Basford North

dibateg

I'm not sure I could fiit 10 coaches!

Another working day with Geoff and Alisdair has resulted in a lot of progress. There is a lot of detail work to do , but the basic scenery is taking shape.

IMG_8479.JPG.db3a4bbb31d2fa48f57c261ba5fe81fa.JPG

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now trains are running again, a previously intermittent problem came back fully. In the original plan, the points avoided the baseboard joins. When Jim kindly added the transition curves to the Templot plan, everything moved. So turnout 88 was cut across the baseboard join. In the event, I decided to make the station area permanent. What I forgot to do was to connect feed to the now isolated secions of rail, and to complicate the matter, this was one of my early turnouts with only one or two shims connecting the wing rails to the frog. So I had to make new connections and joined them underneath. I always make the connection to the underside of the rail, when it's in the web, it looks awful. A tidy up and cosmetic plastic fish plates will complete the job.

IMG_8517.JPG.84a3d541209d34243121bf53d946e3dd.JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

More rain facilitates more progress on Basford North - so to stop people and vehicles plunging over the top  of the retaining wall at the end of the back siding, I've erected a rail and tube fence - still in primer. The rod joiners were made from 1.2mm thn wall tube. When I was laying track, I retained all of the offcuts..  There still seems to be miles of fencing to put up...

IMG_8525.JPG.e2c515aadee978f88feab13781cf480d.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new addition to the Derby line fleet:- a J50 obtained at a bargain price ( certainly less than the constituant parts ) from the bring and buy at Guildex. Colwick sent a pilot daily down to Basford North and I thought this would make a change from the '350 that I've been using.
Its nicely built, but needed a little attention to the running to eliminate a tight spot. After reaming the bearings, adjusting the plunger pick ups, it turned out to be a tight coupling rod.
It just need some cosmetic springs, and a vac pipe down one side - oh and renumbering from a Hornsey resident to a Colwick one. J50s are a typical loco picking exercise, there are a lot of detail differences between batches. So a review of the RCTS and Yeadon narrowed it down to 68927. The only real fault I can find is it lacks the staring eyes of the prototype's 2ft spectacles, the ones on the model are a little undersize.. It looks like it's one of Jim's kits, currently out of production.

IMG_4230.JPG.5c40cea85b93855c2214c1fb49ad8855.JPG

• Like 7

Once you start running the layout, some of the planning deficiences come to light. There was a limited number of trains that could use the down line from Bulwell Common, so I put in a crossover between the up and down storage lines so that trains stored in a fan of sidings off the up line could run on to the down.

IMG_8705.JPG.f4052359a916d020b700003e34d9f1ed.JPG

Anyway, once wired in and tidied up, it created a direct short. I had forgotten to de-link the two closure rails. So with some choice words, it all had to come up again... Experiments to extend the wifi in to the railway room are still unsuccesful - it is a metal clad building...

IMG_8706.JPG.92b4657820ff2ae8933bac6ea158d48a.JPG

One of the movements it allows now - is 'engine and brake' from Annesley going West to a colliery pick up. Except that the fireman seems to have mistaken local passenger for light engine... Oh... and that fireman is a Modelu me!

IMG_8717.JPG.34e58f34294ccb592dd2d5dca327a6bc.JPG

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Thanks Carl - 

Work continues - adding York Modelmaking GNR signs and lamps to Peter Leyland's excellent station building. Posters have also been added now. A J50 fies by....

IMG_8738.JPG.e0b025d6c4f75752935ff905405b12e0.JPG

I'm also starting to plant the signals. Thats an odd looking moon up there!

IMG_8740.JPG.a5e69ee8ef658922d8f74fa81e48e7ca.JPG

and connect up the servos and Merg controllers underneath... still more wiring to add...

IMG_8741.JPG.d5593fd0f53e4d55850fb62a24e8154a.JPG

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

After another successful running session, my thoughts have turned back to the concrete signals - as work is well on with the electronic controls for them. There are two single posts and one bracket to make.
This is my first shot at milling out the bell shaped slots in the signal post. The protoypes do vary in the shape of the slots. All I have to do now, is taper the whole post...

IMG_8857.JPG.b11a9f96968a2f9a5989604c8f76dfac.JPG

So with some heavy filing and then finishing up with the milling machine has got me this far.

IMG_8859.JPG.cd598447803add9460540d53c1c823e9.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

More signal progress, the up and down posts for the West end of Basford North. The capabilities of the Ersa soldering iron are well demonstarted by it's abilty to solder the brass bar. Just awaiting the lamps and finishing off.

IMG_4311.JPG.abdb3cd3b1c674c5032ba22ac55ba929.JPG

The tall splitting signal for the down line from Bagthorp Junction is now taking shape.

IMG_4316.JPG.de9a4a8402ebab871f270184ab2fc114.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dibateg said:

The capabilities of the Ersa soldering iron are well demonstarted by it's abilty to solder the brass bar. Just awaiting the lamps and finishing off.

And using bar won’t half give some strength!

Paul.

23 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Interesting. Hopefully I have some etches arriving from PPD today for concrete posts but in 4mm and 2mm scales. Ultimately I will re-scale and get some 7mm scale ones done.

Stephen - I did look in to etching them, and then filling the core with something. In the event, I enjoyed the 'old school' method of machining them!

Regards

Tony

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dibateg said:

Stephen - I did look in to etching them, and then filling the core with something. In the event, I enjoyed the 'old school' method of machining them!

Regards

Tony

I got fed up with making the holes and prefer hollow posts for wiring for LEDs.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Geoff and I have started on the last area of bare baseboard for the engineers and private sidings.. It looks so much better. The pavements are now finished on Park Lane and Brooklyn Road...

IMG_9313.JPG.143a0817cb8edf1626fd34448bd76575.JPG

• Like 12