droppers and wiring next...

IMG_4859.JPG.7630ded0e025a1cffd86215b8bd5a102.JPG

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Thank you Byron - yes I hope to incorporate some blue brick on the layout, emulating the GC line bridge over the GN line just east of Basford North station.

Its a little cold in the railway room, so I'm on a push to complete the remaining turnouts for the goods yard - just half a dozen or so to go, starting with this tandem point..

IMG_4933.JPG.74e95467ef08d19404297d942c4c1919.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now on to laying out the final parts of trackwork for the bay platform and goods yard. The 16 tonner is in the bay platform and the road to the left will pass through the goods shed. It's not fixed in place yet. At last the end of tracklaying is in sight.. Even with four feet of width, I think I might miss out the middle siding in the goods yard as it just doesn't fit and my original configuration just doesn't look right.

IMG_4969.JPG.1e954b81494dda8e12d7d47bd5fcb698.JPG

Ragstone produce some nice GNR buffer stops, so I have been preparing those.

IMG_4966.JPG.b34c021087e038dbf6349218c27efeb9.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I did end up slewing the bay platform track out from the station building by about 15mm and I did start wiring it, but it was one of those days where I kept making mistakes and ending up with shorts even with a buzzer connected across the tracks - it helps if the section of track with the buzzer does have droppers attached.... I gave up at beer o'clock.

IMG_4974.JPG.b5bdb731304700dca0367bae285e7c96.JPG

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I once did some with paper insulation behind the beam plus plastic sleepers and then spoiled it by soldering the tie rod in both sides!

Having had an exhibition layout stopped once when somebody shunted a wagon to the end of the siding and left the wheels bridging the plastic fishplates, I go belt and braces now.

The layout is looking really nice Tony. Right up my street. If it will get Valour some "running rights" I may even put a DCC chip in her!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Hold the front page!!

Mike.

I have been offered running rights on another superb layout that is DCC and I can always make it dual mode, with either a chip that allows DC or a switch.

Every once in a while somebody asks me to replace a chip or sort out a problem on a DCC loco, so I did by a set of MERG kit.

I still much prefer DC control but I have to accept that if I don't have some involvement with DCC it leaves me out of certain aspects of the hobby.

• Like 1

You can relax Tony, the outer loop is switchable to DC, so Valour would be most welcome! I always intended to have a DC circuit as not all my friends are running DCC, it also functions as a test circuit before new locos are fitted with a decoder.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, dibateg said:

You can relax Tony, the outer loop is switchable to DC, so Valour would be most welcome! I always intended to have a DC circuit as not all my friends are running DCC, it also functions as a test circuit before new locos are fitted with a decoder.

Regards

Tony

That sounds like a good idea Tony.

I may still fit chips though as I have had other offers from folk who haven't planned it that well!

That way, we could have "Valour" going one way and the "Jersey Lily" going the other!

Is there a decoder that is recommended for O Gauge that gives good running on its DC function?

That would be good..

Decoders - all mine are set to DCC only. It might be worth a call to Digitrains for advice on DC suitable decoders.

The majority of the electronics will be mounted on this panel in what will become a control cubicle, I just need to make up a shelf for the DCC kit. Ultimately it will be a lot more tidy!

IMG_4980.JPG.4e30ab320e08b95a9738c9cdd79419b0.JPG

An overall view, just a few sidings left to lay in the goods yard. One the wiring is done, I'll ask 'er indoors to make up some curtains to hide all that junk.

IMG_4986.JPG.003d3a1be07b30a5631bd9d6d494814a.JPG

Weymouth traverses the switched diamond - no issues...

IMG_4982.JPG.cbca90cbc866e4e95040614d8939bf62.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Wiring continues, but in the dire weather I've been making up the control panel for the storage yard. The front panel is only temporary at the moment and there is a lot of tidying up to do! I worked out a wiring schedule in Excel, but still needed to amend it. At least it can be updated and re-printed each time. The Vero boards are for the route setting circuits on some of the loops. One of my first jobs was making this sort of stuff, its amazing how many mistakes I still make....

1798811959_IMG_50041.JPG.5b17e988e924c140fade1024ff3c724f.JPG

Work continues - day after day. Wiring is not that exciting, but it means that soon the railway will be working. Half of the storage yard control is now wired and tested. As usual the railway room become host to household stuff and that has has to be moved out each time.. but soon it will be done and the curtains can go up. I'm finding stuff I've been hoarding for the layout for years, all those heavy PSU will be going down to the recycling centre. I used switch mode units now that are for 12v kitchen lighting. The reel of 8 core cable is dated 1995!

1996764502_IMG_50131.JPG.ae0cd9694cb197542ec4263d5470073f.JPG

• Like 2

On 17/05/2020 at 11:04, dibateg said:

314759519_BAsfordPanelV2.jpg.34e56966ada6ae772901cc896c2314de.jpg

This is an intriguing trackplan for which I am trying to work out why it existed.

Do I assume that there was a significant gradient in the down direction from Bagthorpe and Zeen Valley?  This is the main justification I can see for having a pair of down lines but only a single up to effectively allow two trains to occupy the block (parallel blocks, I appreciate)?

And there is either no passenger service on the Zeen Valley line or it always ran through to a destination in the Babbington Jct direction as only trains from Bagthorpe can come into the bay?

And why have crossover 46 when it was effectively repeated by that at 88 for no apparent advantage except possibly leaving the yard without blocking back on the Bagthorpe down line?

And what is signal 68 for unless the junction for the Bagthorpe and Zeen Valley lines is close (in which case why bother with the third line).

And why five shunt signals 22-25 & 33?

I suspect you know some of the answers; can you share as it is doing my head in!

8 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

This is an intriguing trackplan for which I am trying to work out why it existed.

Do I assume that there was a significant gradient in the down direction from Bagthorpe and Zeen Valley?  This is the main justification I can see for having a pair of down lines but only a single up to effectively allow two trains to occupy the block (parallel blocks, I appreciate)?

And there is either no passenger service on the Zeen Valley line or it always ran through to a destination in the Babbington Jct direction as only trains from Bagthorpe can come into the bay?

And why have crossover 46 when it was effectively repeated by that at 88 for no apparent advantage except possibly leaving the yard without blocking back on the Bagthorpe down line?

And what is signal 68 for unless the junction for the Bagthorpe and Zeen Valley lines is close (in which case why bother with the third line).

And why five shunt signals 22-25 & 33?

I suspect you know some of the answers; can you share as it is doing my head in!

Having known the area when I was at school nearby I can understand that it looks a bit of a hotch potch, there are several things offscene that impact on the necessary layout. I'll let Tony explain it but can I just point out it's the LEEN valley area as in river Leen.

Edited by great central
Add last sentence